Bevan Capital

View Bevan Capital's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • How Much Should You Pay For Apple? [View article]
    Hi SA readers. First let me thank you for your valuable and diverse comments. I appreciate.
    Let me add some extra points to answer some of your questions. Fist let me say that I have expressed an opinion that it might be wrong or right. I cannot predict the future and as an analytical person I do not try to do so. I do, however, try to interpret available data and superimpose some assumptions in order to define a scenario that will provide positive returns with high probability. If you have followed the well documented and highly convincing analysis presented by dozens of experts you might have bought Apple (AAPL) at $700 with the expectation that it will go to $1,100. Was that a high probability scenario? After reviewing available data and using my judgment, I have concluded that this is not a high probability scenario within a given timeframe. I strongly believe it will go to $1,100, but first it might go below $450. And when it goes below that level we have a high probability trade.
    My proposition and view are simple. I argue not as an Apple (AAPL) customer (I use, and I love to use, my Mac, iPhone, iPad and I am very happy to pay a premium to have the privilege to be an Apple (AAPL) customer), but as an investor. My target is to beat S&P 500. This means, achieving an annualized return of more than 10-15%. I believe that Apple’s (AAPL) price band is $450-$600. I believe that if a trade is made at the lower end of this range, the chances to make a good return and beat S&P 500 are very high. As simple as that. Make a trade at the high end of this range and your chances go down.
    To return to my original point, we cannot predict future, but we can use our judgment and available data. This is exactly what I have done.
    Feb 2 07:29 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Smartphone Entry Barriers Have Ceased To Exist. Welcome To The Smartphone 2.0 Era [View article]
    I would say that is an opinion. An interpretation of recent events. For example HTC released a new super-duper phone yesterday. To me seems that anyone can do it. Thank you.
    Feb 21 05:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Investment Case For Phablets: A New Gadget That Will Capture Your Attention [View article]
    Hi Gary, thank you for your comments. Never late through! It is impossible to know Apple's plans due to secrecy. We hear about iTV, iWatch, affordable iPhone and bigger screen iPhone (aka phablet). I believe there is space for all these products, but we have to wait. I believe that we will see most of the above products this year or early next. But again this is my view.
    Mar 11 05:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Lets see for how long Apple's management can ignore this market. Samsung has made a headstart and Galaxy Note is a fantastic device. Apple must introduce a big iPhone and an affordable iPhone during the next few quarters. Apple users have the ability to choose from a variety of Macs (MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, iMac, Mac Pro), but they do not have the ability to choose phone. As the Mac experience tell us, one size (or one product) does not fit all.
    Mar 6 05:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • With international smartphone buyers clamoring for large displays and cheap Android phones spreading like wildfire in fast-growing emerging markets, "Apple’s (AAPL) competitors are finally doing a better job of making the kinds of phones that customers want," writes The New Yorker's James Surowiecki, summing up the biggest fear on investors' minds. But Apple has shown a knack for innovating its way out of tough spots, and can do so again. "Failing to build a phablet or a cheap phone may well have been mistakes, but they’re fixable mistakes." [View news story]
    Apple must behave like a "start up" and should continue to "disrupt." But that does not mean it must ignore market opportunities:
    (i) iPhone for more price conscious customers and(ii) big iPhone (aka phablet).If Apple does not do it, others (MSFT, BBRY, NOK) will. Samsung is altady there (Galaxy Note II).I have analysed the case for phablets here:http://seekingalpha.co...
    Mar 2 04:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you winner12, please check my instablog. I have added tables in inches.
    Mar 2 09:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Leave Apple's Cash Alone - It Will Need It Soon [View article]
    Apple eventually will distribute cash to shareholders. There are several ways to do that. A prudent manager will need to think and implement the best possible distribution approach - dividends etc. Apple's management need to clarify their position to stop speculative trading (e.g. iPref) and unnecessary stock pressure.
    Mar 1 06:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Davy, they may have rejected the phablet concept years ago. That is possible. My humble opinion is that the 5" market is too big to be ignored. The 5" phone does not appeal to the 4" phone user. This is a different market. A watch (and Glass) could easily be the next big thing, but when? Thanks.
    Feb 28 05:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I agree. Samsung offers Android, bada and Windows phones. Tizen is coming.
    Feb 28 05:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you, I like that. Tim I am coming!!! (lol)
    Feb 28 05:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Atmit, what I mean by market is the assemblage of companies doing the same thing. Nokia absolutely did that. Samsung has not done that. Apart from Note there is no other product in the market. I tried to create a list with all products and apart from Note I have not found any other (at least in the US and Europe).
    20 millions is massive, but is 20 millions by one company. I think Apple with shake the market, but I might be wrong. Nokia, Sony, Microsoft, Google, Blackberry, HTC and some others might do it, but I will not bet my money on it. Thanks.
    Feb 28 05:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi randomroyalty. Thank you for you comment, but I would not agree with the "remarkable ignorance."
    The idea of Blackberry running an other OS is a business decision. Is a pure business decision.
    As you may know Macs had to run on Windows at some point. Can you imagine Apple an OS company running on Windows? Is hard to believe but is true.
    When Apple had to try to persuade PC users to use Macs, Macs had the capability to run Windows. I quote Tim Cook (yes the CEO) saying: "It sends shivers up my spine, but the fact is it's working."
    Thank you.
    Feb 22 03:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you for you comment. Please provide a link.
    Feb 21 05:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you very much for your comment. Please add a link to the source.
    Feb 21 09:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Preferred Shares Alchemy And Why It Does Not Work [View article]
    Hi jbcm, Apple operates in several countries and it is not uncommon foreign operations to be structured as separate legal entities. Apple as of the end of September 2012, has deferred tax liabilities of $14.9 billion. A good piece of it (or all) is deferred as a result of undistributed foreign earnings. Apple's foreign reserves are more or less $90 billion. Assuming that all tax liabilities are due (as a result of bad tax planning, tax credits, or otherwise), Apple's foreign repatriated reserves will be $75 billion. I am not a tax expert, but I believe buy-back is not tax exempt.
    Feb 13 06:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment