BigRiverReport

View BigRiverReport's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Apache, Calling Out The CEO [View article]
    Thank you pentiuminvestor. Yes, such an action as you describe it is indeed a travesty. I am not familiar with the lawsuit.

This is America, we have freedom of speech.

A CEO has a right to run a business without torturous interference and an article expressing a negative opinion of the CEO's performance and compensation would not qualify as torturous interference. It's my guess that the situation you are referring to was elevated to a level where the CEO is making a case that he is unable to conduct his business due to certain actions taken by the investor.

I am trying to work with management or find someone who is better positioned than I am to work with management in order to right the ship.

APA could provide an outstanding opportunity for investors if the company outlines a strategy for growing shareholder value that makes sense, sets clear goals and objectives to achieving this strategy and executes and achieves the goals and objectives.

This is America! The article is not an attack on any individual or company. I am simply looking for an opportunity to make money, and in doing so I hope that my actions will help make Apache stronger for all of the stakeholders.
    Mar 21, 2013. 05:03 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apache, Calling Out The CEO [View article]
    yoyoma, Mr. Farris has not been at APA 20 years. In the investing world, 5 years is an extremely long period of time.
    Mar 21, 2013. 10:52 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM: Checking The Corporate Temperature [View article]
    Thank you deanbowker.
    May 6, 2013. 09:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM's Earnings: 2 Strikes On CEO Rometty [View article]
    Thank you for checking on past call attendance. I believe this time is different, because the quarter was such a disaster. IBM appears to be facing serious challenges from Cloud Computing and the CEO needs to step up and address the problems and proposed solutions so that investors can make informed decisions.
    Apr 23, 2013. 11:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apache, Show Us The Money [View article]
    sjm-cfa, excessive is your term, not mine, and it's a relative term. I contend that $2 billion is not a small shortfall for any organization, governments included.

I don't know whether or not APA is creating long term shareholder value. That's the purpose of this process, developing the APA investment idea with you and others.I am trying to gather the facts in order to make a determination.

Egypt is definitely part of the equation, thank you for sharing this and the other helpful information regarding the asset sale achieved with Chevron during February.
    Mar 6, 2013. 05:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Title Bout: Buffett Vs. Icahn [View article]
    I don't necessarily think Heinz will outperform the S&P 500, and it looks like Berkshire could lag the S&P 500 over the five years ending 12/31/13. But I like Heinz because its easier to hold it through the difficult times and HNZ has continued to pay a dividend during difficult times. If you need your money when Berkshire is down, it tough luck. I'm trying to answer your question, but it's not cut and dried. I don't own Heinz because I think it will outperform Berkshire or the S&P 500.

To Mr. Buffett's credit. The game is about making money not a track record of good returns
    Mar 5, 2013. 02:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Title Bout: Buffett Vs. Icahn [View article]
    I'll try to answer the above. The good Mr. Icahn has done during his investment career has been to keep executives from taking advantage of the shareholding public. He is one of the few individuals out there whose efforts keep corporate executives in check, to a degree.

I concede that the pursuit of profit alone can be debtrimental to society, and I don't have all of the facts to be able to discuss Hammermill Paper.

Mr. Icahn could step in for two reasons: 1) the potential for profit as I believe the Buffett offer leaves a lot of room for negotiation at a higher price, perhaps as much as 40% higher 2) Mr. Icahn has been vilified many times throughout his career, as he is being vilified in this blog, but he has made his career standing for shareholders. The HNZ arbitrage trade provides him with an opportunity to stand for shareholders, as the investing public is being sold out too cheap by management.
    Feb 28, 2013. 07:25 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Heinz Buyout: Is It A Good Deal? [View article]
    I agree with your $100 price valuation for HNZ. You can review my article titled: Will you take on Mr. Buffett? to see how I compare HNZ to Hershey (HSY) in order to provide a similar valuation using the comparables.
    Feb 26, 2013. 02:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Buffett Offer, Heinz Versus Hershey [View article]
    You are right Tom!
    Feb 21, 2013. 09:34 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Sequester And Current Economic Conditions [View article]
    With US GDP over $16 Trillion, how will reducing government spending by $85 billion during 2013 severely reduce economic activity? The government is not suppose to be in the business of creating economic actrivity. Take a look at Greece. That will eventually happen in the US if we don't reduce the spending.
    Feb 19, 2013. 10:27 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM: Checking The Corporate Temperature [View article]
    Thank you Arne. I am contacting IBM to get their response to your article.
    May 6, 2013. 09:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM: Checking The Corporate Temperature [View article]
    In response to the two above, in that case, IBM needs to eliminate their media contact positions and not pay multiple people salaries to respond to these requests. However, since IBM is employing people to answer media requests, then these people need to be doing their jobs and responding to the requests.
    May 6, 2013. 09:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM: Checking The Corporate Temperature [View article]
    You are wrong Cre8Value. I apologized for not going through the correct channel to reach APA CEO. I stated in an article that APA CEO was unresponsive to an email. APA CEO responded that the email never reached him. I apologized for that.
    May 6, 2013. 09:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM: CEO Rometty's Challenge [View article]
    I have read and appreciate all of the above posts. Thank you!
    Apr 29, 2013. 12:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM's Earnings: 2 Strikes On CEO Rometty [View article]
    zoroast100, in my view, CEO compensation only excessive when the CEO doesn't earn it. I'm glad for CEOs to reach for the stars and to get paid incredible sums when they perform (performing CEOs add to value chain and bring benefits to many). I believe that outsized compensation is justified to motivate CEOs and for accepting the enormous responsibility. However, I agree with you 100% about failing CEOs losing money while productive workers lose their jobs. As you say, it is a shame. While I'm in favor of giving people time to execute, there is no excuse for allowing a failing CEO to stay on the job. The stakeholders (Board, shareholders, employees, ect) are the only parties who can bring about a CEO change and that is why I write the articles. I hope that bringing attention to failure will either motivate the CEO to perform or motivate the stakeholders to call for the CEO to be replaced.
    Apr 22, 2013. 03:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment