Bill Maurer

View Bill Maurer's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Sprint Continues To Be Desperate [View article]
    Apparently you don't read a lot of short ideas on this site then, because the majority of them where people hold positions are constantly criticized.
    Aug 28, 2015. 03:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sprint Continues To Be Desperate [View article]
    As a general rule, I try not to trade/invest in what I write about.

Because had I been short, I would have been accused of trying to manipulate the stock.

So either way, I'm gonna get criticized. I'd prefer to take the criticism when I don't have skin in the game.
    Aug 28, 2015. 02:52 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sprint Continues To Be Desperate [View article]
    That's the million dollar question. Bankruptcy has always been discussed, but perhaps Softbank comes in first and buys out all the remaining shares.

Bond holders have preference to equity in bankruptcy, but it's hard to say what will happen because it is hard to value spectrum and such.
    Aug 28, 2015. 02:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sprint Continues To Be Desperate [View article]
    Nothing wrong, except Sprint is in terrible shape.
    Aug 28, 2015. 02:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sprint Continues To Be Desperate [View article]
    The latest update on short interest was from when the stock was in the high $3 - low $4 range. I expect that some of the recent rally was due to covering, but will that be outweighed by new shorts entering?

The "free" year still costs them, in terms of advertising, customer support, network upkeep, phone/plan buyouts, etc.

Plus, the company continues to trade in subs with $90/month contracts for ones that are $30 - $40. That can't last forever.
    Aug 28, 2015. 02:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Altria Rewards Investors: 2015 Edition [View article]
    Depends on the situation and what you are looking for.

Most pure income potential - PM. Also preferred name if dollar continues to weaken.

As per MO/RAI - I like MO right now because yield is higher and you're not paying as much for it, when you include the buyback.
    Aug 24, 2015. 06:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Not Afraid To Buy? 5 Names To Consider [View article]
    Apple could easily find a bottom if management comes out with a big US debt offering or details another accelerated buyback program.
    Aug 22, 2015. 11:41 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Not Afraid To Buy? 5 Names To Consider [View article]
    No, because I'm still in the process of writing about it.
    Aug 22, 2015. 11:41 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Not Afraid To Buy? 5 Names To Consider [View article]
    Actually Zillow might be the one I might consider the most, and I have traded it in the past.

I cover too many names to own everything I write about.
    Aug 22, 2015. 10:36 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Not Afraid To Buy? 5 Names To Consider [View article]
    Only thing that worries me about QCOM is the potential for INTC to start stealing away some of the iPhone business.
    Aug 22, 2015. 09:21 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Not Afraid To Buy? 5 Names To Consider [View article]
    There were 5 companies, and I think you really need to find a better use of your time.
    Aug 22, 2015. 09:20 AM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Not Afraid To Buy? 5 Names To Consider [View article]
    I've written enough articles on Apple lately, so it would have just been repetitive information.
    Aug 22, 2015. 09:20 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: More Fat Trimming Is Needed [View article]
    The cash accretive is in relation to the dividend, yes.

Apple, for instance, borrows short term debt at say 1.5% after tax, but buys back stock with a 1.80% dividend yield.

So there is a savings of 0.3% there because it saves more on the dividend than it is paying in after tax interest.

Blackberry doesn't have a dividend.

Also, BBRY is paying 6% annual interest, with a bond that is convertible at $10 a share, and their buyback is coming at say $7-$8 a share.
    Aug 20, 2015. 02:09 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Should Take Advantage Of Rate Pullback [View article]
    That's the standard SA disclosure place.
    Aug 20, 2015. 08:55 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Should Take Advantage Of Rate Pullback [View article]
    I disagree. Last time they made the announcement, the stock jumped and a floor was set. Announcing it puts a line in the sand.
    Aug 19, 2015. 08:44 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment