Bill Maurer

View Bill Maurer's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple: Debating U.S. iPhone Upgrade Challenges [View article]
    The installed base above is US only.
    May 21, 2015. 01:25 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: We May See 3 New iPhones In September [View article]
    Luckily the Apple Watch could prevent that from happening, along with the potential launch of the larger screen iPad.
    May 5, 2015. 12:50 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: We May See 3 New iPhones In September [View article]
    I was just using that as a naming example to distinguish the three different models (plus, regular, mini).
    May 4, 2015. 11:50 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: We May See 3 New iPhones In September [View article]
    I did read a report a few weeks ago that they could abandon the numbers as early as this year. Don't know if it will happen, but perhaps things will eventually change.
    May 4, 2015. 10:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: We May See 3 New iPhones In September [View article]
    My take on low-end phones was that those who wanted Apple to launch them should not criticize Apple if it does and as a result margins are dinged a little. Can't have it both ways.

I would only want Apple to go with a low-end phone if it can maintain decent margins. I don't want an iPad mini like scenario where the margins are well below that of the main product version.
    May 4, 2015. 10:37 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Examining The iPhone's Quarterly Impact [View article]
    Interesting discussion here. Will Apple be allowed to get to $200, or will it need to split before then because it is now in the Dow. Visa was eventually forced to split, but I don't know what the powers at be want the ideal situation to be going forward.
    Apr 22, 2015. 09:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Examining The iPhone's Quarterly Impact [View article]
    Remember though that Facebook hasn't existed for more than a decade. As Facebook evolves into a more mature name, the P/E will definitely come down.
    Apr 21, 2015. 08:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Examining The iPhone's Quarterly Impact [View article]
    Agree with the sentiment regarding Apple, but I must make one correction regarding FB - The company did have $2.94 billion in GAAP profits last year after $1.5 billion in 2013.
    Apr 21, 2015. 07:44 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Examining The iPhone's Quarterly Impact [View article]
    If Apple doesn't come close to 57-59 million iPhone units, the stock will probably be in big trouble.
    Apr 21, 2015. 05:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Examining The iPhone's Quarterly Impact [View article]
    I agree about the longer upgrade cycles, and I discussed it in my "What's going on with the iPad article".

However, for the point of this article, I was just mentioning that due to the sales decline of the iPad, the iPhone represents a larger portion of revenues and thus is more important to Apple. Wasn't meant to be a shot at the iPad, just a fact about how the company's revenues are trending from product to product.
    Apr 21, 2015. 04:54 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Examining The iPhone's Quarterly Impact [View article]
    I agree with the iPad being a bit weak - I haven't put out my final predictions for the quarter yet but they tend to agree with some of your statements.
    Apr 21, 2015. 02:33 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Examining The iPhone's Quarterly Impact [View article]
    Everyone has their own way of estimating sales - just look at the wide range among analysts out there. Plus, Apple's fiscal period doesn't 100% match a calendar quarter, so there is always some wiggle room there for a small difference.
    Apr 21, 2015. 02:33 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Examining The iPhone's Quarterly Impact [View article]
    Because I don't like to own what I write about. Allows me to have a more balanced view and not be influenced by any money on the line.
    Apr 21, 2015. 01:43 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Examining The iPhone's Quarterly Impact [View article]
    This article is completely different than PM, and currencies were not the large part of this. It's an earnings preview article, and covering the iPhone is a significant part of that.
    Apr 21, 2015. 01:11 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Examining The iPhone's Quarterly Impact [View article]
    I don't think it will be higher, just because there is a natural sequential decline as the phone gets older, plus we have the currency issue in many areas. Key to the quarter may be how far it does fall.
    Apr 21, 2015. 01:02 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment