Bio Insights

View Bio Insights' Comments BY TICKER:
  • The "stock market actually hates technology," writes Marc Andreessen, but stop worrying about valuation and instead realize that software firms (ETF: IGV) "are poised to take over large swathes of the economy." The dream of the early 1990s - a "fully digitally wired" global economy - has nearly arrived. The upheaval is just getting started.  [View news story]
    Indeed!
    Aug 20, 2011. 12:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Yeah - in the long run technology is the main component in society which changes over time. If I had to hold stocks for a lifetime they'd be in healthcare and technology (although some healthcare advances are technological advancements simultaneously)
    Aug 20, 2011. 11:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Next Stop: S&P 1,000 [View article]
    I don't see a break of 1,000 which was the support made last year. I think we'll need a few more bad numbers. Admittedly, I'm probably not as bearish as I should be short-term. A hint at a contracting Germany is a tough cookie to swallow.

Either way I'm waiting for earnings season - if most of those numbers are bad I'll be officially scared.
    Aug 18, 2011. 10:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Recent Speculative Calls by Jim Cramer [View article]
    I completely agree with your opinion. I don't like Sony for the long run, and I really like ORCL (especially for this upcoming autumn) and BBY for yield and slow growth
    Aug 17, 2011. 03:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Pfizer by the Numbers [View article]
    You're right David, I made a mistake there. Just emailed the corrections department. Thank you for pointing it out.
    Aug 17, 2011. 01:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Pfizer by the Numbers [View article]
    Hey Ed, the only thing with the dividends is that they have gone down in 2009 and haven't reached that high yet. To be fair, the yield is still incredible so its hard to fault the company.
    Aug 17, 2011. 10:17 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM's Earnings Growth: Overrated or Just Beginning? [View article]
    Sorry if my writing clouded what I wanted to say - IBM isn't bulletproof since its growth is reliant on the expanding economies of the BRIC nations. But still, the risk to reward ratio looks very favorable. Besides, it's IBM! The reputation alone makes it harder to sell the company in the event of a market downturn.
    Aug 15, 2011. 05:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Snapshot of Upstream Oil: Halliburton and Schlumberger [View article]
    I'm looking forward to looking at oil exploration companies in the future. Thank you for the information.

From economic theory, the concept of economic profits makes the HAL & SLB "leveraged-association" with oil more sensible. If oil increases enough so that a return on investment will be higher than other commodities, there would be a big rush to drill more. For instance, after 2008's highs I'm sure that when oil hit its lowest prices in years it was barely profitable to drill for oil relative to other potential operations. Oilfield operations scaled down drastically, which meant little business for HAL or SLB.
    Aug 15, 2011. 05:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM's Earnings Growth: Overrated or Just Beginning? [View article]
    You're right, when doctors offices stop using inefficient fax machines to keep paper copies of patient histories there will be a huge market for IT healthcare products. Another reason to own growth oriented IT firms
    Aug 14, 2011. 02:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • VIX Suggests Investors Don't Believe Today's Rally Is Sustainable [View article]
    I liked the article. I agree - VIX hasn't moved down enough yet to assume bull move is over. But if VIX manages to breach ~35 again there could be another huge downturn, who really knows at this point
    Aug 11, 2011. 05:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford by the Numbers [View article]
    I never claimed that there was anything wrong with it, just that the underlying sales don't display a trend that correlates well with earnings. If they only boost EPS through decreasing liabilities now how will they boost EPS later?

If underlying sales go back to their prior levels, yes F will be amazing again, but that's if.
    Aug 11, 2011. 04:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • J.P. Morgan Warns Gold to Go Parabolic and Rise to $2,500 by Year's End [View article]
    Entirely possible, not to mention that such a speculative commodity is pretty much impossible to predict without a crystal ball.
    Aug 10, 2011. 10:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    So either gold is in a huge speculative bubble, or the entirety of the western world is going to economically implode. I think I'll take my chances on the bubble since I see gold ads all over the place and angry retorts if I bring something like this up. JPM's target is entirely possible if gold reaches the late bubble stage early.
    Aug 10, 2011. 10:57 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford by the Numbers [View article]
    Indeed, car sales are lower and like you said they might not improve. That was part of the basis for this article. I knew it'd be unpopular because it's a popular value play right now, but this was the most rational counter-argument in a comment I've come across in a while. Thank you for the comment
    Aug 10, 2011. 03:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford by the Numbers [View article]
    As stated I don't have a position in the stock and one article is not going to have an impact on a 40 billion dollar company. Also if you can elaborate as to why ford is one of the best companies to buy with some data I'd honestly consider your point of view.
    Aug 10, 2011. 03:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment