Bob McTeer

View Bob McTeer's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • The Fed Has Not Been Printing Boatloads Of Money [View article]
    My rule for money growth has always been an amount equal to the growth potential of the real economy, which is fairly large when you have 7.7 percent unemployment. The desired money growth, of course, must take velocity changes into account. For the past couple of years we've had about 7.5% money growth partially offset by a 3.5% decline in velocity, yielding a 4.0 percent nominal GDP growth, split evenly betweein 2% real growth and 2% inflation. That's a bit on the low side.
    Mar 22 03:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fed Has Not Been Printing Boatloads Of Money [View article]
    Thanks. I was thinking primarily of James Grant when I wrote that. His interview on "Closing Bell" is what prompted my piece. His intellect is second to none. He just starts out with a false premise.

Bob
    Mar 22 03:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fed Has Not Been Printing Boatloads Of Money [View article]
    Even with the large jump last month, both the CPI and the Core CPI were up 2 percent over the past 12 months.
    Bob
    Mar 22 03:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yen Confusion: A Teaching Moment [View article]
    Why would Japanese QE cause a flight into Yen if U.S. QE causes a flight out of the dollar.
    Bob
    Mar 19 07:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yen Confusion: A Teaching Moment [View article]
    Probably not, but the sharp move in the Yen so soon doesn't seem to jibe with such longer run considerations.
    Bob
    Mar 19 07:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yen Confusion: A Teaching Moment [View article]
    I'm sure you speak for many. I do the best I can.
    Bob
    Mar 19 07:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yen Confusion: A Teaching Moment [View article]
    Well, those were in place well before the abrupt run-up in the Yen.
    Bob
    Mar 19 07:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yen Confusion: A Teaching Moment [View article]
    To Lee:

Good idea, but I already have one and had to get a small car to fit in my two-car garage. Let's all go out and buy larger garages.

Bob
    Mar 19 07:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • On Printing Money [View article]
    Your suggestion about addressing issues sounds reasonable, and I'd be inclined to follow it had you not called me corrupt just a few minutes earlier. I guess I'll just let the post speak for itself.
    Dec 24 07:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Who Pays for Financial Reform? [View article]
    To Levin70:

The savings and loans that you mention were insured by the FSLIC, not the FDIC.

Bob McTeer
    Jul 24 07:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pay, Bonuses and Perks: Corporate View vs. Populist View [View article]
    Responding to the Mad Hedge Fund Trader, I thought I had made it clear that I defer to the business judgment of those who set the bonuses or compensation plans. I have to assume they are trying to maximize profits or shareholder value and that they believe their compensation arrangements will do that. My point was simply that it's hard for me to understand how they arrive as such high numbers. Looks like lower numbers would do the trick. In any case, as I said, it's their decision to make; not mine.

Bob McTeer