Bob Wells

View Bob Wells' Comments BY TICKER:
    DS

You might find that as your Contenders age more and more will become Champions. I have found that being "recession proven" is key. When I was in the primary construction phase of our portfolio I found what I felt was the best combination of current yield and dividend growth among the Contenders. That's why they make up the largest percentage of my holding among the Three CCC classes.

On a lighter note....That will be some party! Maybe if we all behave we can talk the assisted living van driver to take us to the Rolling Stones - 83rd Anniversary Tour. It's only Rock and Roll but I Like It!

Nov 26, 2014. 08:17 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    EyeBelieve

Can't speak for others but my findings did seems to suggest that risk adverse investors, living on income streams in retirement might be careful with financials - especially banks.

Don't know about financials as a good cyclical trade, since I'm not by nature a trader. But hey that's just me.

Take Care
    Nov 25, 2014. 02:15 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    State

Well stated.

Thanks for stopping.

Nov 25, 2014. 02:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    David

Great point! Not sure about dividend cuts for the Market as a whole but it sure does speak well particularly for the Dividend Champions, Contenders and Recession Tested Challengers.

Hope to get materials that will let me look closer at cuts between 2000-2002. I have a feeling there may be much to learn from that. Hey this old investigator can't help it. Just collecting evidence from the crime scence so to speak.

Nov 25, 2014. 02:03 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks mr

I do have two smaller positions in banks BMO and BNS, neither of which cut their dividend. I can't help but think that if a company cut before, cutting again becomes a little easier.

Nov 25, 2014. 01:52 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Maverick

Preferreds are not something I've studied. I would really need to the spend some time on them before investing. For now at least some of the terms are hard to understand.

Where higher current yield is the top consideration and dividend growth of secondary important they might have a part to play.

Thanks
    Nov 25, 2014. 01:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    DT

You got ahead of me on that one. Miz reminded me of those recently and I'll be discussing at more length at that time.

Not sure I could do this without David and all his work. I'm sure countless others feel the same way.

Nov 25, 2014. 01:42 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    dj

I appreciate the kind words. I agree about diversification but view it a bit different. I've chosen to be light banks, tech and materials in part because of beta. More Consumer Staples than Discretionary for the same reason.

That's the beauty of this approach, we get to make those choices, not someone else.

Nov 25, 2014. 01:38 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    dolson...

The hardest thing I've learned to accept since I started is that a loss has already happened. That particular stock has already lost money.

Now the issue becomes if I didn't own that stock might I own it today. I owned three of the stocks you mentioned. With LNCO I answered no. I realized the company had a business model that I didn't understand. Others no doubt feel comfortable but I no longer did. SDRL and TCAP are two companies I understand. They are both on the bench. Both were low conviction positions from the start so they each represent positions small than 1.5%.

Take care
    Nov 25, 2014. 01:32 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    dabjr

Just to add a bit to the great response from diamondjimbob. Don't know if you're retired but "an income stream of $40,000" means just that $40,000 to help pay for the investor's period of retirement.

A 30% drop in capital is only a loss if you sell capital. Over time capital goes up and down in equity investment no matter what style of investment a person prefers.

I like a low beta DG approach. My portfolio has an overall beta 38% lower than the market. It is likely the low beta DG stocks that I own would incur significantly lower drops in value than the market as a whole. This is supported by their performance during the last two bear markets.

In addition I like that I can control position and sector size, something I can't do with an index or mutual fund.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Nov 25, 2014. 01:18 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is VDIGX A Good Dividend Growth Investment? [View article]
    SDS

That's what make longrangedata.com such a great site.

Nov 25, 2014. 12:14 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • With Dividends 'The First Cut Is The Deepest' - Or Is It? [View article]
    Thanks Bill. Nice to be back.

Nov 25, 2014. 12:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mbn

Like you said many variables...much to consider.

Nov 25, 2014. 12:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for comment Hack.

Good luck moving forward.

Nov 25, 2014. 12:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Rose

Always great to hear from you.

Nov 25, 2014. 12:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment