Bob Wells

View Bob Wells' Comments BY TICKER:
  • How Much Kinder Morgan Is Too Much For A Dividend Growth Investor? - Part 2 [View article]
    Travel4

I'm with Gabby on this one. SE has gotten a lot of traction of late apparently because of Josh Peters recommendation. Like Gabby say s there are a number of question marks concerning the stock. Let me add the fact that one of its two MLPs - DPM doesn't have investment grade credit. It was also hit among the hardest in the last recession losing over 70% of its value. For me at least SE wouldn't be a SWAN particularly in the current environment particularly since I'dd be taking a one percent haircut on yield.

Just my opinion and you know what those are worth!

Aug 19, 2015. 09:02 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can ETFs Outperform Individual Stock Picks? [View article]
    Zug

Hate to dampen your party but be sure to remember the 18% drop in distribution rate after the last recession, Even higher for SPY. Someday you'll be retired and things like this will matter.

Aug 18, 2015. 08:51 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can ETFs Outperform Individual Stock Picks? [View article]
    Dave:

Your exercise would prove more meaningful to those of us in the distribution stage if you would focus from that perspective.

Use the assumption of a 4% withdraw of income adjusted each year for inflation. Show what actual quarterly dollar figures of dividend income would be for each quarter. This is important because distribution consistency is important to many retired investors. Where/If shares need to be sold - show where and how often that proved necessary and deduct the costs involved in the process.

One of the real pluses of a 50 stock hand selected DG portfolio to me is fact that my quarterly distributions are consistent and don't produce the need to sell shares for necessary income.

Take Care and Thanks
    Aug 18, 2015. 07:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • There Is Wisdom In The Crowd, But You Have To Listen Carefully And Filter Out The Noise. [View instapost]
    Nathan

Nice work! You have developed a real focus that will I'm sure evolve into your furnished plan. Make sure to share that with us all!

Thanks for all the great questions you have asked. I have always been greatly enriched by our exchanges.

Take care
    Aug 16, 2015. 08:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Emotion Vs. Reason: Sell, Buy Or Hold - Recent Examples To Consider [View article]
    Henry

I agree it tough to watch the value of your positions take a plunge. Like you I tested the water with High Yield stocks. For me the final nail in the coffin was SDRL. Fortunately I didn't have a full position. When you study the history of dividend cuts
    you quickly come to the conclusion that investment grade quality matters.

I have now purged my portfolio of all stocks that don't enjoy investment grade credit . Most of my holdings are BBB+ of higher and raised their dividend through the last recession.

Do the research and I'm sure you'll reach the same conclusion.

Take care and good luck moving forward.

Aug 15, 2015. 01:50 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Dividend Growth Investing (DGI) A Fad? [View article]
    Zug

I use the actual CCC lists as my bench mark for comparing dividend growth. I can customize it to meet all of the things I requiring in a holding like Investment Grade Credit and recession proven sustained dividend growth. I have a modified CCC list of all the Champions, Contenders and Challengers that meet those qualifiers and their respective dividend growth rates. All thanks to a little help with Excel and David Fish.

Aug 14, 2015. 05:04 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Dividend Growth Investing (DGI) A Fad? [View article]
    Zug

Neither S&P 500 or NOBL really parallel my Dividend Growth portfolio. I have found that certain etfs work well. XLU and ones for my Reits and MLPS. If I discovered that I was significantly under performing against these benchmarks, it could lead to changes in my portfolio make up.

Aug 14, 2015. 12:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dugan Family Retirement Investment Plan [View article]
    Dennis

An outstanding piece of work. I'm sure to will assist countless retired investors in better achieving their retirement goals.

There is in my opinion know greater gift an investor can give their family than a well thought out portfolio business plan.

Take care
    Aug 11, 2015. 06:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 20 Dividend Growth Stocks To Buy Today For Your Retirement Portfolios: Part 1 [View article]
    Dave

Its almost like the anti-dividend growth stock etf with these dividend cutters all part of the top 20 weight positions: GE,WFC,JPM,PFE,MRK,BOA,C.

I'm not sure loading up with financials again would be my personal approach to minimizing disasters but hey if it works for you all the best.

Aug 10, 2015. 06:12 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Dividend Growth Investing (DGI) A Fad? [View article]
    David

I can't think of a single DGI author who does. I can think of a few contributors that are pretty dogmatic about their particular DGI approach. That's all I got!

Aug 10, 2015. 04:02 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Dividend Growth Investing (DGI) A Fad? [View article]
    ray

Most of us have a personal portfolio business plan that further outlines the process.

Many myself included require that stocks have investment grade credit of at least BBB-. Many require BBB+ or above.

Many require that a stock is recession proven - meaning it didn't cut its dividend during the last recession. Some will accept a freeze while others won't.

Those requirement reduce the number of CCC stocks qualifying to around 200.

From there you start the process of portfolio building. I set maximums for each sector. No more than 20% in any sector. I'm retired and insure that know more than 20% of my income is from any one sector.

Most folks set overall portfolio yield and annual dividend growth goals for their portfolios. Most invest in between 24 and 60 holdings.

Most advocate a margin of safety by recommending that new positions be purchased when they represent good value.

Among the regular authors on SA that have formally posted their portfolio business plans are the following:

Dave Van Knapp
    Bob Wells
    Dividend House
    Eddie Herring
    Dividend Sleuth

Take care
    Aug 10, 2015. 11:07 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Gary

5 yr. DGR isn't the whole story. Look year by year at each dividend growth rate and you will see why Mike likes VTR. VTR's BBB+ credit is another plus.

Aug 9, 2015. 09:47 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buying Dividend Growth Stocks Without Looking [View article]
    varan

The difference is often the matter of simply suggesting simpler alternatives and implying and yes sometimes even saying its stupid not to follow such suggestions.

There are folks out there and I'm one that would not feel comfortable particularly in my stage of investing owning VTI with its high beta. I'm also uncomfortable with high concentration of bonds like TLT.

Respect is something each of us must earn.

Take care
    Aug 9, 2015. 07:27 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • First Portfolio Review By S&P Sectors, Dividend And Income Yield [View article]
    Chowder:

Help me learn. I'm considering CMI priced at $126.88 - S&P shows fair value price of $140 and Merrill Lynch shows $144 as fair price. What would qualify as fair value in your opinion. Fast Graphs shows $150 as fair value. It appears to be an even stronger fair value when looked at through the lens of free cash flow.

Dividend Growth is strong and consistent over the past ten years. Estimated 5 yr Earning Growth is 11.2. Fast Graph shows a payout ratio of 21%, Morningstar has it at 29.8. It has an A+ Credit Ranking. Only 2 years of losses in the past 10. !5 yr. Total Return of 20.82 vs. 4.25 for Diversified Industrials. Ten year average yield is 1.44%. Current yield according to FastGraphs is 3.1%.

It appears to be worth averaging in slowly. This would only be my second Industrial. What if anything am I failing to consider here?

Aug 9, 2015. 07:09 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Chowder

I agree and have 47% in the defense sectors you mentioned along with 10% cash.

How do you look at eReits? Hard to view them in the same way as traditional financial cyclicals.

What percentage of your portfolio is devoted to quality eReits?

What are the conditions under which you will consider cyclicals?

Aug 9, 2015. 03:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment