Bob Wells

View Bob Wells' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Can A Successful Dividend Portfolio Be Assembled In 2014? - Part 2 [View article]
    opa

Thanks. I'm using a combination of FastGraphs and Morningstar.

Sep 10 04:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Way To Reinvest Your Dividends [View article]
    Mike,

There is an easy way to do just what you want. Simply go to FastGraphs put in a ticker for any Dividend Growth stocks and you will have a 15 year- year by year assessment of dividend distribution income. It assumes the number of shares purchased at the start date for the sum of $10,000.

What you discovered about Dividend ETFs is the very reason I would never personally consider one for use during the "distribution stage" of investing.

I've been working on making mine a possible "buy and hold" portfolio for my wife should something happen to me. There is one big problem....RMD.

After that kicks in some form of active management is required just to sell and perhaps re-invest. After I'm gone I'm not sure how that would work, unless between now and then I can get my wife more interested in learning the fundamentals of dividend growth investing.

Sep 9 09:27 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Our Retirement Portfolio Business Plan - Legacy Edition - Part Two [View article]
    I think there is a behavioral connection between volatility and risk particularly during severe and long term bear markets. Without some interest in preserving an overall low portfolio beta an investor could find themselves with a portfolio suffering greater than market losses for a protracted period of time.

A legacy buy and hold portfolio left to a spouse without much knowledge of or confidence in the market and we could see IMHO a recipe for disaster.

Sep 9 08:57 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Way To Reinvest Your Dividends [View article]
    PTI

I really enjoyed it. I like your continued willingness to take an idea or concept and put it to the test.

Sep 8 04:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • History Lessons: Surviving A Recession, Tuning Out Noise And Moving Beyond Mistakes [View article]
    Yeh Mike

Surely we can't expect that company to be around much longer or keep raising its dividend. Green Mountain or Monster Beverage...those are stocks that are forever.....

Sep 7 03:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • VGR Policy Of 5% Increase In Dividends Can Be Very Profitable. [View instapost]
    Interesting study! VGR is now on my watch list.

Take care and thanks for sharing.

Sep 6 01:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    fsoriano

Thanks for the link to the 1st of what I hope is the start of my instablogs. VGR is an interesting company.

Take care
    Sep 6 01:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Mike:

It's unbelievable how many real bad 401K plans are out there. My wife had one - fees were a high of over 2% and low of 1.4%. Another I looked at had S&P 500 Index funds with fees of .75%. These are the choices for the little guy and I don't see any changes coming soon. It is truly sad.

Sep 5 06:41 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    mike

That's great news! I hope it continues.

bob
    Sep 5 04:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    David

The problem for so many of us raising families 401K's are all we had. I never new until i was already retired that I could move my money into IRAs at 59 1/2. It was never mentioned in any of the seminars we attended while still employed. I suspect quite a few folks were like me and never really paid much attention to their investments until they were a few years from retirement.

Take care
    Sep 5 03:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Tax

I stand corrected. Your information is consistent with that on the CCC lists that I use. Estimated earnings growth should be 3.6%.

It's hell getting old!

Sep 5 10:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mike:

Again based on the strong history I'm optimistic. We'll see who is right.

Sep 5 10:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    hanson

Great advice. Thanks for sharing.

Take care
    Sep 5 10:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    ND

Without a bio I don't know if you are currently retired or ten or more years out.

I can't say whether MCD will experience capital gains or losses during the next year or two. I can say based on its dividend growth record since 1999 that its dividend will likely grow by 8-10% per year.

I helped build a DG portfolio starting with less than $200,000. In the two years since we built it the owner has seen her monthly income from dividends and the growth of those dividends increase by 8% the first year and nearly 10% the second. Her capital has also grown.

I'm afraid there are too many folks retiring and "betting the farm" so to speak on high yielding portfolios "currently" throwing out 7-10% with little or no history of sustainable dividend growth. I'm also of the opinion that "trying" to maximize capital gains from a portfolio after retirement may not be prudent.

I know of few retired "capital gains" oriented investors likely to grant themselves increases in income during those years where the market is in decline. I pity those with both distribution cuts and capital losses during that same period.

I certainly hope you're not one of those.

Sep 5 08:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Steve

It's important to take the actions you feel are best for you and your situation.
    SWAN and all that good stuff!

Take care