U.K. Political Uncertainty Adds Risks For U.K. Gilts And FTSE 100
- Scotland’s no vote creates an uncertain outlook for the UK as details on the fiscal and economic implications remain unclear until mid-October.
- Calls for UK leaving the EU are growing. At risk is UK’s political leverage and benefits to free trade within the EU.
- A delayed interest rate hike by the BoE and a devaluing pound raise inflation risks short term.
Short And Leveraged ETFs/ETPs Global Flows Report - Aug. 31, 2014
Sep. 19, 2014 • Comment!
- The Ukraine crisis instigated tactical positioning of S&L investors in August, with a contrarian stance driving bullish allocations in European equities, while exposure to US equities was cut.
- S&L investor bearishness increased in German debt as yields on 10-year Bunds fell to record lows. Year to date, short ETPs tracking German debt recorded inflows of $425 million.
- S&L investor bullishness intensified in oil with the Middle East crisis reinforcing the build-up of long positions against cuts to short positions in oil ETPs.
- At the end of August, the AUM of S&L ETPs stood at $59.7 billion. BOOST ETPs reach a record $130 million AUM.
Scotland 'Yes Or No' - Why And How You Need To Hedge The FTSE 100 / 250 And Gilts
- Scotland’s referendum on independence is too close to call. Markets disliking uncertainty are putting pressure on UK’s currency and credit markets, driving downside risk to UK equities.
- Secession weakens the economic fundamentals for Scotland, exposes the rest of the UK to unwarranted credit risks, UK mid and large cap equities are at risk of being de-rated.
- Until the dust settles it may be prudent to hedge long positions in UK bonds and equities.
Short And Leveraged ETFs/ETPs Global Flows Report - Feb. 28, 2014
Mar. 19, 2014 • Comment!
- Global AUM in Short & Leveraged ETPs at record $61bn as investors shun equities and buy bonds.
- S&L investors globally repositioned themselves bullishly in bonds and bearishly in equities. February saw record flows into long US debt ETPs, at $2.9 billion.
- S&L investors continue to be bullish on Japanese equities, with inflows of $451 million into long Japanese equity ETPs and global AUM in Japanese S&L ETPs is at a record.
- Short And Leveraged ETFs/ETPs Global Report - Oct. 31, 2013
- Looming Fiscal Cliff, Broken Safe Havens. Here Is Why To Hedge.
- BoE's QE Exit Ahead Of Fed Boosts Sterling, But Pressures FTSE 100
Gold Investors Become Bullish While Equity Investors Are Mixed, As Global Short And Leverage ETF/ETP Assets Hit Over $51bn
Sep. 24, 2013 • Comment!
- At 1300 USD/Oz, Gold Is Only Halfway Through The Bear Market
- 8 Things To Know About Short And Leveraged ETFs / ETPs
- Volatile And Low Yielding Safe Havens Sustain Rotation Into Equities
- China Credit Crunch May Cripple Copper
- Global Short And Leveraged ETF Assets Hit $51B, As Equity Investors Become Bullish
- Rising Bond Yields Pose Macro Risks For Eurozone Equities
- Henry Hub's Natural Gas Commodity Break-Out Has Legs: It's A U.S. Proxy