Boris Marjanovic

View Boris Marjanovic's Comments BY TICKER:
    Tom,

"Money CAN have intrinsic value."

There is nothing "intrinsic" about value.... all value is purely subjective.
    Dec 2, 2014. 01:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Tom,

Salt or goats were part of the bartering system.
    Dec 2, 2014. 11:04 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Jimvickery,

"You called debt currency the 'oldest and most enduring' form of money (without any references), by the way it isn't , gold is, so I quoted J.P. Morgan. I never said anything about what I 'approve' of or don't 'approve' of."

Gold is also not the "oldest and most enduring" form of money.... the first form of money was actually bartering.
    Dec 2, 2014. 10:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Kyle,

"But gold should not be used to "become rich." It is used to store wealth, not create it."

I agree. I even mentioned something similar in my article. However, he was talking about how he could have generated returns if he invested in gold. I simply gave a few examples of where the investment returns would have been even greater.
    Dec 1, 2014. 02:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Trendless,

"Having bought and sold houses, old guitars, classic art and lava lamps, I can say with certainty that nearly everything can be valued at whatever someone wants to pay at any given moment."

I agree. This is also why nothing has "intrinsic value." It's all based on personal preferences, which change all the time.

"What gets me are the fearful and the fearmongerers who project sky-high price tags for precious metals based on potential doomsday scenarios. Until the apocalypse comes, however, they're very happy to take your lousy fiat currency in exchange for the stuff."

Yes, it's very ironic, isn't it? The people who hate "paper money" usually have the most of it.

"The iron-clad measure of anything's "value" is its rarity AND desirability."

100% correct!
    Nov 29, 2014. 09:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Sawdustmaker,

I see no reason why a person couldn't own a very small amount of PM. However, those recommending that you should have 30,40, 50, or more percent of your assets in PM are giving out foolish advice.
    Nov 29, 2014. 07:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Kyle10,

The point was if things get really bad, you probably won't be able to leave the country alive. It doesn't matter what assets you have when you're dead.
    Nov 29, 2014. 06:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Kyle10,

"Also, good luck trying to carry land and buildings out of the country if it comes down to that."

Good luck trying to carry your heavy bag of gold out of the country if it comes down to that!
    Nov 29, 2014. 06:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    CoinsK,

Personally, in my own account I own black swan insurance which generates profits when the market crashes. In other words, I profited from the financial crisis. However, you are absolutely correct, many people did lose a lot of money during the recent recession. But, what about those who owned gold during the past two years? They lost more than many people did during the recession! Simply put, no matter what you invest in you have to be able to protect your downside.
    Nov 29, 2014. 04:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    HYMN,

"If you have lived through it as you say then you know people will be killing each other for sardines and a cracker."

This is true. But gold will not give you any protection. I knew people who were very rich and owned a lot of gold. Today most of them are dead (not from natural causes) and their gold has a "new" owner, if you know what I mean by that.
    Nov 29, 2014. 04:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    HYMN,

I encourage you to find one comment or article written by me where I advertise my fund. Go ahead, find just one and please send me the link! I don't have to advertise my fund because we already have a lot of large clients and our performance is excellent. In other words, I have nothing to prove.
    Nov 29, 2014. 04:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "Insurance against PAPER."

There are various other more profitable ways to buy "insurance against paper." Buy land, buildings, etc. like people did in Weimar Germany.
    Nov 29, 2014. 02:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Is Way Overrated [View article]
    "In 1913 they would have cost you $100 for all 5."

Just like I explained in my article - over centuries gold is a pretty good inflation hedge. However, most of us don't live for hundreds of years. Our lifespans can be measured in decades. Over these more realistic periods of time, gold is way too volatile to be a reliable inflation hedge. If you bought gold in 1980 and held until today you wouldn't even have beat inflation, although you would have experienced huge volatility.

"The same amount ($100) in the Stock market would have went to ZERO in 1929."

The market dropped a lot, but never did it go to "zero" as you mentioned. I don't know where you are getting your information from. But when the economy recovered, the stock market performed much better than gold. In today's financial markets it's easy to hedge against, and even profit from, market crashes so owning gold is not necessary (and would actually hurt your overall performance).
    Nov 29, 2014. 02:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    User 447425,

Insurance against what exactly? In any situation you can think of, there are far better and more profitable hedging alternatives than gold.
    Nov 29, 2014. 02:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    jwhokie,

There will be no "rule of law" in the event of a "total" collapse! You can only understand this if when you've lived through it, as I have. And do you actually think "real assets" like gold will save you? Then obviously you have never experience the horrors of something like a bloody civil war... where mostly drunk and drugged-up soldiers (many of them your former neighbors) come inside your home, steal anything that has any value, and finish things up by burning your house to the ground. In a situation like this the best thing is to own a few guns and a lot of ammo!
    Nov 29, 2014. 02:30 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment