Boris Marjanovic

View Boris Marjanovic's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Gold Is Way Overrated [View article]
    HYMN,

"If you have lived through it as you say then you know people will be killing each other for sardines and a cracker."

This is true. But gold will not give you any protection. I knew people who were very rich and owned a lot of gold. Today most of them are dead (not from natural causes) and their gold has a "new" owner, if you know what I mean by that.
    Nov 29, 2014. 04:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Is Way Overrated [View article]
    HYMN,

I encourage you to find one comment or article written by me where I advertise my fund. Go ahead, find just one and please send me the link! I don't have to advertise my fund because we already have a lot of large clients and our performance is excellent. In other words, I have nothing to prove.
    Nov 29, 2014. 04:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Is Way Overrated [View article]
    "Insurance against PAPER."

There are various other more profitable ways to buy "insurance against paper." Buy land, buildings, etc. like people did in Weimar Germany.
    Nov 29, 2014. 02:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Is Way Overrated [View article]
    "In 1913 they would have cost you $100 for all 5."

Just like I explained in my article - over centuries gold is a pretty good inflation hedge. However, most of us don't live for hundreds of years. Our lifespans can be measured in decades. Over these more realistic periods of time, gold is way too volatile to be a reliable inflation hedge. If you bought gold in 1980 and held until today you wouldn't even have beat inflation, although you would have experienced huge volatility.

"The same amount ($100) in the Stock market would have went to ZERO in 1929."

The market dropped a lot, but never did it go to "zero" as you mentioned. I don't know where you are getting your information from. But when the economy recovered, the stock market performed much better than gold. In today's financial markets it's easy to hedge against, and even profit from, market crashes so owning gold is not necessary (and would actually hurt your overall performance).
    Nov 29, 2014. 02:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Is Way Overrated [View article]
    User 447425,

Insurance against what exactly? In any situation you can think of, there are far better and more profitable hedging alternatives than gold.
    Nov 29, 2014. 02:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Is Way Overrated [View article]
    jwhokie,

There will be no "rule of law" in the event of a "total" collapse! You can only understand this if when you've lived through it, as I have. And do you actually think "real assets" like gold will save you? Then obviously you have never experience the horrors of something like a bloody civil war... where mostly drunk and drugged-up soldiers (many of them your former neighbors) come inside your home, steal anything that has any value, and finish things up by burning your house to the ground. In a situation like this the best thing is to own a few guns and a lot of ammo!
    Nov 29, 2014. 02:30 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Is Way Overrated [View article]
    Felsobuki,

Well, you could also have bought some stocks, invested in real-estate, started a business, etc. and gotten even better returns!
    Nov 29, 2014. 11:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Is Way Overrated [View article]
    Vuke,

It's a great way to preserve capital only over really long periods of time, such as centuries. Over more realistic periods of time it is way too volatile to be a reliable preservation of capital.
    Nov 28, 2014. 08:17 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Is Way Overrated [View article]
    Buyandhold 2012,

"I see the ads on TV trying to scare investors into buying gold, I laugh out loud."

I laugh too! But selling fear is big business!
    Nov 28, 2014. 12:10 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Is Way Overrated [View article]
    bookmdano,

"I don't think of gold as an investment. Its insurance."

Insurance against what exactly? Hyperinflation? Total financial collapse? I clearly explained that in either of these situations gold is not a very good insurance policy.
    Nov 28, 2014. 12:08 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Is Way Overrated [View article]
    "You cannot use your McDonald's shares to buy a lunch at McDonald's either."

I kind of mentioned that. All stocks will be worthless too in the event of a total collapse.
    Nov 28, 2014. 11:12 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MYOS Corp.: A Little-Known Nutrients Company In Dire Need Of Its Own Life Support, 50%+ Downside [View article]
    "Apparently myostatin is a naturally occurring regulatory protein responsible for limiting muscle growth in humans, and hence, is supposedly of some use to athletes, gym rats, and others looking to get ripped."

A myostatin inhibitor can also help cancer patients, which for some reason you didn't mention. This company is closer to a biotech than a sports supplement company, and trades like one as can be seen from the high valuation. Shorting stocks like this is dangerous.
    Nov 25, 2014. 07:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Brief Look At 'Dual Momentum' [View article]
    A simple strategy is to go long the S&P 500 and to buy out of the money puts on it to hedge against crashes (1-2% annual cost). This strategy is safer, easier to implement, and will outperform most other strategies in the long run.
    Nov 24, 2014. 02:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Brief Look At 'Dual Momentum' [View article]
    It's kind of obvious this strategy works very well during strong bull markets. But just randomly selecting stocks within the S&P 500 Index would probably give you a similar performance. When everything is going up it's easy to make money and look smart.
    Nov 24, 2014. 11:45 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Beauty Of Shorting Tree.com [View article]
    There is absolutely no beauty in shorting because it exposes you to unlimited losses.
    Nov 19, 2014. 06:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment