Brad Kenagy

View Brad Kenagy's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Deep Value Play Of The Year: Helmerich & Payne [View article]
    @HCWHunter22 I have to disagree with you, even though the company has significantly increased its dividend recently they have had an increasing dividend since 1995, and have not cut their dividend. In addition, they have almost no long-term debt so they are not dragged down by debt like other companies that have cut their dividend like Seadrill (SDRL).

The company reported earnings of $1.70/share, and the dividend is $0.6875/share, so that is a payout ratio of 40.44% so they have plenty of room.
    Jan 29, 2015. 12:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Deep Value Play Of The Year: Helmerich & Payne [View article]
    The stock has had a nice recovery this morning, stock traded down to $54 and now back over $56.
    Jan 29, 2015. 11:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Dividend Growth Companies Poised To Beat Earnings In January [View article]
    Thank you for the comment. I expected both GK & HAR to beat earnings which they both did, however HAR completely blew away estimates and that is why it is up nearly 20% today.
    Jan 29, 2015. 11:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Deep Value Play Of The Year: Helmerich & Payne [View article]
    @sorrwohrrcom I can't do that because there is no way to go back in time and broadly screen fundamental data from all companies.
    Jan 29, 2015. 10:24 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Deep Value Play Of The Year: Helmerich & Payne [View article]
    @TimmiesRegular Thank you for the comment. Since my article did not come out till after the close yesterday buying puts prior to earnings was not an option. However, now that shares are down even further, with a now 5% yield, it might be worth looking at a small position, with some put protection.

Also, I hope if readers take anything away from this article is that position sizing and potentially buying protection are extremely! important for riskier stocks.
    Jan 29, 2015. 10:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Deep Value Play Of The Year: Helmerich & Payne [View article]
    @Gary Jakacky The chart was from the ThinkorSwim charting platform.
    Jan 29, 2015. 10:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Deep Value Play Of The Year: Helmerich & Payne [View article]
    @Dividend Sleuth Thank you for the comment. After the sell-off today HP is now yielding 5%, because of the warning that oil would hurt future results which was already obviously known, and Citigroup downgraded shares to a sell.
    Jan 29, 2015. 10:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Deep Value Play Of The Year: Helmerich & Payne [View article]
    @simplywallst Thank you for the comment, and all the information you provided on your process for screening for Deep Value plays. Your results were very interesting as well.
    Jan 29, 2015. 10:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Deep Value Play Of The Year: Helmerich & Payne [View article]
    @WMARKW As I said in my article sentiment for oil stocks is poor, and even though HP easily beat earnings estimates HP stated the obvious in their press release that Capex would be lower, and that:

"Oil prices at six year lows are significantly impacting spot pricing and drilling activity in the U.S., and we expect this to unfavorably impact our quarterly results during the rest of fiscal 2015."

This was already known that low oil prices affected drilling and HP beat estimates so I am confident that they will continue to beat earnings, however those earnings will be lower.

Jan 29, 2015. 10:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Deep Value Play Of The Year: Helmerich & Payne [View article]
    @gramondo37 thank you for the comment.
    Jan 29, 2015. 10:00 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My 2015 Growth Stock Picks [View article]
    Thank you for the comment, and insight. Through my pick of NSR and its poor performance, I hope readers have learned that it is inevitable that every investor at some point will be blindsided by something. Because of my NSR poor performance that is why I updated my process to include a risk adjusted discount rate, and added a section for each stock to look at potential risks.
    Jan 27, 2015. 12:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Potential Acquisition Targets For Berkshire Hathaway [View article]
    @Kyle Fishman, Thank you for the comment and adding to the discussion. VIG sometimes has some odd holdings or lack of holdings. Looking at growth now, I like the iShares Core Dividend Growth ETF (DGRO), which at the time of writing this article in June was only two weeks old. Out of the companies on my final list all were listed in DGRO.

Based on what Buffett has done with his portfolio, and the performance of IBM I would agree with you that he would NOT go after:

-DE because he sold out his position.
    -BRCM because of his IBM position that has been a losing investment, so he would most likely not choose a technology company.
    -VFC because it is not a consumer staples company.

That leaves, Becton Dickinson, Raytheon, and Illinois Tool Works. Buffett does change his mind, for instance he sold 32% of his DTV stake in the 2nd quarter of 2014, then in the third quarter he bought back just over half of the amount of shares he previously sold.

Now that he has sold out of DE, I would have to say the likelyness of being acquired would be: ITW, BDX, RTN
    Jan 23, 2015. 11:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Examining Pensions Of The Dow Components [View article]
    Thank you for the comment. If I have time I will most definitely look into that for you.
    Jan 22, 2015. 11:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Examining Pensions Of The Dow Components [View article]
    I looked at the data and found the following: Those companies that had a low pension percentage and that pension percentage fell yr/yr outperformed those companies with increasing pension percentage. Overall, what can be taken away is that those companies decreasing pensions as a percentage of gross profits outperform those that do not.

<20% & Decreasing Pen % of GP 11.75%
    < 20% & Increasing Pen % of GP 4.24%

>20% & Decreasing Pen % of GP 2.82%
    > 20% & Increasing Pen % of GP -4.88%
    Jan 22, 2015. 11:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Predicting Warren Buffett's Next New Holding [View article]
    Thank you for the comment. With his IBM experience I also doubt in the future he would purchase a stake in any large cap technology stocks.
    Jan 18, 2015. 10:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment