Brad Kenagy

View Brad Kenagy's Comments BY TICKER:
  • United Rentals: Poised For Long-Term Growth [View article]
    Thank you for the comment. Any site I have found has only EPS estimates out 5 years, and as I said above I like to conservatively estimate the fair value of companies.
    Sep 3 08:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • United Rentals: Poised For Long-Term Growth [View article]
    Because I wanted to use a "worst case scenario" I wanted to be conservative on my estimate. If the shares are slightly undervalued with conservative assumptions then if those assumptions are relaxed the shares would be even more undervalued.
    Sep 3 05:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • FlexShares RAVI: Beating PIMCO At Its Own Game [View article]
    Very good point, that is the trade off of MM equivalent ETFs, they can rise and fall, but the yield is higher than MMs. Just depends on someones risk tolerance, and preferences.
    Sep 2 05:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • FlexShares RAVI: Beating PIMCO At Its Own Game [View article]
    Thank you for the comment. I specifically said in my article that I was using price returns. I got contacted by someone from PIMCO about not using Total Return data so I collected the total return data and sent it back:

Data I found on TOTAL RETURNS for each of the three time periods I looked at.

-Bottom to Top: RAVI 0.39%, MINT 0.33% -- RAVI outperformed MINT by 18.18%

-Top to bottom: RAVI 0.80%, MINT 0.51% --RAVI outperformed MINT by 56.86%

-Overall: RAVI 1.74%, MINT 1.46% -- RAVI outperformed MINT by 19.18%
    Aug 29 09:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Triangle Capital to pay an extra nickel dividend [View news story]
    You are completely wrong! The offering was announced on August 11th Closing Price: $27.64 current Price $27.10 so stock is down only 1.95% from when the offering was announced.

From SEC filing for TCAP:

"We may offer shares of common stock at a discount to net asset value per share in certain circumstances. On May 7, 2014, our common stockholders voted to allow us to sell or otherwise issue common stock at a price below net asset value per share for a period of one year ending on the earlier of May 7, 2015 or the date of our 2015 Annual Meeting of Stockholders."

BDCs, REITs, and MLPs all have secondary offerings. If you dont understand the risks associated with those assets classes then you should not be investing in them, and I would suggest you stick to plain vanilla stocks like those that make of the Dow.
    Aug 27 11:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Coming Rise Of Volatility In Low Volatility ETFs [View article]
    Yes Dividends were included because the chart in the article says "Total Return" so that means dividends are included.
    Aug 27 11:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Adding Corporate Profits To The Market Cap-GDP Ratio [View article]
    No problem
    Aug 27 10:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Triangle Capital to pay an extra nickel dividend [View news story]
    They priced the secondary at $26.85, and the price is currently at $27.10, so the price is already back above the offering price. TCAP is a business development company and when they need more funds to invest is companies they can either: Issue Debt, Preferred Stock, or issue new shares. That is just the way BDCs work.

I am LONG (NYSE:TCAP)
    Aug 27 10:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Adding Corporate Profits To The Market Cap-GDP Ratio [View article]
    Thank you for the comment. I created a chart that shows the market cap-to gdp ratio with 10 year treasury rates factored in. Surprising that we are still be 2007, and still significantly below 2000. But with rates set to rise next year that could be changing.

Aug 26 11:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Coming Rise Of Volatility In Low Volatility ETFs [View article]
    Very good article, SPLV is my 3rd largest holding, and the large allocation to Utilities has started to worry me with rates potentially rising, and alternative energy sources like solar taking revenue away from utilities. I consider SPLV a bond replacement fund, and I am reluctant to sell because even with the allocation to utilities, it is a diversified fund, which has more growth prospects than bond ETFs do.

In a article I wrote last year I found the best combination of ETFs to provide low volatility and downside protection was a 50/50 allocation to SPLV, and VQT. VQT dynamically allocates between Stocks, Volatility, and Cash. If you look at a chart of VQT and the SPY, you can see at times when the SPY took a large dive VQT profited because of its allocation to Volatility.

Aug 25 08:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Credit Default Swap ETFs Are Not Worth The Risk [View article]
    Thank you for the information. I know my analogy is not exact, the point I was making was that WYDE should increase when there is fear in the bond market of defaults, just like the VIX increases when there is "fear" in the stock market.
    Aug 25 04:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Credit Default Swap ETFs Are Not Worth The Risk [View article]
    Where did you get the data from for CDX prices in 2008, and 2011? I wrote an article and likened WYDE to the following:

WYDE is to High Yield Bonds

as

The VIX is to Stocks

Aug 25 03:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Bidding War For Tim Hortons? [View article]
    @jmbar I dont know why you are boycotting something that is perfectly legal?

If you dont like tax inversions, In November please vote out your current congressman/woman if they dont support corporate tax reform to change the inversion laws.
    Aug 25 02:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Bidding War For Tim Hortons? [View article]
    What is your opinion on how BKW would pay for the deal, because according to Morningstar BKW has $905 million in cash, which would mean BKW would have to come up with rough $7 billion. I would think after today's massive move in the stock they would issue BKW stock to THI shareholders to pay for the deal. They might issue some debt as well, however I believe this is less likely since $2.86 billion in debt.
    Aug 25 02:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nobel Prize Winner Shiller Is Damaging His Reputation With CAPE Ratio Talk [View article]
    While many people deserve a Nobel Prize, it astounds me how for instance Obama got the Nobel Peace prize.
    Aug 22 11:30 AM | 16 Likes Like |Link to Comment