Brad Kenagy

View Brad Kenagy's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Potential Targets For Activist Investors [View article]
    Pretty much any stock could be a target for activist investors, AAPL was even a target for Carl Icahn. With these having under performed the market, and having governance issues besides shareholder rights issues, Yes I believe they are potential activist targets.
    Jul 30 11:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Potential Targets For Activist Investors [View article]
    @erpichtauf Yes it may be true that they have STRONG takeover defenses but to break through those, at the four under performing companies in my article it would likely take an activist investor, to accomplish and change in board seats, or advocate for a sale.
    Jul 30 09:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Constructing A Simple Defensive Portfolio [View article]
    Thank you for the comment, glad my article was informative for you.
    Jul 30 02:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • To ETF Or To Not ETF [View article]
    Im sorry but no where did I say anything about annualized yield, my data is percentage changes. I used the $10000 just as a round even number to compare apples to apples. Yes the beginning price of ITA is the same, BUT the prices of PPA, BA,UTX, GD, and LMT are NOT the same since the start price you used way 6 months older, and because of that it is not a Apples to Apples comparison.

Also, you never mentioned anything about how your portfolio of Top holdings was weighted in your article? Are they market cap weighted, equal weighted, price weighted, dividend yield weighted, risk weighted?

I'm not changing the data to fit my data, i'm fixing what is wrong with yours.

Overall I like the premise behind the article, however your data is incomplete and inaccurate, and you still have alot to learn about properly researching data.
    Jul 30 10:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ADT Corp.: A Potential Short Squeeze Play [View article]
    Thank you for the comment. Google bought Nest, which provides smart smoke/carbon dioxide, and energy controls like smart thermostats. I think the "internet of things" or a "smart house" will be the next area of growth, and if that is true, ADT is well positioned to provide security services for such a "smart house".

Disclosure: As I disclosed in my article, after my article was published I did buy calls today, and I will see what the results show tomorrow to see what the future may hold for ADT.
    Jul 29 11:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • To ETF Or To Not ETF [View article]
    Sorry but I am calling BS!!. I'm sorry to say but your data is way off. First of all ITA started trading on May 5th 2006, so it is not an apples to apples comparison because data for PPA and the 4 top holdings starts in 2005 and data for ITA starts on May 5th 2006. So your data is either accidentally wrong or purposely wrong to fit your thesis that the top holdings are better than an ETF.

Here are the results using the return calculator from dividendchannel.com for each ETF, and top 4 holdings since MAY 5th 2006!

Assumptions:

-Start Date May 5th 2006
    -End Date July 21st 2014
    -Starting Investment of $10000
    -$5 commission/trade
    -Equal weighted Portfolio of BA, UTX, GD, and LMT

PPA: Value at end $19991.73 ~ 99.97% Total Return
    ITA: Value at end $ 22742.27 ~ 127.42% Total Return
    Top Holdings Portfolio: Value at end $21734.73 ~ 117.35%

Therefore, as the ACTUAL data shows, taking the top four holdings does not give a real advantage.

Next time please look at the trading start dates for the ETFs involved.

Jul 29 08:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ADT Corp.: A Potential Short Squeeze Play [View article]
    ADT has an app customers can download that will let them monitor their home, ADT Pulse.

Jul 29 07:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ADT Corp.: A Potential Short Squeeze Play [View article]
    Thank you for the comment. When I did my screen I was surprised that ADT was such heavily shorted for being a boring slow growth company.
    Jul 29 03:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Projecting Bond Total Returns For Rising Rates [View article]
    I cant really give specific advice. What I can tell you though is the spread on high yield bonds has rose over the last few weeks, and that is the cause for the decline. If you look at the chart and select the 1 yr time frame, Spreads hit a low on June 23rd. If spreads continue to rise, then high yield bonds could continue to see declines that have recently occurred.

Jul 28 11:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Investors Take Note That An Industry Report Shows Gold Production Dropping Precipitously [View article]
    With the scenario you outlined in your article about declining production, and your thoughts on gold miners, would owning Royalty companies like Franco Nevada (NYSE:FNV), or Royal Gold (NASDAQ:RGLD) be a better option that large gold miners, or a broad basket like the GDX?

Disclosure: Long FNV
    Jul 27 09:36 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Small-Cap Dividend Growth Stocks Hedge Funds Love [View article]
    Thank you for the comment. When looking at the valuation section on Morningstar it only shows the S&P 500. As per your request I went to the webpage for the SPDR S&P 600 Small Cap ETF (NYSEARCA:SLY), and found that is has a current PE of 21.83, and a Forward PE of 20.15. Based on those numbers when comparing the forward PE ratios of each company to the S&P 600 forward PE, all three stocks are undervalued.
    Jul 23 03:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Potential Targets For Activist Investors [View article]
    Thank you for posting. The only comment I have is that an activist investor is most likely the only one who would be able to break through the defenses that are in place. For instance Carl Icahn alot of times goes in and wants to change part of the board of a company.
    Jul 22 04:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Potential Targets For Activist Investors [View article]
    Ok that is it! I have pride in my work! You can question my work all your work, but when you start attacking personally, now you have crossed a line. All you are is a comment troll, move on to someone else to troll on. The only comment from you I will respond to is if you here anything back from ISS, other than that you get my "ignore" button. Good luck investing and trolling on someone else.
    Jul 21 09:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Potential Targets For Activist Investors [View article]
    Thank you for contacting ISS. In the future, you would be well advised to read more carefully, as my disclaimer at the end of my article states:

"The commentary does not constitute individualized investment advice. The opinions offered herein are not personalized recommendations to buy, sell or hold securities.

The strategies discussed are strictly for illustrative and educational purposes and should not be construed as a recommendation to purchase or sell, or an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security. There is no guarantee that any strategies discussed will be effective. The information provided is not intended to be a complete analysis of every material fact respecting any strategy. The examples presented do not take into consideration commissions, tax implications or other transactions costs, which may significantly affect the economic consequences of a given strategy.

This material represents an assessment of the market environment at a specific time and is not intended to be a forecast of future events or a guarantee of future results. This information should not be relied upon by the reader as research or investment advice regarding the funds or any security in particular."

Jul 21 07:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Potential Targets For Activist Investors [View article]
    No I did not look individually past what the ISS said, and the ISS scored the four companies as having poor takeover defenses. I trust the ISS because they use publicly available data to compile there score. That is the investors job for doing their Due Diligence, any further than that.

This is my last message on this subject:

Red Flag=Poor Defenses against a takeover.
    Green Flag= Strong Defenses against a takeover.

End of story, moving on to other projects, and If you have a problem I suggest you write your own article or instablog on the subject.

Good luck in your investing.
    Jul 21 05:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment