Brad Kenagy

View Brad Kenagy's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • How Obamacare Could Harm Growth In 2014, Part III [View article]
    Great article!! I have followed your series of them so far and look forward to your upcoming articles. The ACA is horrible for businesses, and employees, and companies are preparing now for 2014 when a large portion of the ACA is implemented. The ACA has stealthy improved the BLS Unemployment rate.

An Example: Say someone is working 40 hours per week, and because of the ACA the business cuts their hours down to 25 per week. So that employee needing to make up for the lost hours takes a SECOND job to make up for the lost hours. Now on the employment report that person is COUNTED TWICE, thus inflating the number of people employed, because I'm pretty sure the BLS survey does not take into account people with multiple jobs.

Just a couple thoughts on the subject.

Can't wait for this:

Mar 19 12:08 PM | 17 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • By a 75-24 margin, the Senate has passed a non-binding vote of approval for a bill allowing states to collect sales taxes from online retailers with $1M+  in annual sales and no presence within a given state's borders. The margin of victory suggests a filibuster shouldn't be a problem when a binding vote is made. Amazon (AMZN) and eBay (EBAY) have already begun collecting in a number of large states, and many investors have already assumed collections will expand in time. (previous[View news story]
    I live in Oregon and we have no sales tax. So no!! to more taxes!! enough taxes already.
    Mar 24 03:54 PM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Reasons The S&P 500 Could Fall 20% By The End Of 2013 [View article]
    I would say thank you for your comment, but you mention nothing about the specifics of my article, and have a bad tone.

Also,For your information I started writing the article yesterday, and in the article I am looking forward to the medium term [8-12 months] not just extremely short term.
    Feb 21 03:14 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This New Budget Proposal May Limit Your Annual Retirement Income [View article]
    I agree with you DG that $9 billion over 10 years is a waste of time.

This is how the government looks at a problem, they ask them selves: should we concentrate on something with political motivation behind it, in this case large Retirement accounts because that is what an argument against Romney was in the last election.

OR

Should we be concentrating on something like the $60 billion per year ($600 billion over 10 years) in Medicare/SS/Disability fraud.

Lets see $9 billion vs $600 billion, seems like an easy choice to anyone with any common sense, but because the $9 billion was linked to an political issue in the last election, that is why they are focusing on it. There decision is politically motivated regardless of political party affiliation, they are a few members of congress that actually "work for the people" and not for their political party whose only goal is re-election to maintain power.

I think alot of our problems could be fixed if we could have term limits for members of congress, and members were not worried about seeking re-election over and over.
    Apr 8 11:38 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Team Alpha Retirement Portfolio: Dividend Investing Vs. Annuity Purchasing [View article]
    I agree Dividend investing is the way to go. I have my ira and it holds:

MLP ETF (AMLP)
    Low Volatility Stock ETF (SPLV)
    Foreign Div Stock ETF (DGS)
    Upper Quality High Yield Bond ETF (PHB)
    Business Development Company (TCAP)
    Fertilizer MLP (RNF)
    Foreign Corp Bond ETF (HYEM)
    Laddered Treasury ETF (PLW)

Overall my portfolio yields around 4.50% per year, and has shown good capital appreciation as well, so I am very pleased.
    Mar 2 10:34 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 2014 Growth Stock Picks [View article]
    Obamacare will affect stocks if consumers have less disposable income because of increased healthcare costs. With consumer spending being a huge portion of GDP, any drop in disposable income could be a risk.
    Dec 20 04:51 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Top 12 Ideas For Your Portfolio In 2014 [View article]
    @artbr549 just because his picks dont follow YOUR investment objects, doesnt mean there is anything wrong with his strategy.

Just wondering what your investment strategy is,I encourage you to post of publish an article/instablog with your picks for 2014, so other readers can view/comment/criticize your picks.
    Dec 13 09:27 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Southern Company (SO) says it will take a $540M pre-tax, $333M after-tax charge related to increased costs at its Mississippi coal plant. (8-K[View news story]
    That is exactly what President Obama and the EPA want, force costs to rise for cheap power to make alternatives more viable, but in the end those higher costs are just passed on to consumers.
    Apr 23 07:06 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ETFs Are Not What You Think They Are [View article]
    You bring up some valid point but it also would have been nice to see the returns for double/triple LONG funds in this bull market were in.

Also, your statement of "The core problem is that these instruments sound like a good idea. But they just aren't." is not quite correct. Your statement is correct when your talking about someone who is INVESTING, but for someone who is TRADING on a short-term basis as the products are designed for then your statement does not apply.

Also, almost every fund page states an example like the following for SH: "This Short ProShares ETF seeks a return that is -1x the return of an index or other benchmark (target) for a SINGLE DAY, as measured from one NAV calculation to the next. Due to the compounding of daily returns, ProShares' returns over periods other than one day will likely differ in amount and possibly direction from the target return for the same period."

It spells it out pretty simply that the product has risks if you hold it long-term. Simply put "Know what you own"
    Jan 20 10:50 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 2014 Growth Stock Picks [View article]
    I would say insurance companies, because government already has a backstop provided to them to cover any losses that insurance companies.
    Dec 20 07:35 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 2014 Growth Stock Picks [View article]
    Thank you for the comment.

The reason is Removal of some risks:
    -Budget deal, as poor as it was, removed the possibility of shutdowns for the next two years.
    -Fed is buying less bonds, weening the market off its addiction to QE.

But then there are still some concerns going forward:

-Debt Ceiling
    -Obamacare
    Dec 20 10:43 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AllThingsD: Ford's Mulally now heads list of Ballmer replacements [View news story]
    If Mulally becomes MSFT CEO, I would have to consider MSFT. But would be a little hesitant, with the cross industry hire, ie. Ron Johnson from AAPL to JCP.
    Sep 26 07:18 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • "A Carbon Tax That America Could Live With" [View news story]
    This is an endless cycle, government will always try to tax the next new thing. Wherever the government is able to tax they will, example of taxes that didn't exist 100 years ago:

Cigarette Tax
    Corp Income Tax
    Inheritance Tax
    Property Tax

Looks like Carbon Tax is next on the list. This cycle will never stop until another Boston Tea Party lol.
    Sep 1 01:00 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Creating A Portfolio To Outperform Obamacare [View article]
    Thank you for your comment. I dont even know who the heritage foundation is, I got the data from their website thats it. So, I find it highly disrespectful that you assume you know what my political beliefs are! Just because I don't like Obamacare doesn't mean using your words a "right wing rag." I'm not letting my political bias inform my investing, im letting the "Political Landscape" inform my creation of this portfolio for this article. If you have any REAL comments that pertain to the makeup of the portfolio that would be great, but if you are going to "bash" please move on and don't waste my time, and fellow readers time.
    Aug 24 07:38 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Imagination Tech: Recent Drop, MIPS Potential, And Next Generation IP Makes It A Buy [View article]
    Good article, But I find it Extremely!! suspicious, On June 19th you wrote PRO article titled: "Imagination Technologies: Substantial Downside As Nvidia Enters GPU IP Licensing Business" and now a month & a half later you write an article that is pumping the stock upward, makes no sense to me.

All the arguments you laid out FOR Imagination were also present @ the time of your Bearish article, so I find it very suspicious that you could be both extremely bearish "substantial downside" & extremely bullish "the company has 40% upside" in a less than 2 month time period.

Care to explain to this to the readers?
    Aug 13 10:38 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment