Brad Kenagy

View Brad Kenagy's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • A New Permanent Portfolio For The 21st Century [View article]
    Thank you very much for your comments. I welcome any thoughts/criticisms of my work because through that refinements can be made and make the portfolio better. I do agree with you that the time horizon is short since the funds are relatively new, but so far the results have been promising.

I chose the low Vol ETFs because i wanted to reduce portfolio volatility, and the low vol ETFs have a higher yield than say the SPY. While they may not outperform when the market is rising, they have better returns compared to the market when it is falling.

A favorite saying of mine my professor from college said: "Good investors can pick stocks/ETFs and outperform in a bull market but great investors pick stocks/ETFs that outperform in a bear market."

Again, thank you for the comments I appreciate them.
    Apr 30, 2013. 10:24 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Love ETFs, And You Should Too [View article]
    Great article, I believe the real "great rotation" is from mutual funds to ETFs.
    Apr 23, 2013. 11:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Gold Foreshadowing A Stock Market Implosion? [View article]
    Dug up this little nugget of information from a businesswire article from 2009.

Quote from the article "The disclosure, GATA says, contradicts denials provided by the Fed to GATA in 2001 and suggests that the Fed is indeed very much involved in the surreptitious international central bank manipulation of the gold price particularly and the currency markets generally."

Then this article about gold swaps from 2010, it says "one or more banks had lent 380 tonnes of gold to the Bank of International Settlements in return for foreign currencies, there was widespread surprise and confusion."

"Concerns hinged on whether the BIS could potentially sell on this vast cache of bullion in the event of a default, flooding the market with liquidity. It appears to have raised $14bn for whoever's been doing the swapping – small fry on the currency markets, but serious liquidity in the gold market."

Based on these examples from years past it feels like something is going to happen in the stocks market. Maybe a black swan.
    Apr 14, 2013. 10:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Comparing Buybacks To Dividend Growth [View article]
    Nu Skin Enterprises Inc. (NUS) Here is the list of 8:

NUS -13.74%
    MHP +7.82%
    COP +7.93%
    NSC +14.22%
    BDX +26.52%
    LOW +26.82%
    CB +28.88%
    BMI +60.07%
    Apr 12, 2013. 11:04 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Comparing Buybacks To Dividend Growth [View article]
    Only 8 DG stocks had buybacks of 5% or more, which is the level that PKW screens companies buying back stock.
    Apr 12, 2013. 10:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Looking At Dividend Growth Through A Different Lens [View article]
    Thank you for the comment, and thank you for the link.
    Apr 11, 2013. 10:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Play The Oil Market With Commodity ETFs [View article]
    Looking at the chart for Crude oil on Y-Charts for the last two years it shows that USO has underperformed WTI, but I also looked at other oil ETFs, the The United States 12 Month Oil ETF (USL) which performed better than the USO, but still not quite up to par with the spot price. I then looked at the PowerShares DB Oil ETF (DBO) and showed a similar pattern as USL.I also looked at an ETN, the iPath S&P Crude Oil Total Return Index ETN (OIL) and it had a similar return to USO.

So after all that, I believe that USL, is the best choice out of the options out there to track the price of oil the closest. Best fund in a bad group of funds.
    Apr 10, 2013. 02:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Looking At Dividend Growth Through A Different Lens [View article]
    Thank you for the suggestion. HDV is a good choice because it has a weighting around 94% in large and mega-cap stocks, which according to my data are the best performing segments, another option would be the WisdomTree LargeCap Dividend ETF (DLN).
    Apr 10, 2013. 12:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Franco Nevada - Gold Investment That Works [View article]
    If you read my article, in addition to FNV, my screen came up with RGLD and AUY. I then compared all three to the gold miner ETF, and the physical gold ETF (GLD)
    Apr 9, 2013. 11:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Franco Nevada - Gold Investment That Works [View article]
    I prefer to stick with winners that have a proven track record, have you looked at the chart of FNV compared to ANV, 1 year FNV +7%, and ANV down -50%.
    Apr 9, 2013. 10:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Franco Nevada - Gold Investment That Works [View article]
    Great article, FNV was one of the stocks I highlighted in my 2012 article about picking gold miners that outperformed miners as a group (GDX), and well as Physical gold (GLD). The three one my list after my screen were (FNV), (RLGD), (AUY).
    Apr 9, 2013. 04:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Regulators are investigating whether "a benchmark daily rate set by a group of banks" has been the subject of widespread manipulation. Sound familiar? The CFTC has issued multiple subpoenas in connection with its investigation into the possible manipulation of ISDAFIX, the rate referenced by $379T (that's "trillion") of interest-rate swaps which are used by "everyone from hedge funds to manufacturing companies … to protect against fluctuations in funding costs."  [View news story]
    $379 trillion, nothing can go wrong with something that size... talk about to big to fail lol.
    Apr 8, 2013. 09:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • It Is Not Different This Time - It Is Worse [View article]
    I never mentioned specifically the gulf coast so I don't know why you keep bringing it up, because there are refiners on the west coast, east coast etc.

I did answer your question: I said "as a country the 4 week average of 7,735,000 Barrels of crude/day that the US imports" 7,735,000 is a number not a percentage. And I also said "Exports of refined products as a country the 4 week average is 2,947,000."

So, as a country we currently are importing more barrels of oil, than we are exporting in refined products. But that is changing, as the data shows, did you even look at the charts I provided? Within the next 5 years we will export more refined products than we import in barrels of oil.

I'm talking about the US as a whole, not specific parts.
    Apr 8, 2013. 03:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • It Is Not Different This Time - It Is Worse [View article]
    Data from EIA shows we import as a country the 4 week average of 7,735,000 Barrels of crude/day that the US imports, and has been declining steadily for the last 6 years.

Link: http://1.usa.gov/10MkwE5

Data from EIA on exports of refined products as a country the 4 week average is 2,947,000 and rising rapidly.

Since the peak on 6/16/2006 oil imports have declined -28.49% while exported refined products over the same time period grew +165.02%. The data proves my point, as a country we are importing less from foreign sources, which means the refiners are refining our own oil and exporting the finished refined products to the rest of the world.
    Apr 8, 2013. 03:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Warning! Dow, And Transports Signal Correction Is Coming. [View instapost]
    I only have to disclose what I am short if I mention it in the article, but since you asked the I have hedged my equity positions with a broad government bond ETF (PLW), and with the ProShares Short MSCI EAFE ETF (EFZ). I like EFZ because 63% of the holdings are from Europe and I think Europe has more pain in store for it.
    Apr 4, 2013. 10:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment