Brad Kenagy

View Brad Kenagy's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Seniors Screwed By Fed Policies [View article]
    Great article, I agree with the other comment, about it not being just about seniors, but savers in general. So I thought of a simple ETF portfolio for someone retiring, or that is looking for conservative investments:

PIMCO Enhanced Short Maturity Strategy ETF (MINT)
    YIELD: 0.90%
    -The Pimco ETF is kinda like a Moneymoney fund.

iShares Aaa – A Rated Corporate Bond ETF (QLTA)
    YIELD:1.73%
    -This fund only owns the highest rated corporate bonds.

PIMCO 1-5 Year U.S. TIPS Index ETF (STPZ)
    YIELD: 1.33%
    -This fund invests in TIPS with between 1- 5 years remaining, and the coupons adjust to rising inflation if there is any.

PowerShares Emerging Markets Sovereign Debt Portfolio ETF (PCY)
    YIELD:4.46%
    -This fund owns bonds from Emerging market countries, which as a whole have stronger finances than the developed countries of the world.

PowerShares S&P 500 Low Volatility Portfolio ETF (SPLV)
    YIELD: 4.51%
    -This fund owns the lowest volatility stocks in the S&P 500, the majority of the holdings are Consumer Staples, Healthcare, Utilities.

As far as allocations here is my idea:

SPLV:20%
    STPZ: 20%
    PCY:10%
    MINT: 30%
    QLTA: 20%

So the composite yield of the portfolio using those weights would be: 2.23%

Using data from ETF replay the data shows the portfolio has a higher risk adjusted return that the SPY, has an above average correlation to the SPY, and a Neutral correlation to the AGG:

Since Feb 16th [inception day of QLTA]

AGG Return:3.00%
    AGG Volatility:2.6%
    AGG return/ volatility:1.15%

Disclosure: LONG (SPLV)
    Dec 21 07:01 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Commodity Megatrend [View article]
    Great article, loved the charts
    May 10 10:20 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tapping Into Home Equity To Buy Stocks Is A Very Risky Proposition [View article]
    Great article, nothing says "bubble" like borrowing against an asset to buy more of that same asset (in 2008 home equity to buy "investment properties") and if the same starts occurring now with stocks look out below. For a fun read, read the comments to the Jonathan Yates article.
    Mar 25 10:31 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Small restaurant chain adds ACA surcharge to diners' checks [View news story]
    This is how business works, whether they specifically call it an ACA "Surcharge" or just built that into the price of the food & you never know, the point is businesses pass on the charges to customers.
    Feb 28 03:22 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 2014 Growth Stock Picks [View article]
    I plan on posting a article about the performance of my Undervalued stock of the week series at the end of the year.
    Dec 20 11:04 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 2014 Growth Stock Picks [View article]
    Thank you for your comment, also you are CHERRY PICKING data.

TNH -34.77% since my article vs Fertilizer ETF (SOIL) -15.43% so I will give you that one.

Did you forget to mention HIMX up 147.80% since June when I wrote about it.

Looking at my Undervalued of the Week stock series:

Since June I have made 18 picks: 16/18 have had a positive return. Below are the results of my Undervalued stock of the week series so far:

SPY
    UNP Union Pacific Corp 7.25% 2.99%
    SWI SolarWinds 14.92% 0.79%
    HLS Healthsouth Corp -3.49% 0.37%
    OAS Oasis Petroleum 5.39% 0.29%
    Dec 20 11:03 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Bubble Continues To Form In The Stock Market [View article]
    Great article, also be wary of economists/politicians etc in this upcoming quarter who tout the economy is growing great, because starting with the current quarter the way GDP is calculated was changed significantly by the government to inflate GDP. Below is the link to the article by a fellow SA author, and he lays out some interesting points.

I strongly believe the media will neglect to report that the increased GDP is from a new way of calculating GDP, which when combined with the stock market run we have had I believe will lead the retail investor back into the market with the feeling that its "safe now" and push the market higher to the bubble status you talked about, and then like all the last bubbles, when the public are the last investors in,that is the top of the bubble, and a fall in the market will ensue. In addition I believe the rise in the market I think has blinded many investors who forget we have nearly $17 trillion in debt, and massive funding gaps for entitlements, and those problems are not going away. Just my thoughts.

Aug 2 11:43 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Takes Out Major Support: Next Stop $1,350 [View article]
    I dont know, but my article I had published today that is bullish on gold im almost certain has way less than this article.
    Apr 3 08:55 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • By a 75-24 margin, the Senate has passed a non-binding vote of approval for a bill allowing states to collect sales taxes from online retailers with $1M+  in annual sales and no presence within a given state's borders. The margin of victory suggests a filibuster shouldn't be a problem when a binding vote is made. Amazon (AMZN) and eBay (EBAY) have already begun collecting in a number of large states, and many investors have already assumed collections will expand in time. (previous[View news story]
    I dont appreciate you calling me naive, I have a Bachelors degree in business and economics, I know what I'm talking about. I prefer to back up my claims with actual sources:

Using data from the Census Bureau:

Real Median Household Income 2008: $54,349
    Real Median Household Income 2011: $50,502

Data for 2012 will be released in Sep 2013.

Last time I did math, $50 Thousand is less than $54 thousand, so when you say "middle class has more dollars than they did when Obama took office." You are WRONG!!

Mar 24 07:34 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You are living in Obama's fantasy land if you think Obama is the best friend of the middle class. In the real world his policies and agenda are hurting the middle class.
    Mar 24 06:19 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Reasons The S&P 500 Could Fall 20% By The End Of 2013 [View article]
    Thank you for your comments. I agree with your points as well. If I had to make a guess, I think the correction would be less than 20% if there were none of the three Fiscal issues I outlined above. But that isn't the case, I really have very little belief that President Obama, or either party in congress can come together for a "Common sense" deal on the fiscal issues. Most likely more poor short-term fixes.
    Feb 21 05:40 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bakken Turbocharging These 2 Refiners [View article]
    Just because you lost money doesn't mean its a ponzi scheme.

An example: You bought 40 shares of AAPL at $700 in September, but it dropped to $450 at the end of January. So you would have lost $10000, so using your logic of losing money, AAPL is a ponzi scheme?

Obviously the answer is NO Apple is not a ponzi scheme, it was just the wrong time to buy.

Sounds like you just chose the wrong MLP to invest in, or bought it at the wrong time.

Still, do you have any real information, why MLP's in General are a ponzi scheme, or are you just speculating?
    Feb 10 09:32 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Has Buffett Gone Mad? Berkshire Hathaway Founder Steps Up A $1B For College Basketball [View article]
    @phillip Marlowe that is the most left field theory I have ever heard of. #areyouserious Sounds to me like your not a sports guy lol.
    Jan 24 04:24 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 2014 Growth Stock Picks [View article]
    Thank you for your comment, I am talking about all cars,trucks in the US. Consumers are keeping there cars longer so as they get older they will need more parts etc. to maintain the performance of the car.
    Dec 20 10:45 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MTUM: Profiting From The Madness Of Crowds [View article]
    I looked at this ETF and decided its name is a little misleading, after looking at its top holdings: JNJ, GILD,VZ,PEP,PG I would hardly characterize those at "Momentum stocks" I would go with the market leader in the momentum space which is the PowerShares DWA Momentum Portfolio ETF (PDP) whose top 5 holdings are: AAPL, STRZA, PCLN,ORLY, JBHT.

Disclosure: No positions in MTUM, PDP, or any of the stocks mentioned and no plans to initiate a position.
    Oct 14 12:45 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment