Brad Kenagy

View Brad Kenagy's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • My 2014 Growth Stock Picks [View article]
    Obamacare will affect stocks if consumers have less disposable income because of increased healthcare costs. With consumer spending being a huge portion of GDP, any drop in disposable income could be a risk.
    Dec 20, 2013. 04:51 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Top 12 Ideas For Your Portfolio In 2014 [View article]
    @artbr549 just because his picks dont follow YOUR investment objects, doesnt mean there is anything wrong with his strategy.

Just wondering what your investment strategy is,I encourage you to post of publish an article/instablog with your picks for 2014, so other readers can view/comment/criticize your picks.
    Dec 13, 2013. 09:27 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Southern Company (SO) says it will take a $540M pre-tax, $333M after-tax charge related to increased costs at its Mississippi coal plant. (8-K[View news story]
    That is exactly what President Obama and the EPA want, force costs to rise for cheap power to make alternatives more viable, but in the end those higher costs are just passed on to consumers.
    Apr 23, 2013. 07:06 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can The Alerian MLP ETF And Its 8% Expense Ratio Really Be Trusted Anymore? [View article]
    You are only looking at the performance in good markets, look at the performance of AMLP compared to other ETFs and NOT MLP ETNs because of the structure of ETNs. Because all MLP ETFs that have more than a 25% allocation to MLPs are structured as a C-Corp just like AMLP. I have been a shareholder since right after the inception for AMLP. 5%+ Dividend yield, and because the fund takes out money for taxes it has lower volatility than other MLP funds. Which is what I was looking for out of the investment knowing about the deferred tax liability, something with a high income, and low volatility

Here is a quote from a Zacks article:

"Lower volatility results from its ability to reverse some of deferred tax liabilities when the market is down."

From the Prospectus :

"Potential Substantial After-Tax Tracking Error from Underlying Index Performance. As discussed above, the Fund will be subject to taxation on its taxable income. The NAV of Fund Shares will also be reduced by the accrual of any current and deferred tax liabilities. The Underlying Index however is calculated without any deductions for taxes. As a result, the Fund’s after
    tax performance could differ significantly from the Underlying Index even if the pretax performance of the Fund and the performance of the Underlying Index are closely correlated."

The prospectus clearly spells out that there will be a difference between the return of the fund and the index. KNOW WHAT YOU OWN. If you, or your broker are not willing to do the simple research to find out what you are owning, then I would recommend sticking to plain vanilla stock funds to avoid any confusion.
    Sep 29, 2014. 08:02 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chamber study predicts Obama's "war on coal" will kill jobs [View news story]
    I understand the environmental issues, however the statement of "cut household energy costs" I believe is false. If I'm not mistaken coal is the cheapest form of electricity so how will removing the cheapest source of energy from the grid result in lower costs for consumers.
    May 28, 2014. 07:54 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Colgate-Palmolive: My Definition Of A Quality Stock [View article]
    Thank you for your comment, my article got published not even 12 hours ago and I have only 1051 page views, so not $10.51 of article earning hardly qualifies as revenue generating. If I wanted to generate revenue I would write lots of articles on Apple, Tesla, Netflix, Amazon, etc.
    Apr 27, 2014. 03:00 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ETFs Are Not What You Think They Are [View article]
    You bring up some valid point but it also would have been nice to see the returns for double/triple LONG funds in this bull market were in.

Also, your statement of "The core problem is that these instruments sound like a good idea. But they just aren't." is not quite correct. Your statement is correct when your talking about someone who is INVESTING, but for someone who is TRADING on a short-term basis as the products are designed for then your statement does not apply.

Also, almost every fund page states an example like the following for SH: "This Short ProShares ETF seeks a return that is -1x the return of an index or other benchmark (target) for a SINGLE DAY, as measured from one NAV calculation to the next. Due to the compounding of daily returns, ProShares' returns over periods other than one day will likely differ in amount and possibly direction from the target return for the same period."

It spells it out pretty simply that the product has risks if you hold it long-term. Simply put "Know what you own"
    Jan 20, 2014. 10:50 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 2014 Growth Stock Picks [View article]
    I would say insurance companies, because government already has a backstop provided to them to cover any losses that insurance companies.
    Dec 20, 2013. 07:35 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 2014 Growth Stock Picks [View article]
    Thank you for the comment.

The reason is Removal of some risks:
    -Budget deal, as poor as it was, removed the possibility of shutdowns for the next two years.
    -Fed is buying less bonds, weening the market off its addiction to QE.

But then there are still some concerns going forward:

-Debt Ceiling
    -Obamacare
    Dec 20, 2013. 10:43 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AllThingsD: Ford's Mulally now heads list of Ballmer replacements [View news story]
    If Mulally becomes MSFT CEO, I would have to consider MSFT. But would be a little hesitant, with the cross industry hire, ie. Ron Johnson from AAPL to JCP.
    Sep 26, 2013. 07:18 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • "A Carbon Tax That America Could Live With" [View news story]
    This is an endless cycle, government will always try to tax the next new thing. Wherever the government is able to tax they will, example of taxes that didn't exist 100 years ago:

Cigarette Tax
    Corp Income Tax
    Inheritance Tax
    Property Tax

Looks like Carbon Tax is next on the list. This cycle will never stop until another Boston Tea Party lol.
    Sep 1, 2013. 01:00 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Creating A Portfolio To Outperform Obamacare [View article]
    Thank you for your comment. I dont even know who the heritage foundation is, I got the data from their website thats it. So, I find it highly disrespectful that you assume you know what my political beliefs are! Just because I don't like Obamacare doesn't mean using your words a "right wing rag." I'm not letting my political bias inform my investing, im letting the "Political Landscape" inform my creation of this portfolio for this article. If you have any REAL comments that pertain to the makeup of the portfolio that would be great, but if you are going to "bash" please move on and don't waste my time, and fellow readers time.
    Aug 24, 2013. 07:38 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Imagination Tech: Recent Drop, MIPS Potential, And Next Generation IP Makes It A Buy [View article]
    Good article, But I find it Extremely!! suspicious, On June 19th you wrote PRO article titled: "Imagination Technologies: Substantial Downside As Nvidia Enters GPU IP Licensing Business" and now a month & a half later you write an article that is pumping the stock upward, makes no sense to me.

All the arguments you laid out FOR Imagination were also present @ the time of your Bearish article, so I find it very suspicious that you could be both extremely bearish "substantial downside" & extremely bullish "the company has 40% upside" in a less than 2 month time period.

Care to explain to this to the readers?
    Aug 13, 2013. 10:38 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seniors Screwed By Fed Policies [View article]
    Great article, I agree with the other comment, about it not being just about seniors, but savers in general. So I thought of a simple ETF portfolio for someone retiring, or that is looking for conservative investments:

PIMCO Enhanced Short Maturity Strategy ETF (MINT)
    YIELD: 0.90%
    -The Pimco ETF is kinda like a Moneymoney fund.

iShares Aaa – A Rated Corporate Bond ETF (QLTA)
    YIELD:1.73%
    -This fund only owns the highest rated corporate bonds.

PIMCO 1-5 Year U.S. TIPS Index ETF (STPZ)
    YIELD: 1.33%
    -This fund invests in TIPS with between 1- 5 years remaining, and the coupons adjust to rising inflation if there is any.

PowerShares Emerging Markets Sovereign Debt Portfolio ETF (PCY)
    YIELD:4.46%
    -This fund owns bonds from Emerging market countries, which as a whole have stronger finances than the developed countries of the world.

PowerShares S&P 500 Low Volatility Portfolio ETF (SPLV)
    YIELD: 4.51%
    -This fund owns the lowest volatility stocks in the S&P 500, the majority of the holdings are Consumer Staples, Healthcare, Utilities.

As far as allocations here is my idea:

SPLV:20%
    STPZ: 20%
    PCY:10%
    MINT: 30%
    QLTA: 20%

So the composite yield of the portfolio using those weights would be: 2.23%

Using data from ETF replay the data shows the portfolio has a higher risk adjusted return that the SPY, has an above average correlation to the SPY, and a Neutral correlation to the AGG:

Since Feb 16th [inception day of QLTA]

AGG Return:3.00%
    AGG Volatility:2.6%
    AGG return/ volatility:1.15%

Disclosure: LONG (SPLV)
    Dec 21, 2012. 07:01 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Commodity Megatrend [View article]
    Great article, loved the charts
    May 10, 2012. 10:20 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment