Brad Kenagy

View Brad Kenagy's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Mallinckrodt: Strong Growth From Transformative Acquisitions Paying Off [View article]
    @webkowuite Thank you for the comment, The Citron letter was wrote almost a year ago and I have heard nothing about the FDA pulling the drug.
    Feb 24, 2015. 10:37 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Carl Icahn's Apple Price Target Appears Unrealistic [View article]
    Thank you for the comment, I'm bullish on Apple as well, just not to the tune of $216/share.
    Feb 19, 2015. 01:22 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Applying Momentum To The Holdings Of Berkshire Hathaway [View article]
    The returns for SPY were calculated the same way I did the holdings of Berkshire I looked at. The percentage change from the price six months from the filing date.

For example: on the 5/15/2014 filing date the SPY closed at $187.40, and the closing price six months from that date was $204.24, which is a gain of 8.99%.

For the bottom table where I am comparing the momentum overlay strategy to the SPY, for example the three periods where the Berkshire Holdings had a negative momentum the corresponding returns of the SPY during those periods as calculated above were: 5.24% , 6.38%, 10.60% and the average return of those is 7.41% which is what is shown in the table.
    Feb 11, 2015. 12:28 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can This ETF Be The Core Of A Diversified Global Portfolio? [View article]
    You need to get your figures correct as far as expense ratios go, because yours are wrong. You say for instance for SCTO "It carries a hefty expense ratio" however, GMOM TOTAL expense ratio is higher than SCTO. Since the inception of GMOM, EFFE has outperformed GMOM, and GMOM has outperformed SCTO.

Also, I don't know why you did not include any other multi-asset funds like:

(CVY)
    (MDIV)
    (IYLD)
    (INKM)

or any of the suite of iShares allocation ETFs: (AOR) (AOM) (AOK) (AOA)

Total Fees each ETF charges for fund of fund choices:

GMOM: Man fee 0.59%+0.35% acquired fund fees=0.94%
    SCTO: Man fee 0.69%+0.17% acquired fund fees=0.86%
    EEFE: Man fee 0.69%+0.17% acquired fund fees=0.86%
    Feb 3, 2015. 11:43 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GT Advanced files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy [View news story]
    I looked at the option activity on Friday and nothing really stood out except someone bought 3198 $11 November puts, and there was open interest of 9155 contracts. Besides that I saw nothing else as far as option activity on Friday. Those contracts purchased at a price around $145/contract are now worth about $1015/contract so whoever that was has a nice $2.7 million gain on value of the option contracts.
    Oct 6, 2014. 12:10 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Has Buffett Gone Mad? Berkshire Hathaway Founder Steps Up A $1B For College Basketball [View article]
    @phillip Marlowe that is the most left field theory I have ever heard of. #areyouserious Sounds to me like your not a sports guy lol.
    Jan 24, 2014. 04:24 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 2014 Growth Stock Picks [View article]
    Thank you for your comment, I am talking about all cars,trucks in the US. Consumers are keeping there cars longer so as they get older they will need more parts etc. to maintain the performance of the car.
    Dec 20, 2013. 10:45 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MTUM: Profiting From The Madness Of Crowds [View article]
    I looked at this ETF and decided its name is a little misleading, after looking at its top holdings: JNJ, GILD,VZ,PEP,PG I would hardly characterize those at "Momentum stocks" I would go with the market leader in the momentum space which is the PowerShares DWA Momentum Portfolio ETF (PDP) whose top 5 holdings are: AAPL, STRZA, PCLN,ORLY, JBHT.

Disclosure: No positions in MTUM, PDP, or any of the stocks mentioned and no plans to initiate a position.
    Oct 14, 2013. 12:45 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Creating A Portfolio To Outperform Obamacare [View article]

1. IHF should continue to rise because the number of insured will be increasing under the ACA.

2. The relevance of the healthcare inflation index, is to use it as a benchmark.

3. The point I was making about biotechs is that they are researching amazing new products that yes contribute to medical inflation because of the high costs to develop, but those costs are passed on if a drug passes the FDA and is brought to market. So, I thought it would be a good idea to take advantage of that.

ALSO!

I dont appreciate your condescending tone of "nameless author posting his unqualified opinion." You don't even have a bio. at least I have a name to my opinion, you are just some random comment troller.
    Aug 26, 2013. 04:01 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rentech Nitrogen Partners: Investors With An Eye Only On The Sky Might Miss Something [View article]
    Wow! that was a great article. I am a shareholder of RNF, and you have given me lots to think about, i knew some of the information but not in the detail you gave. Thank you for the excellent article.
    Jun 17, 2013. 12:31 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Short Candidates For When The Tide Goes Out [View article]
    When someone writes a comment on one of my articles 99% of of the time I always say "Thank you for the comment" but your comment is rude and provides nothing to the topic of my article.

What do you think investors will dump first if there is a correction?

-AMD which is unprofitable and pays no dividend.
    -INTC which is profitable and pays a 3.71% dividend yield.
    May 9, 2013. 10:17 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Gold Foreshadowing A Stock Market Implosion? [View article]
    Great article, I completely agree with your conclusion that there is a possibility that gold could be the canary (also yellow like gold) in the coal mine for a major market correction.

Whats odd is the dollar index, usually, gold is inversely correlated to the dollar, and looking at the chart for the Dollar index it hit a low at around 11 am which is the same time the GLD hit its morning low. After that the Dollar index hit a low it proceeded to rise steadily the rest of the trading day, and gold went sideways for awhile then fell off even more.

I think the move in gold is currency driven, in my recent article about reasons could should be increasing: central bank buying,expense for miners are rising and are cutting back mining, rising US debt limit all of which are strong fundamental reasons why gold should be increasing, but I think the strong dollar has been hurting gold.

What is really bad is the correlation, I use a 3 month correlation and SPY,and UUP are currently correlated over 80% and the last time that happened was 12/14/2007. So in a correction of stocks dollar usually rises, which would mean possible further pain for gold.
    Apr 14, 2013. 11:54 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It Is Not Different This Time - It Is Worse [View article]
    @shourey Production boomed because of Science and technology NOT because of any policy of President Obama. We would not have had the oil and gas production today without the science to find new oil fields (ie the Bakken and others) and the technology (fracking, horizontal drilling, etc.)

If production has boomed why have gas prices gone up under president Obama? The reason why prices have gone up...is Obama's EPA and its regulations. It is not cost effective for refiners to build a new refinery to refine crude for gasoline for Americans.

The high production is a double edged sword, because of the high production here, our price of crude oil [WTI] is much lower than Brent. Because of that refiners are choosing to buy crude at WTI prices, refine it, and export it to the rest of the world for the Brent Prices. Look at the charts of the refiners over the since the last time Brent & WTI traded at the same price which was October 18 2010, the data backs up my point.

Major refiners returns since that date:

Valero Energy Corporation (VLO): +143%
    Tesoro Corporation (TSO): +299%
    HollyFrontier Corp. (HFC): +208%
    Apr 8, 2013. 12:10 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Be Protected Before The Next Market Crash [View article]
    In your hedging your long portfolio, the only problem I see is that SPY, and SDY and 96% correlated. I would keep SDY because it has a higher dividend yield than the SPY, and replace, SPY with an international ETF like the WisdomTree Emerging Markets Equity Income ETF (DEM) which has a 82% correlation to the SDY.

The results using ETFreplay.com since July 13th 2007, which is DEM inception date.

Your Hedging Portfolio: 43.8% Total Return with 7.4% Volatility.
    Your Portfolio with my suggestion: 47.1% Total Return with 7.9% volatility.

So with my single improvement you get:

-A Better risk adjusted return.
    -More Diversification
    -Lowers your equity correlation to each other

Just a thought.
    Apr 7, 2013. 11:51 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Takes Out Major Support: Next Stop $1,350 [View article]
    I disagree you, gold has not broken its support, using the spot price, not the price of the GLD, as I show in my article I wrote yesterday, there is a strong support at the $1526.50 level, which has been tested twice and held, so that is the level I am watching, if it breaks that the next level of support is at $1433.40, but I believe that gold will hold the $1526.50 level.

Apr 3, 2013. 07:24 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment