Brad Kenagy

View Brad Kenagy's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Picking Shares Of Intel Out Of The 'Old Tech' Waste Basket [View article]
    Douglas,

Thank you for your comment. Well I have proven Cramer wrong earlier this year, he said on his "Six in 60" segment when he got to the last company, Barrick Gold (ABX) he said, "Just can't stand these gold miners, they are awful. You want to own gold, own the GLD."

So I wrote an article about looking for quality gold miners and developed a screen to find them to challenge Jim Cramer on his comment.

The results since the article was written on Jan 25th 2012:

(RGLD) : +23.82%
    (AUY) : +23.17%
    (FNV) : +33.54%

(GLD) : +3.19%
    (GDX) : -7.29%

So My picks greatly outperformed the GLD by a wide margin, as well as the GDX which is the ETF for Gold Miners. Also, the results dont account for dividends, just price return, so the outperformance is even greater because the GLD does not pay dividends.

Link to my Gold Miner Article:

Nov 29, 2012. 05:14 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Picking Shares Of Intel Out Of The 'Old Tech' Waste Basket [View article]
    Thank you for your comment. Intel may be a falling knife, but it has a great balance sheet, pays a great well covered dividend [39% payout ratio], that is covered by increasing cash flows, and plenty of earnings.
    Nov 29, 2012. 04:40 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Potential Giant Killer That Is Advanced Cell Technology [View article]
    Well they talked about two options of reverse split 20-1 or 80-1, at 20-1 new price based on current price of $0.073 would be $1.46 and at 80-1 price would be $5.84, so if they want to potentially be picked up by mutual funds and hedge funds they usually have a $5/share minimum price, so being a current shareholder I would vote for the 80-1 split so our shares could be bought by mutual funds and hedge funds.

To answer the question about buying pre/post reverse split I would buy before the split and just make sure your share is a multiple of 80, so you dont end up with any fractional shares, which is what I did.

DISCLOSURE: LONG (ACTC.OB) and may add to position on a pullback.
    Oct 8, 2012. 11:11 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Private Equity That's Publicly Traded [View article]
    Very good article, I recently was searching for a BDC to add to my IRA for yield, and searched a did some research on all the companies above in your article as well as (TCAP) which is what I ended up choosing.

Below are Total Returns from Dividendchannel.com DRIP return calculator from feb 22 2007 when TCAP came public.

BX: -41.02%
    ACAS: -59.62%
    ARCC: +118.07%
    FIG: -86.69%
    MCGC: -55.72%
    AINV: -17.57%
    TCAP: +129.17%

When I compared TCAP and ARCC i used FinViz for monthly volatility and found (Return/Volatility):

Because the returns were pretty close to each other i looked at FinViz category for EPS growth this past year and the results:

TCAP: 45.93% EPS growth this past year.
    ARCC: -60.17% EPS growth this past year.

So i decided to choose TCAP.

Disclosure: Long TCAP
    Apr 8, 2012. 11:42 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 2015 Value Stock Picks [View article]
    Thank you for your comment, I was surprised to see all insurance companies as the most undervalued in each market cap segment. Someone looking at my article could use my final lists for each market cap segment as a starting points and go from there and for example could select: Macy's, American Financial Group, and Neenah Paper, or some other combination. Another option would be to buy puts on the SPDR S&P Insurance ETF (KIE) to hedge insurance exposure.
    Dec 31, 2014. 11:52 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 2015 Growth Stock Picks [View article]
    Thank you for the comment. If I was looking for clicks I should have made an article title like the top article right now on the front page of SA "grandma got run over by a dividend portfolio" lol. Whoever wrote it did good because how can you not click on that to investigate such an odd title lol.
    Dec 30, 2014. 10:48 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My New Years Resolution: Balance My Risky Portfolio [View article]
    I agree with @HackFAB that a ROTH IRA is a great option. For me personally I am also a "young investor" I have a Roth where I buy quality investments, and I have a plain investment account for my "risky" investment choices.

If you are looking for someplace to start here are a couple ideas:

Warren Buffett Holdings:

OR From my article on finding the best quality stocks.

Good luck in your investing.

Brad
    Dec 29, 2014. 09:45 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Molycorp Hits 52-Week Low On Debt-For-Equity Swap [View article]
    If you trade options, an idea would be to buy the $1 January 2016 puts, or $0.50 puts to hedge your long position from further downside. Another option is to cut your losses and move on.
    Nov 26, 2014. 11:55 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Genzyme's Lemtrada approved by the FDA [View news story]
    I am LONG GCVRZ, what do you expect it to open at on Monday, or are you going to write an article about it this weekend?
    Nov 14, 2014. 10:29 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Finally! A Cyber Security ETF [View article]
    Thank you for the information Mark, it has been helpful. I suspected that because IBM and others have such a large foot print they would not be included. The information you gave will help @Momintn understand why IBM was not included in the index.

Brad
    Nov 14, 2014. 12:17 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Case For McDonald's Potential Acquisition Of Chipotle: If You Can't Beat Them..Buy Them [View article]
    Thank you for the comment. Yes MCD did spin-off CMG. The way I look at it, MCD could buy CMG and bring it back under the McDonalds umbrella just like Kinder Morgan did with units that it spun off. Kinder Morgan bought back units it spun off at a significantly higher price, so I don't really see a problem with MCD buying CMG at a higher price.

Here is the plan:

-Leave CMG Management intact and operating as its own subsidiary of MCD.
    -Add some CMG menu options at existing MCD Locations.
    -Replace serial under-performing McDonald's Locations with Chipotle.
    Oct 24, 2014. 01:29 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM to make 'major announcement,' release earnings Monday morning [View news story]
    The globalfoundaries deal, I dont think is "major" since it as been known that they were trying to unload the business.

If I had to guess it is there are buying EMC, because HP & EMC ended merger talks, maybe IBM gave a better price? EMC + Large stake in VMW.
    Oct 19, 2014. 09:56 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • YUM! Brands misses by $0.02, misses on revenue [View news story]
    Only in this market can a stock miss EPS estimates, Revenues and cut estimates and RISE afterhours lol.
    Oct 7, 2014. 10:57 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Investors Take Note That An Industry Report Shows Gold Production Dropping Precipitously [View article]
    With the scenario you outlined in your article about declining production, and your thoughts on gold miners, would owning Royalty companies like Franco Nevada (NYSE:FNV), or Royal Gold (NASDAQ:RGLD) be a better option that large gold miners, or a broad basket like the GDX?

Disclosure: Long FNV
    Jul 27, 2014. 09:36 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Money Are You Planning To Lose In Your Bond Portfolio? [View article]
    You analysis is incomplete, you forgot to add the Income amount to your "Potential Value after decline" because bond investor focus on TOTAL RETURN. I redid your spreadsheet and added other bond funds that you forgot to mention some of which could be profitable when rates rise, and I have created a Google spreadsheet so I could correct your mistakes, so everyone could get the correct information.

Some of the funds based on TOTAL RETURN that could make money:

BSJF, OOSYX , TGTRX, SJNK, FLOT, HYHG, AGND, AGZD, IGHG, HYND, HYZD