Brad Kenagy

View Brad Kenagy's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Gilead Sciences: The Best GARP Stock In The S&P 500 [View article]
    Thank you for the comment. I believe Gilead stock has been subdued because of possible fears of other cheaper alternatives being selected as what happened to Gilead earlier this year. However, I believe that growth from outside the US will more than make up for any lost sales in the US.
    May 12, 2015. 05:53 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead Sciences: The Best GARP Stock In The S&P 500 [View article]
    Thank you for the comment. I don't think GILD EPS will peak in 2017, I think it will be around 2019 because I saw a note from analysts somewhere that 2019 was the year the estimated Japan would reach peak sales. This does not take into account the rest of its Pipeline or any potential acquisitions they may make over the next couple years.
    May 12, 2015. 02:57 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead Sciences: The Best GARP Stock In The S&P 500 [View article]
    Thank you for the comment I am glad you enjoyed my article. As I noted in my disclosure at the top of the article I am considering buying some GILD because of the attractive value the company is currently trading at given its future growth prospects, and dividend initiation. You mentioned short-interest and I looked at the data on the Nasdaq short-interest page for GILD and short interest is significantly lower than this time last year, therefore I would not expect a rally driven by shorts covering.

May 12, 2015. 02:50 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead Sciences: The Best GARP Stock In The S&P 500 [View article]
    Thank you for the comment. From the Gilead buyback announcement: "The new program will expire 5 years after the completion of the May 2014 program. " The May 2014 program expired in April of this year.

As for the share prices, I explained that Gilead has average 26.85% return/year over the last decade, and I applied that rate to continue for the next 5 years.

May 12, 2015. 02:45 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Drawbacks Of Apple's Cash Hoard Are Starting To Show [View article]
    Apple today issued $8 billion in bonds today, adding to their debt total.

May 7, 2015. 10:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Channeling Your Inner Activist Investor With The New Activist ETF [View article]
    Thank you for the comment. ACTX I believe will have a similar return profile to that of GURU as the activist 13F/13D filers are a subset of all hedge funds,etc that are included in GURU.
    May 5, 2015. 01:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The chart under the "Historical Performance" Section shows the index return since its inception in 2010. I could not find any charting website, bloomberg included that has the ACTX index available to compare to the S&P 500.
    May 5, 2015. 01:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you for posting the link.
    May 5, 2015. 12:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you for the comment, that is your opinion. As @458ITALIA asked above about the Correlation to the S&P 500, i found that 41 of the 50 holdings were in the S&P 500, and the 9 companies that were not in S&P 500 were also large cap stocks, therefore the S&P 500 IS an appropriate benchmark.
    May 5, 2015. 10:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you for the comment. Currently 41 out of the 50 companies ACTX holds are in the S&P 500. The nine companies that are in ACTX and not in the S&P 500 are are listed below with their market caps, and as you can see the majority of these names are large cap stocks so they fit in with the S&P 500. So to answer your question, the correlation is high (80% +)
    CVI CVR Energy, Inc. $3.51B
    PAH Platform Specialty Products Corporation $5.17B
    HOLX Hologic Inc. $9.63B
    HTZ Hertz Global Holdings, Inc. $9.96B
    FNF Fidelity National Financial, Inc. $11.57B
    AGU Agrium Inc. $15.13B
    PHG Koninklijke Philips N.V $26.48B
    CP Canadian Pacific Railway Limited $32.25B
    VRX Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. $76.50B
    May 5, 2015. 10:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Profiting From The M&A Boom [View instapost]
    Why not just buy the IQ ARB Merger Arbitrage ETF (MNA). The ETF owns the to be acquired company, and includes a market short exposure to hedge, instead of shorting the acquiring company. As the data below shows, MNA has outperformed GDL, and has a built in broad market hedge if there is a major downturn.

Disclosure: I have no positions in MNA, GDL.

Total Return Over the past year:

MNA: +5.88%
    GDL: -0.32%
    May 4, 2015. 10:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you for the comment. Your comment is not supported by any data and thus is irrelevant. The index that ACTX tracks has significantly outperformed the S&P 500 over the last five years, therefore the data shows that activist investors through their actions have helped generate alpha.
    May 4, 2015. 09:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Salesforce reportedly approached by potential buyer; shares +15.4% [View news story]
    Oracle out, SAP out, I still think Dell out of nowhere!
    May 3, 2015. 11:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Entries For Seeking Alpha's Contrarian Idea Contest [View article]
    My thesis on ARG is being proven true today. Airgas is outperforming its peers Praxair & Air Products & Chemicals because Airgas reported earnings that were slightly above estimates and PX & APD earnings were hurt by the strong dollar where as ARG has limited FX risk because 98% of their business is in the United States.

Apr 30, 2015. 10:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Airgas: My Favorite Contrarian Idea For 2015 [View article]
    Just providing an update ARG earnings came in at 1.15/share, and shares are up on the day, where as APD who reported today is down significantly, and PX is also trading down after it reported earnings as well. My thesis and main points of my article were:

"The market has wrongly sold shares of Airgas down more than its competitors given the FX risks that Praxair and Air Products & Chemicals have. "

AND

"I believe the market has been wrong to sell down and short Airgas more than its competitors because Airgas has significantly less FX risk, crude oil has stabilized, and the dollar has stabilized. "
    Apr 30, 2015. 10:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment