Brad Kenagy

View Brad Kenagy's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • A Simple Retirement Portfolio Anyone Can Build (Equal Sector Weights): Year-End Update [View article]
    Why not just do the following portfolio to cut your trading costs:

ALPS Equal Sector Weight ETF (EQL) Yield: 3.19%
    -The index is comprised in equal proportions of the nine Select Sector SPDR Indexes.

iShares Gold Trust ETF (IAU)
    PowerShares Emerging Markets Sovereign Debt Portfolio ETF (PCY)

SPDR Wells Fargo Preferred Stock ETF (PSK)

Using http://bit.ly/WONj8j
    Allocations:

EQL: 25%
    IAU: 25%
    PCY: 25%
    PSK: 25%

Compared to the S&P 500 (SPY), since Sep 17th 2009 which is as far back as data goes for all 4 funds:

Portfolio Total Return: 46%
    Portfolio Volatility: 8.9%

SPY Total Return: 40.5%
    SPY Volatility: 18.1%

So overall nice idea for equal weighting sectors, and mixing in Gold, Preferred stocks, and Emerging Market debt, but you could cut your transaction costs alot by owning EQL instead of owning around 15+ stocks, and still have a portfolio that has a Higher return than the SPY, and with almost half as much volatility.
    Dec 28, 2012. 10:05 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Picking Shares Of Intel Out Of The 'Old Tech' Waste Basket [View article]
    Douglas,

Thank you for your comment. Well I have proven Cramer wrong earlier this year, he said on his "Six in 60" segment when he got to the last company, Barrick Gold (ABX) he said, "Just can't stand these gold miners, they are awful. You want to own gold, own the GLD."

So I wrote an article about looking for quality gold miners and developed a screen to find them to challenge Jim Cramer on his comment.

The results since the article was written on Jan 25th 2012:

(RGLD) : +23.82%
    (AUY) : +23.17%
    (FNV) : +33.54%

(GLD) : +3.19%
    (GDX) : -7.29%

So My picks greatly outperformed the GLD by a wide margin, as well as the GDX which is the ETF for Gold Miners. Also, the results dont account for dividends, just price return, so the outperformance is even greater because the GLD does not pay dividends.

Link to my Gold Miner Article:

Nov 29, 2012. 05:14 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Picking Shares Of Intel Out Of The 'Old Tech' Waste Basket [View article]
    Thank you for your comment. Intel may be a falling knife, but it has a great balance sheet, pays a great well covered dividend [39% payout ratio], that is covered by increasing cash flows, and plenty of earnings.
    Nov 29, 2012. 04:40 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Potential Giant Killer That Is Advanced Cell Technology [View article]
    Well they talked about two options of reverse split 20-1 or 80-1, at 20-1 new price based on current price of $0.073 would be $1.46 and at 80-1 price would be $5.84, so if they want to potentially be picked up by mutual funds and hedge funds they usually have a $5/share minimum price, so being a current shareholder I would vote for the 80-1 split so our shares could be bought by mutual funds and hedge funds.

To answer the question about buying pre/post reverse split I would buy before the split and just make sure your share is a multiple of 80, so you dont end up with any fractional shares, which is what I did.

DISCLOSURE: LONG (ACTC.OB) and may add to position on a pullback.
    Oct 8, 2012. 11:11 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Private Equity That's Publicly Traded [View article]
    Very good article, I recently was searching for a BDC to add to my IRA for yield, and searched a did some research on all the companies above in your article as well as (TCAP) which is what I ended up choosing.

Below are Total Returns from Dividendchannel.com DRIP return calculator from feb 22 2007 when TCAP came public.

BX: -41.02%
    ACAS: -59.62%
    ARCC: +118.07%
    FIG: -86.69%
    MCGC: -55.72%
    AINV: -17.57%
    TCAP: +129.17%

When I compared TCAP and ARCC i used FinViz for monthly volatility and found (Return/Volatility):

Because the returns were pretty close to each other i looked at FinViz category for EPS growth this past year and the results:

TCAP: 45.93% EPS growth this past year.
    ARCC: -60.17% EPS growth this past year.

So i decided to choose TCAP.

Disclosure: Long TCAP
    Apr 8, 2012. 11:42 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Whiting Petroleum to launch offerings for 35M shares, $1B in senior notes [View news story]
    I think you misunderstood me, Just because a company is influenced by a commodity price, that does not mean that company has a high GOVERNANCE risk. The score takes into account: Board Structure, Shareholder Rights, Compensation, and Risk Oversight.

For example, Chevron and Schlumberger have a score of 1 [Low Governance Risk], and Exxon who is a rumored acquirer of WLL has a score of 4.

Mar 23, 2015. 11:45 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Morgan Stanley: Significant Dividend Increase Likely After Stress Test Results [View article]
    MS up huge today, @donzoamania, looks like I was right, a 50% dividend increase is significant.
    Mar 12, 2015. 03:47 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hercules Offshore -28% as analyst throws in the towel after two years [View news story]
    Mike Urban is ranked 3199 out of 3501 analysts on TipRanks. That is all the info you need about his picks.

Feb 27, 2015. 04:59 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Carl Icahn's Apple Price Target Appears Unrealistic [View article]
    @Ed Rudy, Thank you for the comment, and your thoughts on Apple.
    Feb 19, 2015. 05:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Carl Icahn's Apple Price Target Appears Unrealistic [View article]
    Thank you for the comment, you are correct to point out that I am not bearish on Apple at all, my price target is 32% above current the current price. I am not an Apple hater at all.
    Feb 19, 2015. 02:06 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Carl Icahn's Apple Price Target Appears Unrealistic [View article]
    I agree with your assessment of that statement.
    Feb 19, 2015. 01:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Applying Momentum To The Holdings Of Berkshire Hathaway [View article]
    @User 18362172 I have no idea what you are looking at but if you look on the left hand side of the page of the link I gave you, it shows momentum!all by itself, and there is no subcategories for momentum listed on the page so I have no idea what you are looking at.

Here is the description:

"The Momentum study measures the velocity of price changes for a fixed time interval. Momentum is measured by subtracting the price at the beginning of the interval from the latest price."
    Feb 11, 2015. 04:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Applying Momentum To The Holdings Of Berkshire Hathaway [View article]
    @User 18362172, The indicator is just simply momentum, available on pretty much every charting website, and platform. Here is a link to the definition for you:

Feb 11, 2015. 02:50 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Applying Momentum To The Holdings Of Berkshire Hathaway [View article]
    Thank you for posting, I did not include dividends, the data I collected was price return only.
    Feb 11, 2015. 02:24 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Applying Momentum To The Holdings Of Berkshire Hathaway [View article]
    Thank you for the comment, I see your point on looking to the long-term and this article is not about the long-term, this article is about the short to intermediate term as is noted by having Momentum in the title.
    Feb 11, 2015. 12:29 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment