View Brendan O'Boyle's Articles BY TICKER:
Your Biggest Risk In The Market May Not Be What You Think
- The sixth anniversary of the bull market that began in March 2009 is drawing near.
- The risk of a renewed bear market is very real, but it is not the only risk investors face.
- Another risk is missing out on gains and it is well worth considering.
Deere Has Been Stuck In Neutral, But The Seeds For Future Returns Have Been Sown
- Deere has lagged the market in recent years and business performance has been soft.
- Yet, in a richly priced market, the company has a valuation that in the past has led to attractive shareholder returns.
- Investors like Warren Buffett are accumulating the stock and it seems likely that good returns will be reaped in due course.
Pfizer Pays A Pretty Penny For Hospira: Here's What You Need To Know
- Pfizer announced on Thursday that they will acquire Hospira for $90/share.
- This deal is examined in the context of Pfizer's corporate strategy.
- Hospira's pipeline of biosimilars and portfolio of injectable drugs warranted a significant premium to the company's market price.
- The relevance of this premium to other generic pharmaceutical companies is discussed.
Warren Buffett Is Right: The Fed Will Have A Tough Time Raising Rates In 2015
- Warren Buffett has stated that the Fed will have a tough time raising interest rates due to strength in the U.S. dollar.
- Market participants seem to expect a Fed Funds Rate of 0.5% by the end of the year.
- If rates stay low for longer, it could catalyze the appreciation of risk assets.
An Update On Epirus In Light Of Recent Developments
- Recent developments regarding the approval of U.S. biosimilars are discussed.
- Epirus has also made a secondary offering this week and this development is analyzed.
- These factors are viewed as net positives for Epirus, which continues to be an attractive high risk/high reward biosimilar investment.
Consider This Before You Sell On Fears Of A Strong Dollar
- Markets tumbled Tuesday on a number of weak earnings reports.
- The strong U.S. dollar was a major culprit.
- Historically, currency changes are not a good predictor of subsequent stock market returns.
- Investors may wish to consider rebalancing their portfolios, but there is little evidence to suggest a major change in strategy is warranted.
Before You Short Tesla Remember This: Tesla Is Selling A Brand, Not A Car
- General Motors has announced it will release a new all-electric car, named the Bolt.
- The Bolt is aimed to compete with Tesla's Model 3 at a similar price point.
- This could be described as a negative catalyst for Tesla, with some recent articles making the case for a short sale.
- This article questions the materiality of this development to Tesla's earnings and whether selling Tesla short is a good bet.
The Hepatitis C Price War Begins: Gilead Plays To Win By Signing With CVS
- A Duopoly has been established in the lucrative Hepatitis C space, with Gilead and AbbVie each vying for market share.
- Earlier this week CVS announced that Gilead's Sovaldi and Harvoni will be the exclusive options for patients with Hepatitis C.
- This strategic move by Gilead capitalizes on key synergies with CVS, while reframing the debate away from singular focus on price.
- A more nuanced cost-benefit analysis considering both price and patient well-being favors Gilead's best in class medications: Gilead now has the upper hand.
The Oil Collapse: White Swan Or Black Swan?
- The price of oil and other commodities have collapsed over the past six months.
- The last cycle of monetary policy tightening unleashed a black swan as the housing market collapsed.
- Is the crash in oil yet another black swan? Or perhaps a white one.
Epirus Biopharma: A High Risk/High Reward Biosimilar Investment
- Biosimilar drugs have huge growth potential in the coming years.
- Epirus Biopharma is an intriguing pure-play biosimilar investment.
- Recent approval for Epirus' BOW015 Remicade biosimilar, may portend substantial upside.
- The likely value of BOW015 makes Epirus a compelling high risk/high reward investment.
Gilead Feels The Heat Of Competition
- As expected, AbbVie has received approval for its Viekira Pak hepatitis C combination.
- AbbVie surprised the market by undercutting rival Gilead on price.
- As a result, Express Scripts is dropping Gilead's Harvoni from its National Preferred Formulary.
Be Careful With Gilead - It May Be Time To Take Profits
- Gilead is a wonderful company trading at a reasonable valuation.
- Yet Gilead's explosive growth has created extremely lofty expectations.
- Last quarter's results were disappointing - the stock has considerable downside if earnings continue to disappoint.
- This article examines the bear case for Gilead - high growth companies are always risky.
The Next Time You Evaluate A Stock Consider The Return At Constant Valuation
- Valuations of individual stocks vary far more than the businesses they represent.
- Yet, valuation is an inescapable part of total return.
- Predicting changes in valuation is at best difficult and at worst a fool's errand.
- Evaluating potential investments at constant valuation may change how attractive they appear.
Legacy Reserves: The Time To Accumulate Is Now
- Master Limited Partnerships (MLPs) have sold off in the recent market correction.
- Oil has also sold off, creating a double blow particularly among upstream MLPs.
- For investors comfortable with the risks and hungry for yield, Legacy Reserves appears to offer an attractive entry point.
What Bull Market? The Dow Jones Industrial Average Is Flat Since 2007...
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average is a bellwether index.
- While the price weighted Dow Jones is less meaningful than the market-cap weighted S&P 500, analysis is simplified by the smaller number of companies.
- Due to a declining number of shares available, investors may be overestimating the run-up in prices that has occurred during the present bull market.
- The market cap adjusted Dow Jones Industrial Average is no higher today than at the crest of the 2007 bull market when adjusted for inflation.
- Is A 30% Return In 2013 A Good Reason To Sell Your Stocks?
- Buy Parexel International On Increasing Pharmaceutical Contract-Research Spending
- Codexis Incorporated: A Strong Biopharma Turnaround Play
- Deep Risk Or Shallow Risk: Should Investors Choose Stocks Or Bonds?
- Year-End 2013: An Average Bull Market Year
- Hospira Incorporated: Unappreciated Upside Due To A Promising Biosimilar Pipeline
- Dude Where's My Taper?
- Tetraphase Pharmaceuticals: A Compelling High-Risk / High-Reward Biotech Investment
- Is The Recent Sell-Off In Closed-End Funds A Buying Opportunity?
- Is The Threat Of Rising Interest Rates A Reason To Avoid Dividend Growth Stocks?
- 5 Reasons To Tune Out The Noise And Do Nothing
- It Is Time To Sell (Not So) High Yielding Bonds
- The S&P 500 Is Approaching A Buy Signal
- What Can The Kentucky Derby Teach Us About The Stock Market?
- What Return Should Investors Expect From The Market In The Next 10 Years?
- The Downside Of Buying Stocks On Sale Through Selling Puts
- PIMCO's Dynamic Income Fund Is A Buy