Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    gmmpa,

I love CEO Alan R Mulally (did you know he's retiring?) and will be tuned in to the shareholders meeting on Thursday to get more insight. While I won't get into the political aspects of things, Ford is a good company and I like them very much, with a great recovery story. Unfortunately with headwinds abroad they will have a lot of trouble with their struggling share price.
    May 9, 2012. 08:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    cbroncos,

You do you homework! That's great and you are right. Ford's China numbers were okay last quarter, however their tiny market share over there makes it not as relevant compared to the presence in Europe. With more and more European headwinds, and a possible recession ahead Ford could post losses in the EU for quite some time.

Addressing the traders vs investors comment. I did mention if you're building a long-term portfolio, Ford is a company that could be in there. I just don't see share prices having an easy ride in 2012.
    May 9, 2012. 08:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    TUNGFU,

While I was sure some would think that, admitting you are wrong is perfectly fine, and something you must do when you are active in the market. I put that there to show that I am human, and make mistakes just like everyone else. I am more of a trader than an investor, and use options to do most of my trades. Had I not gotten out I'd be at a near 100% loss.
    That being said, I am not forecasting doom and gloom on Ford. I am simply pointing out that until the global economic mess gets cleaned up, Ford is going to be stuck in the mud.
    May 9, 2012. 08:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    jcirafic,

Now, I can't speak for bob, but there are a few ways to accomplish this. If you simply are looking to buy Ford and add on dips you can sell covered calls against your position for every 100 shares you own. This strategy uses options for a source of income while shares are stagnant. They are a great piece to have if you can amass enough share share to write calls, since they act as a nice extra "dividend."

I hope that helps, I can go into further detail if you'd like!
    May 9, 2012. 08:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Relatively Safe Earnings Trade On Barrick Gold [View article]
    Well I mean seriously. the commenting on here is outrageous sometimes. It's like a joke. "My wife and I have a life, we have no desire to be traders." Okay....what are you even doing reading this trade then? Well good for you and your wife, take you and your life over to the "dividends and income" tab, and have a life there. The site is made for a plethora of users. Traders, Investors, CC's, I mean everything you can think of.
    Rocco did a piece the other day, just to demonstrate AAPL bulls and their wild emotions. It's ridiculous.
    May 1, 2012. 10:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Relatively Safe Earnings Trade On Barrick Gold [View article]
    Sorry if I'm missing most of your point here.. You don't need to be an expert to put on earnings trade. He's a trader, not an investor. It seems as though everyone on SA has a problem with people writing articles about trades, but it's all good if its an article about investing. More than 1 way to make money in the stock market.

SA can be a joke. IF the trade goes right, no one praises you for being a genius, or compliments your move. but if you're wrong, oh god forbid you're wrong, you will get chastised by everyone on here. I for one would rather have him (as well as some others) write out their trades, if you act on it, and lose, it's your fault.
    May 1, 2012. 10:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Relatively Safe Earnings Trade On Barrick Gold [View article]
    Hey guys,

Have you ever written an article?? Albeit, yes it is nearing it's 52-week low, but its quite the easy miss, even when you're reading it back to yourself. Because Kev wrote 52-high instead of 52-week low, doesn't take away from the fact that he's one hell of an options trader. One of the best on SA, in my opinion. He got the last two trades wrong? Okay, well get back to me when you, or anyone else you know is shooting 100% on the year. Don't agree with the trade? Don't play it.
    May 1, 2012. 10:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another Bearish, Short-Term Options Trade On Coca-Cola [View article]
    Okay guys,

Just another update, it was later announced from Coke that they are not currently interested in acquiring Monster (MNST). Here is the direct comment:

"Coca-Cola has a distribution relationship with Monster in many markets, including the United States. Therefore, we are always in contact with Monster to maximize the value of our commercial arrangements. At this time, we are not in discussions to acquire the Monster Beverage Corporation. We continue to review the best ways to maximize the value of our relationship."

I am now also short Coca-Cola via long June puts.
    Apr 30, 2012. 04:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another Bearish, Short-Term Options Trade On Coca-Cola [View article]
    While this bearish trade is setting up based on technicals, it is important to note that an acquisition of Monster, MNST could set the stock to continue this rally. Caveat Emptor, as investing always go.
    Apr 30, 2012. 02:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Potential Short Trade In F5 Networks [View article]
    Jeff,

Ya know, typically I do my best to do ignore the flagrantly written insults thrown my way from articles. No one says, and I make that point clear in the article, that $140 is not set in stone, nor is the bearish trade. FROM the looks of it, it will meet some resistance in the $140 price area. ONCE it is there I will LOOK to see about setting up a short position. Here is a quote FROM THE ARTICLE to reaffirm what I just said to you:

"Keep in mind that even though F5 is setting up as a bearish trade for the near future, this does not mean it will actually be a good trade on the short side. I can only write and talk about what I see, and what I see today may not be relevant three days from now."

Also Jeff, the puts in KO were highly effective should you have gone along with the trade and exited upon its multi-percentage drop. If you'd be so kind to pull up a chart of KO in the last month, you will see the very drop I am talking about. Have fun at your day job.

Thank you for the comment.

Bret
    Apr 30, 2012. 08:41 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Telecoms That Could Plummet On Cash Flow Issues [View article]
    stock manipulation? Hardly. This isn't Jim Cramer writing these articles, or David Einhorn. Some random trader/investor/author on SA does not have enough influence to move any stock in any significant manner. Unless someone loads the gun to buy 50,000 shares of a stock that does less than a half million shares a day, there will be no manipulation. While some articles are poor, and others great, that isn't to say SA as a whole is a joke. If it were a complete joke you wouldn't be on here long enough to write a response. Go read your Motley Fool if that's how you feel. Some articles end up being right, some end up wrong, but if you blindly take the advice of an article your read, by a person you don't know, you shouldn't be investing.
    Apr 27, 2012. 02:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford Stock Price: Deal Of The Decade? [View article]
    berbno1,

I like Ford, and I really, really, want them to do good. I just cannot find a near term catalyst. I mean right now, currently, things are considered slow, but "good" to many looking at the overall macro picture. But what if it gets bad/worse, which is pretty dang likely if you ask me. What happens to Ford's stalled sales in Europe and Asia then? I just think one's money can be put to better use somewhere else for now.
    Apr 27, 2012. 01:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford Stock Price: Deal Of The Decade? [View article]
    Oops! didn't mean to click on "like." Anyway, woulda, coulda, shoulda, is always there. David Einhorn, famous hedgefund manager once said his biggest regret (investing wise) was buying Apple at 14, and selling it at 18...at the time, good little run. But in hindsight....well you know !!
    Apr 27, 2012. 01:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford Stock Price: Deal Of The Decade? [View article]
    Shaun,

Let me start by saying that F is a great company, because of many of the reasons you listed above. Ford is one heck of a story, and an amazing turn around. especially with the $1 to $18 we saw last year. However, they're going to have such slow growth over the next year I'd say because of the global macro issues. Asia and Europe are really stunting sales and not allowing Ford to move on. I'm not sure your time frame for F, but I can't see any real catalysts moving forward for 6-12 months, at least. Not just in Ford, but in the Autos in general.
    Apr 27, 2012. 12:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank Earnings Disappoint Bullish ETF Options Traders [View article]
    This is all very interesting, however isn't it rather irrelevant? Unless this is stating that further optimism remains in the financial sector, I don't see how the above info is still important. Traders were bullish JPM and WFC reports, and they were clearly wrong. After the earnings beat, both sold off, along with the entire sector. Perhaps I'm missing the point, but only GS, MS and BAC are really left to report, of the banking titans, and none are mentioned here.
    Apr 16, 2012. 01:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment