Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
  • After Recent Selling, Microsoft Is A Buy [View article]
    Chubby.
    It's funny you say that. I was thinking of several acquisitions as well. One that seems fairly reasonable would be Twitter. They are trying to break into the social media aspect of things. Why start your own website up against Google+ (which isn't doing very well) and Facebook? When you could just buy out Twitter? seems like a good way to get 500 or 600 million users to me?

What are your thoughts?

Bret
    May 24, 2012. 09:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Recent Selling, Microsoft Is A Buy [View article]
    Hey guys,

Let me start by thanking all of you for the comments.. Nice to see some back and forth here. I realize to IndustryThinker's point that Microsoft may not be the leader in some categories. Some ventures may not turn out too successful.

But so far Windows 8 is getting some great reviews and people are actually raving about their new phone. I feel like with these, plus their Xbox, plus their social media, plus everything else they're doing, is creating more value for their shareholders.

With a 2.75% yield, and likely an increase coming, MSFT is not only a value play but a good way to get growth as well. This is likely a name you can stash away in your portfolio and see very nice gains from, both in yield and in growth.

I think where they can seem some of the most growth will be in cloud. I wanted to put cloud in this article as well, but thought it may take up too much, so I will have a separate article out about that soon. Hopefully before the end of the weekend.

Thanks for reading and keep on commenting! Good-buy and good luck!

Bret
    May 24, 2012. 08:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Euro-Proof Portfolio: Part I [View article]
    Kristian,

I can see how that would seem contradicting. By more diversity I meant, I wanted my money spread out in more than 3 or 4 names. These are just a few that stacked up really well last fall.

Thanks for commenting,

Bret
    May 21, 2012. 08:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    No problem jfcirfac,

I hope the position works out for you, truly. I know of some people with a large enough bankroll to hold about 1000 shares of a security. Then they can sell covered calls at different points. Like some in June, some in July with a higher strike, and some in August with an even higher one!

You need a pretty decent sized account to do something like this, obviously, but just an example of how you can create supplemental income via covered calls. email/message me if you have any further questions about it!

Good luck and happy trading! Cheers,

Bret
    May 18, 2012. 02:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell In May And ... Buy Again? [View article]
    Yes, I log daily, but have changed my perspective a bit. I am much more active in the market than I used to be. I used to strictly channel trade (and still do plenty of it, for swing trading is pretty profitable). But with a higher trading frequency, one must stay on top of their performance daily, to see what to do differently, better entries, better exits, etc. etc.
    I actually am neutral as of now. I was holding some longs in quality names, but since we broke through so much support I have been neutral for quite a few S&P handles now.
    However! I am out shopping now, looking at the names listed above in my disclosure, and looking at MSFT, COST, T.
    I want some safe, quality, dividend paying names if I'm going to hold in the face of this Euro mess. Trading is a different game than investing, so when investing you have to choose your names more carefully.
    May 18, 2012. 12:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell In May And ... Buy Again? [View article]
    NorthHills,

Channel trading can be very, very profitable. One reason it's great is because when it breaks down or breaks out, you know that's it. Get out of your position. If it stays within its range, then all is good!
    It sounds like you have it sorted out pretty well, in terms of how to use divy's for income and what not, and it can do a great job for supplementing income.
    As for stop limits...all you need to do is be stopped out on a gap down/gap up and you'll probably never use them again! :) stop limits can be very important.

I too make a list. I log my trades daily, each one with a "comments" section. This way at the end of the day, I know WHY I got into something, IF I held it to my target price, IF (and I better have) honored my stop, WHY I exited the position.

All it can do is help, and logging trades and logging your performance is how you get better, and you can ALWAYS get better when trading the markets!

Bret
    May 18, 2012. 10:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell In May And ... Buy Again? [View article]
    NorthHills,

I just checked them out...great diversity! Higher yielders, growth stocks, value plays...literally have them all. Nicely done. And if you were buying during those times, I'm sure you made a killing on a lot of your positions, in not all of them! Dividends can be/are a lifesaver. Especially over the long term, with the ability to use DRIPs, you can really compound your shares and use the "snowball effect" to accrue one's wealth.

You don't need to catch the bottom to make a killing, as I'm sure you already know, and there's always the "shoulda, coulda, woulda!" The key is moving on. Right now I am working on a portfolio for people who get sick from all the volatility. I SHOULD have it out this weekend, but is taking me longer than I thought to accomplish.

Over several article I have seen your commenting and appreciate your insight. The reason I tell you about my article on the way, is because I hope to gather some more insight from you over there. Hope to see you there as well, and again, thanks for commenting!

Happy Trading,

Bret
    May 18, 2012. 08:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell In May And ... Buy Again? [View article]
    Lancyjay,

Totally agree! Am I saying there is no more downside left and we're saved? Not in the least. But if you are not completely over loaded with longs right now (I hope one isn't, but the truth is I know many are), around this level is a good place to add or start positions IMO. Markets are due to bounce soon, so traders can take advantage, and investors have a good spot to add here with the S&P off more than 100 points in less than a month.

Thanks for commenting! Happy Trading !
    May 18, 2012. 08:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell In May And ... Buy Again? [View article]
    A fellow trader it sounds like. Glad to hear from you and good luck!

Thanks for commenting.
    May 18, 2012. 08:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    cino,

Analysts are always late to the game and are pointless IMHO. Sort of like rating agencies in a way...In 2008 when they had subprime mortgage bonds rated AAA, when they all happened to be toxic and be the cause over the financial crisis.

An analyst company is much the same. They'll have sell signals calling for the rising stock to come back to "fair value." Then, near the top they upgrade, after the stocks up 25% or something, and it's like "okay, thanks. You basically told me what they did!" I hate targets too ;)

Thanks for commenting.
    May 18, 2012. 08:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell In May And ... Buy Again? [View article]
    Northhills24,

Thank you very much for your kind words! And yes, many are at that standstill as well; on whether to dive or not.

I would advise in not diving all in, but perhaps, building a starter position. Of your three, I would most likely buy MCD. I would buy probably a half position, (so if you were aiming for 100 shares, I would do maybe get 50). and then add on any further large dips, 25 here, 25 there.

SBUX is a great growth story, but has a bit of a higher PE ratio. I love, love, love this stock and everything depends solely on your financial and investing objectives. If things get really ugly you could see them squeezed for more, but SBUX @ $50, I like too. They have great growth in China, and I think they'll do great.

Again, I can't make suggestions for anyone, but I like these names with starter positions only.

Good luck and happy trading !
    May 17, 2012. 06:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell In May And ... Buy Again? [View article]
    Jeremy,

Either one of those things will send this market soaring...most likely. Still, not a bad price area to begin accumulating.
    May 17, 2012. 06:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell In May And ... Buy Again? [View article]
    BlueOkie,

Yes, sell in May is a common saying for that reason, and I am not denying any falsification there within. Also, I don't want anyone to think I'm saying go gung-ho on the market, margin out your account long, cross your fingers, and hope for the best. I'm just saying, if you're on the sidelines, right now is a good area to accumulate.
    May 17, 2012. 06:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell In May And ... Buy Again? [View article]
    444,
    many people aren't even in the markets anymore from precisely this thinking! They just get crushed, swamped, and steamrolled. Say hell to the bankers and stuff their savings into the mattress.

In 10 years adding a little here and a little there will do wonders down the road. Hang in there :)

Thanks for commenting.
    May 17, 2012. 06:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Short Term Turmoil Lies Ahead [View instapost]
    I originally anticipated a fall down to $550, and perhaps further, as stated above. Currently AAPL is trading 535 a share. With a high around 640, it is trading nearly 100 off the highs. I am not promoting or gloating, or anything of the sort.

Just simply coming back on here to say, here, at these levels, with AAPL and the S&P beaten the way it is, I think a starter position in AAPL is warranted. Perhaps half of your intended position. With another quarter of your intended position to be added at 500, should AAPL reach that low. Should the markets completely fall apart, I would also add near 200-day sma, just about 450.

Good luck to all in, or looking to get into AAPL, and happy trading.
    May 17, 2012. 12:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment