Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
  • A Relatively Safe Earnings Trade On Barrick Gold [View article]
    Sorry if I'm missing most of your point here.. You don't need to be an expert to put on earnings trade. He's a trader, not an investor. It seems as though everyone on SA has a problem with people writing articles about trades, but it's all good if its an article about investing. More than 1 way to make money in the stock market.

SA can be a joke. IF the trade goes right, no one praises you for being a genius, or compliments your move. but if you're wrong, oh god forbid you're wrong, you will get chastised by everyone on here. I for one would rather have him (as well as some others) write out their trades, if you act on it, and lose, it's your fault.
    May 1 10:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Relatively Safe Earnings Trade On Barrick Gold [View article]
    Hey guys,

Have you ever written an article?? Albeit, yes it is nearing it's 52-week low, but its quite the easy miss, even when you're reading it back to yourself. Because Kev wrote 52-high instead of 52-week low, doesn't take away from the fact that he's one hell of an options trader. One of the best on SA, in my opinion. He got the last two trades wrong? Okay, well get back to me when you, or anyone else you know is shooting 100% on the year. Don't agree with the trade? Don't play it.
    May 1 10:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another Bearish, Short-Term Options Trade On Coca-Cola [View article]
    Okay guys,

Just another update, it was later announced from Coke that they are not currently interested in acquiring Monster (MNST). Here is the direct comment:

"Coca-Cola has a distribution relationship with Monster in many markets, including the United States. Therefore, we are always in contact with Monster to maximize the value of our commercial arrangements. At this time, we are not in discussions to acquire the Monster Beverage Corporation. We continue to review the best ways to maximize the value of our relationship."

I am now also short Coca-Cola via long June puts.
    Apr 30 04:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another Bearish, Short-Term Options Trade On Coca-Cola [View article]
    While this bearish trade is setting up based on technicals, it is important to note that an acquisition of Monster, MNST could set the stock to continue this rally. Caveat Emptor, as investing always go.
    Apr 30 02:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Potential Short Trade In F5 Networks [View article]
    Jeff,

Ya know, typically I do my best to do ignore the flagrantly written insults thrown my way from articles. No one says, and I make that point clear in the article, that $140 is not set in stone, nor is the bearish trade. FROM the looks of it, it will meet some resistance in the $140 price area. ONCE it is there I will LOOK to see about setting up a short position. Here is a quote FROM THE ARTICLE to reaffirm what I just said to you:

"Keep in mind that even though F5 is setting up as a bearish trade for the near future, this does not mean it will actually be a good trade on the short side. I can only write and talk about what I see, and what I see today may not be relevant three days from now."

Also Jeff, the puts in KO were highly effective should you have gone along with the trade and exited upon its multi-percentage drop. If you'd be so kind to pull up a chart of KO in the last month, you will see the very drop I am talking about. Have fun at your day job.

Thank you for the comment.

Bret
    Apr 30 08:41 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Telecoms That Could Plummet On Cash Flow Issues [View article]
    stock manipulation? Hardly. This isn't Jim Cramer writing these articles, or David Einhorn. Some random trader/investor/author on SA does not have enough influence to move any stock in any significant manner. Unless someone loads the gun to buy 50,000 shares of a stock that does less than a half million shares a day, there will be no manipulation. While some articles are poor, and others great, that isn't to say SA as a whole is a joke. If it were a complete joke you wouldn't be on here long enough to write a response. Go read your Motley Fool if that's how you feel. Some articles end up being right, some end up wrong, but if you blindly take the advice of an article your read, by a person you don't know, you shouldn't be investing.
    Apr 27 02:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford Stock Price: Deal Of The Decade? [View article]
    berbno1,

I like Ford, and I really, really, want them to do good. I just cannot find a near term catalyst. I mean right now, currently, things are considered slow, but "good" to many looking at the overall macro picture. But what if it gets bad/worse, which is pretty dang likely if you ask me. What happens to Ford's stalled sales in Europe and Asia then? I just think one's money can be put to better use somewhere else for now.
    Apr 27 01:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford Stock Price: Deal Of The Decade? [View article]
    Oops! didn't mean to click on "like." Anyway, woulda, coulda, shoulda, is always there. David Einhorn, famous hedgefund manager once said his biggest regret (investing wise) was buying Apple at 14, and selling it at 18...at the time, good little run. But in hindsight....well you know !!
    Apr 27 01:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford Stock Price: Deal Of The Decade? [View article]
    Shaun,

Let me start by saying that F is a great company, because of many of the reasons you listed above. Ford is one heck of a story, and an amazing turn around. especially with the $1 to $18 we saw last year. However, they're going to have such slow growth over the next year I'd say because of the global macro issues. Asia and Europe are really stunting sales and not allowing Ford to move on. I'm not sure your time frame for F, but I can't see any real catalysts moving forward for 6-12 months, at least. Not just in Ford, but in the Autos in general.
    Apr 27 12:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank Earnings Disappoint Bullish ETF Options Traders [View article]
    This is all very interesting, however isn't it rather irrelevant? Unless this is stating that further optimism remains in the financial sector, I don't see how the above info is still important. Traders were bullish JPM and WFC reports, and they were clearly wrong. After the earnings beat, both sold off, along with the entire sector. Perhaps I'm missing the point, but only GS, MS and BAC are really left to report, of the banking titans, and none are mentioned here.
    Apr 16 01:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Broadcom: Another Fail At Resistance? [View article]
    Wes,

Today I have done extensive research trying to answer your question of this sale. There has been a lot of stock/options awards as of late (last year or so). This man is very wealthy, even owns the NHL team, Anaheim Ducks. He has been very active in the exercise of options, followed by the sale of stock. However, he still owns 245,712 shares. As of April 2nd. He has also been involved in SEC investigations dating back to 2007 and 2008 for stock/option related activity, you can investigate further if you indeed want to know more.

In this specific case it appears he exercised option and converted class B stock to class A. It appears he hovers in the 250,000 share range, while continuously exercises stock/options to stay in that range.
    Apr 12 12:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Broadcom: Another Fail At Resistance? [View article]
    Wes,

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I agree that usually you don't like to see insiders selling. However, there are plenty of exceptions. I'm not familiar with this current situation, but let's say he had a lock up period (ex. 3 years, 5 years, etc.) and now he is able to sell, that would make sense to see these guys dumping a bunch of shares into the market. For example, some of the exec's from Apple had a lock up period, including the CEO Tim Cook, which recently expired, and he sold a ton of shares as well, even though the upside in their company is pretty obvious.

So, sometimes there is a reason and sometimes not. Usually you don't like to see it, but it all depends. I'll look into it and see if I can find the actual answer, however do keep in mind I was suggesting a trade in BRCM, not an investment. Though I am a believer in the company.

Bret
    Apr 10 03:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Potash Trade Update [View article]
    Tiger, I can see how that seems contradicting. I have long underlying stock, while trade it using options. When I first began, I was investing in the company. Over time I learned its price action and movement fairly well, so I trade it as well. Thank you for the comment, and pointing that out.

Happy Trading.
    Mar 29 04:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Potash Trade Update [View article]
    So far in the Pre market Potash is not even down a percent. I'm sure no one would come out here had Mosaic had a great earnings and blew everyone away. There was a very bearish outlook on the sector not too long ago, but my honest, humble opinion would be that the Ag sector is picking up. I think through this summer things will pick up--as well as prices/demand for potash (the product). Who knows..only time will tell and we will have to see. I like POT's long term prospects.
    Mar 29 09:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Broadcom: Another Fail At Resistance? [View article]
    DuncanK1,

Yes, BRCM has clearly made its push over $38 evident. Though has failed to really run away with it. It hasn't taken on as much momentum as other related names, and it is clearly lagging QCOM, which is doing great these last few weeks. It seems as though BRCM hasn't decisively chosen a direction as of yet, IMO.
    Mar 27 12:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment