Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    Spawn,

I know my title is negative, as well as my near term opinion on Ford. Maybe I'm wrong, but if you re-read the article you will see that I do agree with a lot of what you said, and specifically state Europe is the "bump in the road." But that doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of other stocks without those bumps in front of them, where you can put your money to work in the short term.
    May 9, 2012. 12:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    Haha Pete ! Here I am ya know trading all day with these comments coming up about how I'm "getting back at Ford" and "making excuses!" It's like c'mon guys are you serious!? Who does that. But yes, I know have to keep them at bay and block it out, just want the ones who aren't commenting, but just reading, to know the truth is all. And thank you for your comments, both of them.
    May 9, 2012. 12:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    Just to take it one step further I was out of all positions Ford related on 4/25/2012. It has been exactly two weeks since then, and two weeks since this article was published. Had I been bitter I would have written it much closer to that date.

I was neutral on Ford before earnings, went through the report, re-assessed the company and my opinion on it, and wrote an article on what I felt was true with Ford.

This will be my last comment (I hope) pertaining to the "bitter, sore loser" response from the SA users who just clearly haven't got a clue. If you read this whole article and that's all you get from it, then man, I feel really sorry for you. Good luck.
    May 9, 2012. 10:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    Okay. Just to clear this up once and for all, you are not fit to be in the market AT ALL if you let one trade stick with you for more than .5 seconds after you exit it. I got in, Ford began to roll over, and I got out. Small pinch, nothing close to being "burned" or a "sore loser." Let me know when 100% of your trades go your way big shot.

I'm not a bitter enough person to go through the effort of WRITING AN ARTICLE from losing on ONE trade. Do I write an article for all my trades that go right...? It is okay to prove you're human, which is why I put that in the beginning. I suppose I should know better than to assume everyone on SA is sophisticated enough to justify that.
    May 9, 2012. 10:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    Bill,

Don't disagree. I never once stated that Ford was flawed from the inside out, but rather has their global exposure weighing them down. A $2 cost basis, good for you! You can wait it out then, and you sound like a long term investor, which Ford will be good for then. I am just trying to help those who are thinking of getting in now and turning a quick buck--not likely gonna happen.

As for agreeing TungFu, I am not a "sore loser" at Ford. Okay, so I had a losing trade. Those happen, you cut with them and they are gone instantly. You move on. I would not be "angry at Ford," angry enough to write an entire article about them, that is for sure. I've made my fair share of money with Ford where one bad trade is not enough to make me "forecast doom and gloom."

If one is actually active in the market, one small trade would not ruin them or curse them. If it does, well they probably won't last long. This article is completely unbiased to that trade, for what it's worth, but you can believe whatever you want.
    May 9, 2012. 09:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    While buying good companies holds up in good times and bad, Ford isn't necessarily one that "holds up." In '08 it traded for $1. Granted that was the financial crisis and the automakers were folding up. But even last year when it was trading at $9, that was off 50% from its high THAT year!
    No offense, but there are better companies to buy during good times and especially bad times. Particularly dividend paying, blue chip stocks typically do better. (Your KO, MCD, PG, JNJ, etc.)
    May 9, 2012. 08:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    gmmpa,

I love CEO Alan R Mulally (did you know he's retiring?) and will be tuned in to the shareholders meeting on Thursday to get more insight. While I won't get into the political aspects of things, Ford is a good company and I like them very much, with a great recovery story. Unfortunately with headwinds abroad they will have a lot of trouble with their struggling share price.
    May 9, 2012. 08:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    cbroncos,

You do you homework! That's great and you are right. Ford's China numbers were okay last quarter, however their tiny market share over there makes it not as relevant compared to the presence in Europe. With more and more European headwinds, and a possible recession ahead Ford could post losses in the EU for quite some time.

Addressing the traders vs investors comment. I did mention if you're building a long-term portfolio, Ford is a company that could be in there. I just don't see share prices having an easy ride in 2012.
    May 9, 2012. 08:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    TUNGFU,

While I was sure some would think that, admitting you are wrong is perfectly fine, and something you must do when you are active in the market. I put that there to show that I am human, and make mistakes just like everyone else. I am more of a trader than an investor, and use options to do most of my trades. Had I not gotten out I'd be at a near 100% loss.
    That being said, I am not forecasting doom and gloom on Ford. I am simply pointing out that until the global economic mess gets cleaned up, Ford is going to be stuck in the mud.
    May 9, 2012. 08:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    jcirafic,

Now, I can't speak for bob, but there are a few ways to accomplish this. If you simply are looking to buy Ford and add on dips you can sell covered calls against your position for every 100 shares you own. This strategy uses options for a source of income while shares are stagnant. They are a great piece to have if you can amass enough share share to write calls, since they act as a nice extra "dividend."

I hope that helps, I can go into further detail if you'd like!
    May 9, 2012. 08:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Relatively Safe Earnings Trade On Barrick Gold [View article]
    Well I mean seriously. the commenting on here is outrageous sometimes. It's like a joke. "My wife and I have a life, we have no desire to be traders." Okay....what are you even doing reading this trade then? Well good for you and your wife, take you and your life over to the "dividends and income" tab, and have a life there. The site is made for a plethora of users. Traders, Investors, CC's, I mean everything you can think of.
    Rocco did a piece the other day, just to demonstrate AAPL bulls and their wild emotions. It's ridiculous.
    May 1, 2012. 10:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Relatively Safe Earnings Trade On Barrick Gold [View article]
    Sorry if I'm missing most of your point here.. You don't need to be an expert to put on earnings trade. He's a trader, not an investor. It seems as though everyone on SA has a problem with people writing articles about trades, but it's all good if its an article about investing. More than 1 way to make money in the stock market.

SA can be a joke. IF the trade goes right, no one praises you for being a genius, or compliments your move. but if you're wrong, oh god forbid you're wrong, you will get chastised by everyone on here. I for one would rather have him (as well as some others) write out their trades, if you act on it, and lose, it's your fault.
    May 1, 2012. 10:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Relatively Safe Earnings Trade On Barrick Gold [View article]
    Hey guys,

Have you ever written an article?? Albeit, yes it is nearing it's 52-week low, but its quite the easy miss, even when you're reading it back to yourself. Because Kev wrote 52-high instead of 52-week low, doesn't take away from the fact that he's one hell of an options trader. One of the best on SA, in my opinion. He got the last two trades wrong? Okay, well get back to me when you, or anyone else you know is shooting 100% on the year. Don't agree with the trade? Don't play it.
    May 1, 2012. 10:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another Bearish, Short-Term Options Trade On Coca-Cola [View article]
    Okay guys,

Just another update, it was later announced from Coke that they are not currently interested in acquiring Monster (MNST). Here is the direct comment:

"Coca-Cola has a distribution relationship with Monster in many markets, including the United States. Therefore, we are always in contact with Monster to maximize the value of our commercial arrangements. At this time, we are not in discussions to acquire the Monster Beverage Corporation. We continue to review the best ways to maximize the value of our relationship."

I am now also short Coca-Cola via long June puts.
    Apr 30, 2012. 04:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another Bearish, Short-Term Options Trade On Coca-Cola [View article]
    While this bearish trade is setting up based on technicals, it is important to note that an acquisition of Monster, MNST could set the stock to continue this rally. Caveat Emptor, as investing always go.
    Apr 30, 2012. 02:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment