Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why I Bought Apple At $460.68 And Why I Expect To Make Money On It [View article]
    Christopher,

I love options and I'm sure many readers here do as well. If you don't mind, could you elaborate on this?

Much appreciated,

Bret
    Feb 6 09:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hey Murph,

That's a fair window for estimating. I think the big problem is the chips that they need. Qualcomm is working on them, but some analysts don't expect them to be ready until second half 2013.

Thanks for the input!

Bret
    Feb 6 09:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hey Guys, thanks for the comments. I think Cook is less "dominating" than Jobs was. While this is both a blessing and a curse, I think it is a blessing in the CHL deal because Cook is more likely to get a deal worked out, without haggling over details that would potential ruin the deal by squeezing every penny out of CHL.

I believe the main problem is the chip. But as we speak Qualcomm is making a chip that will work for iPhones in China -- I believe. So hopefully this coupled with Cook's down to earth-ness, will be able to get a deal worked out.
    Feb 6 09:35 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: After The Pullback, Should You Hold 'Em Or Fold 'Em? [View article]
    Frogola, would have to agree. I sold a large chunk of my position @ 13.85-ish and have began adding to it again, first at 12.75. I am at about 2/3 of the original position, but won't likely get as overweight as when I did in the $10 range. It doesn't have the same risk : reward.

But I agree with you! Long Ford!

-Bret
    Feb 5 04:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: After The Pullback, Should You Hold 'Em Or Fold 'Em? [View article]
    Hey cbroncos --

Thank you very much for pointing this out. Yes, I meant the Ford Fusion!! Appreciate you catching that.

-Bret
    Feb 5 04:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's Or Yum: Which Belongs In Your Wallet? [View article]
    Kolpin,

I have not had a chance to look through the conference call, but at these levels, with some 'back of the envelope' number crunching, I think a long-term position would be good @ 60.

MCD and YUM are too excellent long-term hold. McDonald's is more fundamentally solid, while Yum! has good growth prospects. I might start looking at a position too!
    Feb 5 02:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nike: Does The Shoe Still Fit Growth Investors? [View article]
    Thanks Phillip. Honestly, I like to start writing these articles, and do the numbers as I write. That way, it's like I truly am forming my opinion as I go and try and keep a none biased approach.

Before the article, I thought Nike would fit nicely as a growth stock for me. Like you, I have UA stuff/gear but Nike is a beast in the space. How could they not be growing? Well, they are. Just not at the rate that I'd like to see.

I have no doubts it will do well over the long-term for many people. But it just doesn't fit my needs. I either want growth stocks or core stocks. Maybe some middle ground like DIS, one of my hybrid stocks that have a little core and growth mixed together.

-Bret
    Feb 1 10:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Disney: Has The Mouse Outgrown The House? [View article]
    Thanks Joe. Am almost hoping for a drop after earnings, so I can get more a little lower. Appreciate the compliment!

Bret

P.S....Wish I bought @ 28 last fall. Bummer eh?
    Jan 24 09:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coca-Cola: Is The Dividend Still Secure? [View article]
    My thought here is that Coke is a conservative dividend payer. They did not rush back in to juice up the dividend and are likely just playing it safe. They do not want to raise the dividend and either,

A. cut it, or

B. be burdened by it in hard times.

I think that once global market recover some, and show signs of life, Coke will look to to raise the divvy at a more aggressive rate.

Thanks again for the comment(s) chowder!

Bret
    Jan 24 09:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coca-Cola: Is The Dividend Still Secure? [View article]
    Hey Chowder,

Thanks for the suggestion. I write articles on longer-term outlooks more often (since that's what is really focused on and pushed on the contributors from SA) so I will take your suggestion seriously. Especially when looking at a 3 year chart, I can see where this would help, visually anyways.

Thanks for the comment and suggestion!

Bret
    Jan 24 09:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coca-Cola: Is The Dividend Still Secure? [View article]
    Hey dividend Garden. Sorry for the confusion -- I hope more people did not misinterpret it.

What I meant was, a company WITH a high payout ratio (unlike Coke) would be able to pay lofty dividends if EPS took a hit. Unfortunately, EPS does have a lot do with companies and its dividend, at least when you analyze the payout ratio.

But since Coke has such a low payout ratio, about 50%, there is little reason to believe the dividend would ever be in jeopardy.

Thanks for the comment,

Bret

Jan 24 09:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's (MCD +0.6%) could put in an ugly couple of quarters as it heads into tough comparables, warns RetailGeeks. The group sees revenue slipping 0.3% Y/Y for McDonald's during Q4 with restaurant margins lower in the U.S. and global divisions. [View news story]
    A year's worth of selling would be nice. Couldn't imagine how happy I'd be in 2030, knowing I bought MCD on a 25% pullback for rising commodity costs.
    Jan 22 02:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hopefully so, that way I can get more!!
    Jan 22 01:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Disney: Has The Mouse Outgrown The House? [View article]
    Wow, nice timing on the buy. Wish I could say the same, but better now than never I suppose.

I too feel that it is 'extended' but the growth sort of justifies the run. Like we've both said, I love Disney for the growth and the fundamentals. It's a solid company WITH growth. You don't find that hybrid combo very often.

Thanks for comment & kudos for the great entry!!

Bret
    Jan 18 11:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Where Do Shareholders Go From Here? [View article]
    My thoughts are this, how many Apple bears were calling the top? Probably none (or few), at least with their own wallets. Now that Apple has actually fallen -- a lot -- they're all over.

Like I said, sentiment is negative everywhere you look. I think Apple recovers from this. I wrote about that last week. But with a crack of $500, the charts look pitiful. I wouldn't sell, I wouldn't add (unless it's at maybe $450 or lower) until the earnings report/conference call.

Appreciate the comments!