Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Starbucks beats by $0.01, beats on revenue [View news story]
    Yep. And it's only going to get better as the company continue to expand in 2H. and then laps this year's figures where there was no Mobile Order. This puppy has legs.

Schultz will get market cap to $100B.
    Jul 23, 2015. 05:23 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Starbucks beats by $0.01, beats on revenue [View news story]
    Same -- own all 3 + MA -- call them my Future Blue Chip holdings. Continue to churn out money and growth, despite being 'overvalued.'
    Jul 23, 2015. 05:06 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • General Motors beats by $0.21, misses on revenue [View news story]
    I don't want to say that revenues don't matter, but this thing is very cheap on a PE basis, so its big EPS beat is important. I still stand by the belief that at the end of fiscal 2015, this stock can be north of $40 if it indeed earns more than $4 per share and trades at just 10x earnings. We'll see.

Right now we'll have to wait for the conference call and get some insight into China. Sentiment on this name is dreadful.
    Jul 23, 2015. 07:50 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Do You Mean You Don't Own Apple?  [View instapost]
    What kind of investor are you? Meaning, what's your time horizon? 6 weeks, 6 months, 6 years, etc.
    Jul 22, 2015. 09:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why General Motors Is Worth A Shot Near $30 [View article]
    I agree on all points here. Sentiment is terrible and it's weighing on the stock, while the business is still in good shape. Thanks for your comment, Rohit SSS.
    Jul 13, 2015. 08:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why General Motors Is Worth A Shot Near $30 [View article]
    Could say that for any stock, but that doesn't mean it'll get there. I'd rather buy Apple at $90 or $100, but I'll probably never get the chance to, you know?
    Jul 10, 2015. 03:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why General Motors Is Worth A Shot Near $30 [View article]
    Sentiment in GM has been incredibly bearish -- especially in the media. This one's been pummeled without question. It's also a lot cheaper than its main competitor, Ford.

Greatest company on earth? No. But it is turning things around, its valuation is low, it has a good buyback and its 4.2% dividend yield is a better bet than most bonds. You get the upside of the stock and a nice payout to wait.
    Jul 10, 2015. 01:41 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Alcoa Is Undervalued [View article]
    As production of the F-150 picks up, this should help AA too. GM will adopt similar lightweighting measures in the future, which will also be a boost for AA. Although -- I could be wrong -- but I believe GM will also use another company as its supplier.

Automotive showed huge growth for AA and it's definitely an exciting business, even if the stock price has been anything but.
    Jul 10, 2015. 09:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Short Disney: Horrendously Expensive And Misunderstood [View article]
    Great view, Humphr47. I agree.
    Jul 9, 2015. 01:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Short Disney: Horrendously Expensive And Misunderstood [View article]
    Here's what I'd say to this thorough article:

1. You raise a lot of great points and, not to push it back too hard, but you say early on: "quality companies rarely go on a fire sale."

Well, Disney IS one of those quality companies. There are literally so many other names that could be sold short, but I have to disagree that DIS is one of them. Yes, I am a DIS shareholder and have been for a while, but that doesn't mean I don't view things objectively. The valuation continues to climb, but so do its future growth catalysts.

That's not to say a 10% or 20% correction can't happen -- it can literally happen to any stock for very little reason, especially depending on the overall market.

And you're right, the stock will not fall to your fair value range of $54 to $67.60.

Here's where I stand: Value investors may want to forgo Disney as an investment the way I might forgo many deep discount stocks. But for long-term shareholders, it can easily prove too difficult to pick the right spots to sell and the right spots to get back in by trying to be nimble.

Look at yourself for example. When you sold in the $80s, I'm sure you thought you could get it cheaper and here it is at $115. I did the same thing with Apple, bought in $50s sold in $80s to $90s and here it is at $125.

I just think for the LT investor, they are better suited by holding or simply not buying when valuations get stretched. Rather than trying to flip in and out -- and short -- the stock.

DIS is one of this market's 'do-no-wrong' stocks and suggesting it as a short is nothing short of a roadmap to getting squashed, IMHO. At least your suggestion comes with options, which while you can lose all of the premium, at least limits one's risk.

That's my 2c. Thank you for the article. Take care.
    Jul 9, 2015. 12:43 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kinder Morgan Inc.: Buy Now For 10% Upside In 1 Month, And Possibly More [View article]
    Greg -

I too think interest rates are causing investors to sell high yield assets, like REITs and MLPs, for examples. But really, for the token 25 basis point hike, selling these things off 8-10% really is overkill, considering the Fed will likely keep rates relatively low, like you said.

-Bret
    Jul 6, 2015. 11:56 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fitbit up 4.7% on bullish RBC launch [View news story]
    Also BlueDevil, he's probably basing some of that on the company's most recent quarter of results, which show yoy revenue gains of 209%. pretty impressive.
    Jun 30, 2015. 05:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Bought A Fitbit, Buy Fitbit? [View article]
    "for a company whose margins have to be getting squeezed as it pushes through a market with total demand that may not exceed 100 million units."

I'm pretty sure Q1 margins (the latest results) actually expanded YOY, while rev and NI growth improved as well. Just something to consider.
    Jun 22, 2015. 10:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • After A 50% Day One Gain, Fitbit Is A Screaming Buy [View article]
    Sounds like a lot of people only think one company can win in this market, but I think it's big enough and growing fast enough, that more than one player can be involved (think AT&T and Verizon; Ford and GM; Apple and Android).

The Fitbit and AW are priced very differently too. Given this size of this rapidly growing market, I think both can do well.

I'm not sure that 200% revenue growth will be the case this year for FIT, but if it is, look out, this baby's going higher. Even below that figure, say 100% growth is still pretty insane and I think that warrants a higher valuation, especially given that FIT is profitable.
    Jun 19, 2015. 01:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Market May Hate Ford And GM, But You Don't Have To [View article]
    From a shareholder's perspective, it's certainly frustrating to see a new event continually causing these companies' significant sums of money. So far, 2015 is looking to be okay, with exception of the anticipated hit from the DOJ against GM.

I guess we'll see how it plays out this year, but so far, it's looking good.

Thanks for commenting!