Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Starbucks: Wait For Lower Entry Price After Earnings Announcement [View article]
    Gotcha. I would say near current levels, the stock is fairly to fully valued, depending which metrics you use.

I would consider a pullback to the low-$70s a gift and where I would be buying my position. But that's just me, because I think it's plausible shares will be undervalued, but not deeply undervalued any time soon. (FD: Long SBUX)
    Jul 29, 2014. 10:52 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    A pullback would be nice, yes. But the third quarter was gangbusters and the fourth quarter will do well too. Fiscal 2015 guidance was still in the previous range of 15% to 20%, albeit, on the lower end.

Still, if earnings were to grow at the very low end of that range, 15%, it would not be reason enough for 15% to 20% pullback in these stock.

I am all for patience and buying on dips. But something of that magnitude would need to coincide with an overall market correction. SBUX is flat on the year, and has already gone through its pullback in the first six months of 2014.

A few percent maybe, but sub-$70 levels, barring a large market correction, I just don't see it. We didn't even get to $66 in the latest pullback, and sentiment was MUCH worse then, than it likely will be for SBUX anytime in the near future.

Just my 2c.
    Jul 29, 2014. 10:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Starbucks testing mobile ordering system [View news story]
    I may be wrong about what SBUX is doing, but PNRA has a similar online ordering app. I believe NDLS does too. I think, unless SBUX has something extremely proprietary about its own, will have trouble licensing the platform. Just my thoughts
    Jul 18, 2014. 01:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Bears Can't Walk And Chew Gum, Stock Heading To $700 [View article]
    I'm not sure what the P/E would have been, nor do I care enough to find out. All I know is that this guy put his price target over $400, or ~55%, above Apple's all-time high of 703-ish.

Not only that -- and I may be completely wrong here -- but I believe his cutesy $777 price target has been around for ages.

For me, that's all I need to see for him to lose all credibility.
    May 28, 2014. 05:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Bears Can't Walk And Chew Gum, Stock Heading To $700 [View article]
    Richard,

In Blair's defense, Brian White has never been, shall we say, a pro at calling Apple's future price. Remember $1,111?

Nice piece though!

Cheers,

-Bret
    May 28, 2014. 01:26 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buying Yahoo Here Is A No-Brainer [View article]
    Matt, I think you're missing Bret's point.

Even on the low end of the range, even at $115b -- which doesn't seem right given the estimates around $150b or so -- YHOO's position in Alibaba is almost equal to its own market cap as of now.

I think it has everyone sort of scratching their head, trying to figure it out.

Either the market is nervous about the IPO and is mis-pricing YHOO, or it doesn't think the valuation will turn out to be that high.

And there's no reason to focus on Jenson saying he's not a buyer of Alibaba, considering the article is on YHOO.
    May 17, 2014. 12:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla completes its own Cannonball Run [View news story]
    Man, that is seriously awesome.
    Jan 26, 2014. 09:54 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Starbucks' Dividend Still A Rocket Ship? [View article]
    With no disrespect intended, look at the last paragraph you wrote. THESE are the reasons people are buying SBUX.

Because it is a high quality, global growth BRAND, that continues to fuel higher.

Look at its multiple. People are buying this name for its growth; not the dividend.
    Dec 31, 2013. 06:28 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Is NOT Worthless [View article]
    I will admit that Chen is 50000000000000 times better than Thorsten Heins...He deserved nothing from BBRY, yet was paid millions.
    Dec 19, 2013. 05:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Is NOT Worthless [View article]
    This is of course, a joke, correct? The market did not simply punish the company for its inability to sell its excess handsets.

It punished BBRY because it failed to adapt. It sat back, thinking it would be king of the smartphone era, with its keyboard. It whiffed 100% on the tablet and once users left the handset maker in droves to AAPL, GOOG and Samsung, it was all but over for BBRY.

They weren't coming back then, aren't coming back now, and won't be coming back in the future.

BBM is a worthless, money-less piece of crap. As worthless as 3/4 of the execs in the board room. BBM will get them nowhere, and these "long-term shareholders" you speak of -- assuming any are left aside from Balsillie -- have gotten killed on this stock and now you recommend they buy more.

The company is hemorrhaging money left and right they can hardly stand afloat. You RECOMMEND that investors buy a stock, that any big tech company could pick up for what they would consider pocket change when BBRY announced it was for sale for months on end?

They didn't step forward, why should mom and pop?

I'm not saying it's going to zero, but it has no forward catalysts other than "it's not worthless." In a bull market like this, one where the spoo returned almost 30%, why would you choose BBRY?
    Dec 19, 2013. 04:10 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3D Systems Is Overvalued At Current Price Levels [View article]
    That's how it is for most stock though -- "On the other hand, companies in rapidly growing sector can have longer periods of inflated stock price due to the positive news."

Rapidly growing companies don't trade with fair market valuation and nor should they. V and MA are some of the 'cheaper' growth stocks one could own, but investor sentiment often times trumps traditional valuation metrics.

One day the overvaluation thesis may play out, but for everyone considering a short, just look at how long AMZN has been 'overvalued.' stocks can stay elevated for far longer than most assume.
    Dec 6, 2013. 08:58 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple pares early gains as SocGen cuts shares to Hold [View news story]
    I agree, it should* mean something. But it doesn't. This guy -- and any other for that matter -- just spew words and predictions out like a drunken sports fan.

If they're way off, ahhh who cares. They were drunk, right?

If they're right, they're some sort of disciple from the gods.

Bottom line: If these guys were right just 60 or 70% of the time, then there is room for error. We're all humans. But for Wall Street to salivate over the B.S. "reports" from these fools is just ridiculous.
    Sep 23, 2013. 04:52 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple pares early gains as SocGen cuts shares to Hold [View news story]
    Who cares what these imbeciles think. They have literally been wrong for years on Apple.

Couldn't figure it out when they were crushing sales/EPS qtr after qtr. Chased it higher and higher, upgrading it at the high, and then downgraded AFTER it crashed.

Now the stock is bouncing around, as it ran higher more upgrades. After the 5S/5C, more downgrades, with 7.5mm devices sold as the highest, most optimistic guess for the opening weekend.

Wrong. 9 mil.

This genius, Gene Munster's target was off by about 80%...Real solid, man.

Why don't these losers just pack up their bags and leave the stock alone. What does SocGen know anyways.
    Sep 23, 2013. 12:33 PM | 26 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Potash Corp: Relax, Everything Will Be Just Fine [View article]
    Great article. Really appreciate the insight. POT catching a solid bid in the pre-market too!
    Aug 26, 2013. 09:09 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The silver (or gold) lining in Marc Faber's gloomy prediction [View news story]
    Yeah. About as spot on as Ackman this year.

"Umm....stocks are gonna crash"

(6 years later)

"See!? Told ya so!"

By the way, I believe this was from the "Fast Money" segment on CNBC on Friday. Faber didn't call a 20% correction a 'crash' but rather, a 90% fall.

Yep, 90% folks.

I'll be buying the S&P 500 at 170 then I guess, as no one will ever retire.
    Aug 10, 2013. 01:30 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment