Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
  • McDonald's Or Yum: Which Belongs In Your Wallet? [View article]
    Kolpin,

I have not had a chance to look through the conference call, but at these levels, with some 'back of the envelope' number crunching, I think a long-term position would be good @ 60.

MCD and YUM are too excellent long-term hold. McDonald's is more fundamentally solid, while Yum! has good growth prospects. I might start looking at a position too!
    Feb 5 02:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nike: Does The Shoe Still Fit Growth Investors? [View article]
    Thanks Phillip. Honestly, I like to start writing these articles, and do the numbers as I write. That way, it's like I truly am forming my opinion as I go and try and keep a none biased approach.

Before the article, I thought Nike would fit nicely as a growth stock for me. Like you, I have UA stuff/gear but Nike is a beast in the space. How could they not be growing? Well, they are. Just not at the rate that I'd like to see.

I have no doubts it will do well over the long-term for many people. But it just doesn't fit my needs. I either want growth stocks or core stocks. Maybe some middle ground like DIS, one of my hybrid stocks that have a little core and growth mixed together.

-Bret
    Feb 1 10:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Disney: Has The Mouse Outgrown The House? [View article]
    Thanks Joe. Am almost hoping for a drop after earnings, so I can get more a little lower. Appreciate the compliment!

Bret

P.S....Wish I bought @ 28 last fall. Bummer eh?
    Jan 24 09:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coca-Cola: Is The Dividend Still Secure? [View article]
    My thought here is that Coke is a conservative dividend payer. They did not rush back in to juice up the dividend and are likely just playing it safe. They do not want to raise the dividend and either,

A. cut it, or

B. be burdened by it in hard times.

I think that once global market recover some, and show signs of life, Coke will look to to raise the divvy at a more aggressive rate.

Thanks again for the comment(s) chowder!

Bret
    Jan 24 09:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coca-Cola: Is The Dividend Still Secure? [View article]
    Hey Chowder,

Thanks for the suggestion. I write articles on longer-term outlooks more often (since that's what is really focused on and pushed on the contributors from SA) so I will take your suggestion seriously. Especially when looking at a 3 year chart, I can see where this would help, visually anyways.

Thanks for the comment and suggestion!

Bret
    Jan 24 09:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coca-Cola: Is The Dividend Still Secure? [View article]
    Hey dividend Garden. Sorry for the confusion -- I hope more people did not misinterpret it.

What I meant was, a company WITH a high payout ratio (unlike Coke) would be able to pay lofty dividends if EPS took a hit. Unfortunately, EPS does have a lot do with companies and its dividend, at least when you analyze the payout ratio.

But since Coke has such a low payout ratio, about 50%, there is little reason to believe the dividend would ever be in jeopardy.

Thanks for the comment,

Bret

Jan 24 09:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's (MCD +0.6%) could put in an ugly couple of quarters as it heads into tough comparables, warns RetailGeeks. The group sees revenue slipping 0.3% Y/Y for McDonald's during Q4 with restaurant margins lower in the U.S. and global divisions. [View news story]
    A year's worth of selling would be nice. Couldn't imagine how happy I'd be in 2030, knowing I bought MCD on a 25% pullback for rising commodity costs.
    Jan 22 02:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hopefully so, that way I can get more!!
    Jan 22 01:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Disney: Has The Mouse Outgrown The House? [View article]
    Wow, nice timing on the buy. Wish I could say the same, but better now than never I suppose.

I too feel that it is 'extended' but the growth sort of justifies the run. Like we've both said, I love Disney for the growth and the fundamentals. It's a solid company WITH growth. You don't find that hybrid combo very often.

Thanks for comment & kudos for the great entry!!

Bret
    Jan 18 11:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Where Do Shareholders Go From Here? [View article]
    My thoughts are this, how many Apple bears were calling the top? Probably none (or few), at least with their own wallets. Now that Apple has actually fallen -- a lot -- they're all over.

Like I said, sentiment is negative everywhere you look. I think Apple recovers from this. I wrote about that last week. But with a crack of $500, the charts look pitiful. I wouldn't sell, I wouldn't add (unless it's at maybe $450 or lower) until the earnings report/conference call.

Appreciate the comments!

Bret
    Jan 17 01:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Where Do Shareholders Go From Here? [View article]
    Agree Skippy. I posted a reply to someone's comment who must have removed it. But essentially he viewed my article as bearish.

I wouldn't say it's full on bullish, but it certainly is slightly bullish. I would wait for the earnings report to see what's really going on. But I think Apple has a ton a potential when (not if) a deal gets done with China Mobile.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see why the Chinese wouldn't want the iPhone, as many seem to suggest -- for whatever reason.

Thanks for the comment,

Bret
    Jan 17 01:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Where Do Shareholders Go From Here? [View article]
    GRJ,

I think you are misinterpreting the article. I think it would be unwise to sell Apple at these levels. If demand is shriveling and Apple is not as appealing to consumers as it once was, then I would sell the stock. If it is simply have supply trouble due to other factors, then I would certainly hold on to this stock.

My suggestion was to neither buy OR sell the stock, but rather, hold it. Apple has made so many people so much money over the past several years that I think it has earned the right to explain itself. It has earned the benefit of the doubt.

My suggestion is to hold the stock through earnings. Listen to the conference call. I repeat, LISTEN TO THE CONFERENCE CALL. You'll find everything you need from that alone, regardless of a top or bottom line miss.

Management will tell you what's going on. If demand is falling, if orders are slow, if they are doing well, doing poor. You will find out in this call and know whether to buy, hold or sell your shares. If no one wants the product, I'd sell. If demand is strong (and I suspect it still is) but supply was the issue, I would buy.

That's just me personally, but hey, everyone's different. My advice is not to sell the fear and loathing.

Hope this helps clarify things. I hope the article does not strike others the same way it struck you.

Bret
    Jan 17 12:47 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Don't Give Up On The Fast Food King [View article]
    LT, very true. Blue chippers rarely give options sellers a lot to work with. I just wanted to throw the info out there, in case you hadn't heard that before. Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

Bret
    Jan 16 03:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Don't Give Up On The Fast Food King [View article]
    mking30,

Nice input! I agree. It's amazing what money can become when buying stock early. I like to diversify my holdings, but definitely have a "core" section with stocks like MCD or KO that aren't going anywhere any time soon. If something does change, we can always sell, but I'm with you. Let me MCD have it so I can buy HOF -- Hand Over Fist.

Bret
    Jan 16 12:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Don't Give Up On The Fast Food King [View article]
    Hey LaughingTrader,

I really, really like selling puts, especially to gain assignment. I think it is one of the better ways to get your shares (most of the time). You seem to know what you're doing, so don't take this as an 'insult' or petty advice, but it's best to sell options with 30-45 days left.

Again, don't take it the wrong way, but it's typically the best way to do so. You just get the most 'bang for your buck' in terms of time decay. That's all.

If you do have questions, I'd love to help :)

Thanks for the comment and I agree with your strategy!

Bret