Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple: Where Do Shareholders Go From Here? [View article]
    Agree Skippy. I posted a reply to someone's comment who must have removed it. But essentially he viewed my article as bearish.

I wouldn't say it's full on bullish, but it certainly is slightly bullish. I would wait for the earnings report to see what's really going on. But I think Apple has a ton a potential when (not if) a deal gets done with China Mobile.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see why the Chinese wouldn't want the iPhone, as many seem to suggest -- for whatever reason.

Thanks for the comment,

Bret
    Jan 17 01:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Where Do Shareholders Go From Here? [View article]
    GRJ,

I think you are misinterpreting the article. I think it would be unwise to sell Apple at these levels. If demand is shriveling and Apple is not as appealing to consumers as it once was, then I would sell the stock. If it is simply have supply trouble due to other factors, then I would certainly hold on to this stock.

My suggestion was to neither buy OR sell the stock, but rather, hold it. Apple has made so many people so much money over the past several years that I think it has earned the right to explain itself. It has earned the benefit of the doubt.

My suggestion is to hold the stock through earnings. Listen to the conference call. I repeat, LISTEN TO THE CONFERENCE CALL. You'll find everything you need from that alone, regardless of a top or bottom line miss.

Management will tell you what's going on. If demand is falling, if orders are slow, if they are doing well, doing poor. You will find out in this call and know whether to buy, hold or sell your shares. If no one wants the product, I'd sell. If demand is strong (and I suspect it still is) but supply was the issue, I would buy.

That's just me personally, but hey, everyone's different. My advice is not to sell the fear and loathing.

Hope this helps clarify things. I hope the article does not strike others the same way it struck you.

Bret
    Jan 17 12:47 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Don't Give Up On The Fast Food King [View article]
    LT, very true. Blue chippers rarely give options sellers a lot to work with. I just wanted to throw the info out there, in case you hadn't heard that before. Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

Bret
    Jan 16 03:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Don't Give Up On The Fast Food King [View article]
    mking30,

Nice input! I agree. It's amazing what money can become when buying stock early. I like to diversify my holdings, but definitely have a "core" section with stocks like MCD or KO that aren't going anywhere any time soon. If something does change, we can always sell, but I'm with you. Let me MCD have it so I can buy HOF -- Hand Over Fist.

Bret
    Jan 16 12:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Don't Give Up On The Fast Food King [View article]
    Hey LaughingTrader,

I really, really like selling puts, especially to gain assignment. I think it is one of the better ways to get your shares (most of the time). You seem to know what you're doing, so don't take this as an 'insult' or petty advice, but it's best to sell options with 30-45 days left.

Again, don't take it the wrong way, but it's typically the best way to do so. You just get the most 'bang for your buck' in terms of time decay. That's all.

If you do have questions, I'd love to help :)

Thanks for the comment and I agree with your strategy!

Bret
    Jan 16 10:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Don't Give Up On The Fast Food King [View article]
    dqj,

I haven't thought about that too much, but it is definitely a possibility. I don't know how well consumers would adapt to it though. McDonald's will have to hedge those beef prices!

Bret
    Jan 16 09:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Growth Portfolio For Today's Markets And Beyond [View article]
    bjrad,

AAPL is a tough one. For the record, I really like KORS, but don't have a position yet. It's volatile, but I believe in it.

AAPL is technically broken. The stock is negative and can't seem to find a good thing going for it. I have no long-term position in Apple but am slightly bullish, at least at these levels. I will wait until the earnings to decide what to do.

If they beat, they will rally and I'd rather buy after a $50 run on good news than have a position down $50/share on bad news. If they don't sell enough iPhones, well, then it'll really matter on WHY they didn't.

Was it supply chain issues or demand? Supply chain would be fine and the stock will sell off on this news. Probably well into the low/mid $400's. I would be a buyer at this stage. If demand is low and is the key driver behind low sales #'s then this is a huge red flag and you'd have to wait for an appropriate support level to step in.

At some point amidst the selling, Apple is too cheap to ignore. The key is finding that level. I will be waiting until the conf. call to decide whether or not I will be an AAPL shareholder in 2013.
    Jan 15 04:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • eBay: Is The Growth Real? [View article]
    To be honest, my go to is Amazon. They just have everything and it is just so easy.

For me, I just like the ease of use in things. Amazon makes ordering things simple. eBay's PayPal makes paying with things easy. For me, I use PayPal for payment between other people -- not so much merchants.

So a couple of times a month I receive (or give) payments to the other people for varying reasons, and this works out very well. Again, it's just so easy!

I think if they can expand on this (and hopefully they will) then it will continue to surge in growth. I definitely think they can and will. Thoughts?

Thanks for the comment!

Bret
    Jan 14 11:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Growth Portfolio For Today's Markets And Beyond [View article]
    Hey bjrad,

I appreciate the follow! I will have to take a look at the names you provided, but I'm glad you were able to contribute some!

I really like when the comment section can have constructive discussions, as it helps everyone. The writer, the readers, the less experienced investor. All around, just helpful. Sometimes it does get out of hand though.

I don't really take a hard look at stocks with or without a lot of liquidity. Generally, I look at stocks that have been able to consistently generate large growth numbers. They will have high valuations (P/E in the 20's or 30's) but because of the high growth numbers, this is justified.

I mean, you can see above that Visa has a market cap of $85 billion while Panera only has a market cap of $4.5 billion, so it really does depend on the growth.

Some other names I have or am considering are Nike (NKE) or Michael Kors (KORS). Does this help answer the question, or not so much? Honesty appreciated!

Bret
    Jan 14 11:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Growth Portfolio For Today's Markets And Beyond [View article]
    Personally, I do like Starbucks, but more of the specialty drinks, rather than the coffee. Typically though, I don't go there much (or any other coffee place for that matter).

The thing is though, they have INCREDIBLE brand recognition. I'm not sure if you checked out the link that directly talks about SBUX, but it's a symbol. It's an icon. Heck, I even know people have kept their SBUX cup and put THEIR own coffee in it...for the status!

"Cool" people have SBUX. "Rich" people have SBUX. It's a status and something that people are willing to pay for to have. That's why I want that stock!

Thanks for the kind words Tas, I appreciate the comment!

Bret
    Jan 14 10:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Growth Portfolio For Today's Markets And Beyond [View article]
    How about to the $SAG fund? Haha. But I know I know..I have rolled into some long-term positions focusing on growth. These are some of the names that I really like. I also really like Madison Square Gardens (MSG), but I think its trading a little rich to what it should be.

I really like Panera too. I think they have a great long-term outlook. I'm also thinking about Nike (NKE) but don't a position in that either. My next few articles will focus on my core/hybrid section...names like MCD, DIS and KO.

Thanks for the comment Joe! And seriously, we need a SAG etf ! haha :)
    Jan 14 10:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Panera Bread Company: Is The Growth Sustainable? [View article]
    haha 99.9/.1 sound good. You 99.9 of course ;)
    Jan 11 01:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Panera Bread Company: Is The Growth Sustainable? [View article]
    Hey Joe,

I agree that I think PNRA has great potential. For me, I pick my stocks and add to them on a rather continuous basis. I'm looking for the long-term, so it won't likely have much of an effect on me, except for a good cost basis! If things get real bad (short-term) I'll just suspend the regular buying and look for favorable dips instead.

BTW, I'm working on a piece you'll probably like, based on some of the stocks you have mentioned or have a position in!
    Jan 11 12:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Panera Bread Company: Is The Growth Sustainable? [View article]
    Hey Bret,

Thanks for kind words and the input. Panera doesn't look very strong in the short-term and the points in that article are quite legit. However, I do think Panera will be an excellent investment over the long-term, even if it experiences short-term weakness.

I also like MCD on a value basis, which was also mentioned in the article. I'm not sure how low/high it will or could go, but I think the brand recognition is great and that it is a solid long-term core position with a good yield. What are your thoughts -- longer-term -- despite the short-term headwinds?

Bret
    Jan 11 12:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Visa Or MasterCard: Which One Belongs In Your Wallet? [View article]
    haha oh man...better just shut off the computer and sit in hole for 2013. Maybe sip on some SAM while the gains are still there! :) Good luck! Duck and cover from the GS artillery strikes!
    Jan 11 10:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment