Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Panera Bread Company: Is The Growth Sustainable? [View article]
    Thanks stu. Kind of reminds of my Noodles selection...if you have ever heard of them. Really tasty and quickly made pasta restaurant. Small chain, but good variety. They also seem quite popular.

Perhaps PNRA can take some of this market share by eventually expanding its pasta selections. Thanks for the news clip, I appreciate it!

Bret
    Feb 7, 2013. 02:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Apple At $460.68 And Why I Expect To Make Money On It [View article]
    I feel ya, Murph. Ive essentially created a lot of these products, although sometimes Jobs would be the one taking credit. Even before Jobs had passed, I think Apple was already onto their next big thing.

With Jobs and Ive there, they had the right ideas (hopefully) and without Jobs, hopefully Ive, Cook and the rest of the crew can put the finishing touches on it. Long Apple.

Bret
    Feb 7, 2013. 09:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    And will be really in ITM at the open, should these pre-market gains hold :)

Nice work,

Bret
    Feb 7, 2013. 09:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Huh, that is interesting. Thanks for both replying and going into detail. I'll give this is a shot, seems interesting. A lot of volume for high priced stocks like GOOG, AMZN, AAPL, and PCLN lies within the derivatives market. IE: options.

Thanks again,

Bret
    Feb 6, 2013. 11:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shares of GameStop (GME -10.5%) crumble with speculation over next-generation systems hurting the company's resale business tipping sentiment. If future consoles feature games fully connected to the Internet with no value beyond initial purchase, GameStop's revenue could suffer. [View news story]
    Could suffer? Could? GME's revenue would be crushed. decimated. In the short-term it would weigh on them, but it's that 3-5 year time frame that will kill them.

People will still trade and buy xbox 360 and ps3 games in the year or two that follow a new console release. Beyond that though, it's all about the new system.
    Feb 6, 2013. 09:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    sheldond...bing! Bing! Bing! You got it my friend!

Is growth slowing? Sure, it's right there in the numbers. But did Apple just sell 47 MILLION iPhones and 22 MILLLION iPads last quarter?!

Yes! The growth is slowing and I magnified that in the article. But just because a car is going 200 mph and is now going 180 mph, doesn't mean it is slow, just because it has SLOWED down.

I think it's foolish to be unloaded shares in this level. Completely foolish. Between the cash on hand, future products/markets and the deeply undervalued state of Apple, I'm certainly a buyer.

It's a case of lower-risk, higher-reward. Appreciate the alien-oriented comment :)

Bret
    Feb 6, 2013. 09:42 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Christopher,

I love options and I'm sure many readers here do as well. If you don't mind, could you elaborate on this?

Much appreciated,

Bret
    Feb 6, 2013. 09:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hey Murph,

That's a fair window for estimating. I think the big problem is the chips that they need. Qualcomm is working on them, but some analysts don't expect them to be ready until second half 2013.

Thanks for the input!

Bret
    Feb 6, 2013. 09:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hey Guys, thanks for the comments. I think Cook is less "dominating" than Jobs was. While this is both a blessing and a curse, I think it is a blessing in the CHL deal because Cook is more likely to get a deal worked out, without haggling over details that would potential ruin the deal by squeezing every penny out of CHL.

I believe the main problem is the chip. But as we speak Qualcomm is making a chip that will work for iPhones in China -- I believe. So hopefully this coupled with Cook's down to earth-ness, will be able to get a deal worked out.
    Feb 6, 2013. 09:35 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: After The Pullback, Should You Hold 'Em Or Fold 'Em? [View article]
    Frogola, would have to agree. I sold a large chunk of my position @ 13.85-ish and have began adding to it again, first at 12.75. I am at about 2/3 of the original position, but won't likely get as overweight as when I did in the $10 range. It doesn't have the same risk : reward.

But I agree with you! Long Ford!

-Bret
    Feb 5, 2013. 04:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: After The Pullback, Should You Hold 'Em Or Fold 'Em? [View article]
    Hey cbroncos --

Thank you very much for pointing this out. Yes, I meant the Ford Fusion!! Appreciate you catching that.

-Bret
    Feb 5, 2013. 04:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's Or Yum: Which Belongs In Your Wallet? [View article]
    Kolpin,

I have not had a chance to look through the conference call, but at these levels, with some 'back of the envelope' number crunching, I think a long-term position would be good @ 60.

MCD and YUM are too excellent long-term hold. McDonald's is more fundamentally solid, while Yum! has good growth prospects. I might start looking at a position too!
    Feb 5, 2013. 02:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nike: Does The Shoe Still Fit Growth Investors? [View article]
    Thanks Phillip. Honestly, I like to start writing these articles, and do the numbers as I write. That way, it's like I truly am forming my opinion as I go and try and keep a none biased approach.

Before the article, I thought Nike would fit nicely as a growth stock for me. Like you, I have UA stuff/gear but Nike is a beast in the space. How could they not be growing? Well, they are. Just not at the rate that I'd like to see.

I have no doubts it will do well over the long-term for many people. But it just doesn't fit my needs. I either want growth stocks or core stocks. Maybe some middle ground like DIS, one of my hybrid stocks that have a little core and growth mixed together.

-Bret
    Feb 1, 2013. 10:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Disney: Has The Mouse Outgrown The House? [View article]
    Thanks Joe. Am almost hoping for a drop after earnings, so I can get more a little lower. Appreciate the compliment!

Bret

P.S....Wish I bought @ 28 last fall. Bummer eh?
    Jan 24, 2013. 09:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coca-Cola: Is The Dividend Still Secure? [View article]
    My thought here is that Coke is a conservative dividend payer. They did not rush back in to juice up the dividend and are likely just playing it safe. They do not want to raise the dividend and either,

A. cut it, or

B. be burdened by it in hard times.

I think that once global market recover some, and show signs of life, Coke will look to to raise the divvy at a more aggressive rate.

Thanks again for the comment(s) chowder!

Bret