Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • How Much Does It Cost To Produce One Barrel Of Oil? (Tight Oil, Part III) [View article]
    Like Total Return Investor said, he's a college student and unlikely to have the financial firepower to step in and buy much more than gas, books and tuition.

I for one appreciate his insight and research, especially since I'm no energy expert. Thanks for the article, Christoph.
    Dec 24, 2014. 09:05 AM | 29 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple pares early gains as SocGen cuts shares to Hold [View news story]
    Who cares what these imbeciles think. They have literally been wrong for years on Apple.

Couldn't figure it out when they were crushing sales/EPS qtr after qtr. Chased it higher and higher, upgrading it at the high, and then downgraded AFTER it crashed.

Now the stock is bouncing around, as it ran higher more upgrades. After the 5S/5C, more downgrades, with 7.5mm devices sold as the highest, most optimistic guess for the opening weekend.

Wrong. 9 mil.

This genius, Gene Munster's target was off by about 80%...Real solid, man.

Why don't these losers just pack up their bags and leave the stock alone. What does SocGen know anyways.
    Sep 23, 2013. 12:33 PM | 26 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Investing In Tesla? [View article]
    It's grammar. ;-)
    Jun 24, 2013. 09:00 AM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Investing In Tesla? [View article]
    Whether Tesla's fate has yet to be determined or not, Elon Musk is a rather spectacular person. With Tesla, SpaceX, Solar City and PayPal, the guy is definitely bent on changing the world for the good and that's someone that we certainly need.

With that being said, this comment section has already vastly surpassed what this article contains in useful information. The only usable information that has been provided is the market cap.
    Jun 24, 2013. 09:14 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3D Systems Is Overvalued At Current Price Levels [View article]
    That's how it is for most stock though -- "On the other hand, companies in rapidly growing sector can have longer periods of inflated stock price due to the positive news."

Rapidly growing companies don't trade with fair market valuation and nor should they. V and MA are some of the 'cheaper' growth stocks one could own, but investor sentiment often times trumps traditional valuation metrics.

One day the overvaluation thesis may play out, but for everyone considering a short, just look at how long AMZN has been 'overvalued.' stocks can stay elevated for far longer than most assume.
    Dec 6, 2013. 08:58 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Be Long Apple Without Buying Apple [View article]
    That's an interesting comment UbeenFranked. Actually, that's incorrect. Seeking Alpha has paid me for this article, and I have recommended an index. You've even contributed to me being paid. $.01 to be exact.

Thank you for such valuable input however. It has really added to the comment section by helping, educating, and enhancing the readers' experience :)

I'll even leave your comment 'Abuse-free' to show the ignorance of your comment. Maybe we exchange follows?
    Nov 29, 2012. 12:51 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks: Did A New Bull Market Begin On Monday? [View article]
    Everyone always raises this point, paper vs. physical. If the world comes to end, will it really matter? I mean actually, will it matter? I feel as though, obviously depending on your purposes, GLD and SLV are perfectly fine trading vehicles.

If you're investing for years and years in gold or silver, or use it for "end of the world insurance" (because in a true "end of the world" scenario, it'll really comes down to whether you invested in GLD or physical gold bullion....come on) then sure, buy the gold outright.

But if you're just trading it, even with time frames of more than a year, why not trade GLD? It's easier, cheaper and more convenient.
    Nov 21, 2012. 10:22 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla completes its own Cannonball Run [View news story]
    Man, that is seriously awesome.
    Jan 26, 2014. 09:54 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The silver (or gold) lining in Marc Faber's gloomy prediction [View news story]
    Yeah. About as spot on as Ackman this year.

"Umm....stocks are gonna crash"

(6 years later)

"See!? Told ya so!"

By the way, I believe this was from the "Fast Money" segment on CNBC on Friday. Faber didn't call a 20% correction a 'crash' but rather, a 90% fall.

Yep, 90% folks.

I'll be buying the S&P 500 at 170 then I guess, as no one will ever retire.
    Aug 10, 2013. 01:30 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • You Can Absolutely, Positively, Retire Early... Maybe [View article]
    Reminds me of the saying,

'A goal without a plan is just a wish.'

Fitting for this article. Thanks for writing.

-Bk
    Feb 27, 2015. 01:45 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • There's No Reason To Buy Procter & Gamble Right Now [View article]
    Hello to those with early comments!

I agree that PG is fabulous company, without question. I want to own this one, I really do. And hopefully, I will get my chance.

But I just see to many headwinds in the way right now, and so does management, it seems. Given its premium valuation, I will wait and (hopefully) buy the stock at or below $80.

Thanks for reading!
    Feb 6, 2015. 11:22 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yahoo Will Spin Off Alibaba, But Is There Still Money To Be Made? [View article]
    FCARONE --

Your opinion isn't alone; many shareholders have a similar view toward management. I can understand that type of frustration, especially over the long-term.

Since I am not long time shareholders, I do not share those same feels though. The core business is not seeing reaccelerated growth and the YJ stake is still a question mark.

The company performed accelerated buybacks throughout the quarter, which was their form of some capital return for shareholders.

However, the BABA spinoff being completed in a tax-free manner is THE most important thing right now for this company, IMHO. The difference between paying full taxes versus no taxes is enormous, something like $15 billion off the top of my head. That's roughly equivalent to $15 per share!

My views don't necessarily align with what management is doing. it has more to do with how its assets are being valued. In a perfect world, the stock would trade based on what its assets are being valued at at any given time. They do not, hence what I consider a buying opportunity.

But I do hear you on some of those disappointments. I look forward to your other comments explaining them in more detail!

-Bret
    Jan 28, 2015. 12:08 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • General Electric Reports On Friday: Let's Analyze It [View article]
    Great cash flow analysis right here and nice article on GE. Spelled out very nicely.

Others should consider saving this piece as a nice CF and FCF template to analyze other stocks with.

Thanks for the work!

-Bret
    Jan 21, 2015. 11:47 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Bears Can't Walk And Chew Gum, Stock Heading To $700 [View article]
    Richard,

In Blair's defense, Brian White has never been, shall we say, a pro at calling Apple's future price. Remember $1,111?

Nice piece though!

Cheers,

-Bret
    May 28, 2014. 01:26 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Where Do Shareholders Go From Here? [View article]
    GRJ,

I think you are misinterpreting the article. I think it would be unwise to sell Apple at these levels. If demand is shriveling and Apple is not as appealing to consumers as it once was, then I would sell the stock. If it is simply have supply trouble due to other factors, then I would certainly hold on to this stock.

My suggestion was to neither buy OR sell the stock, but rather, hold it. Apple has made so many people so much money over the past several years that I think it has earned the right to explain itself. It has earned the benefit of the doubt.

My suggestion is to hold the stock through earnings. Listen to the conference call. I repeat, LISTEN TO THE CONFERENCE CALL. You'll find everything you need from that alone, regardless of a top or bottom line miss.

Management will tell you what's going on. If demand is falling, if orders are slow, if they are doing well, doing poor. You will find out in this call and know whether to buy, hold or sell your shares. If no one wants the product, I'd sell. If demand is strong (and I suspect it still is) but supply was the issue, I would buy.

That's just me personally, but hey, everyone's different. My advice is not to sell the fear and loathing.

Hope this helps clarify things. I hope the article does not strike others the same way it struck you.

Bret