Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • At These Levels, Qualcomm Deserves A Look [View article]
    Hawkeyes/Northhills,

Great to hear you're a long time investor in the name (as long as you weren't burned in the tech bust!). But QCOM is a great name that supplies to way to many companies and has way to much demand, to be trading down at 57.
    You're comment about it being a great price entry for new investors is spot on. I think if you're new or experienced and DON'T have a position, this level is a great time to get long!

And Northhills,

Yes, I believe he meant 57 !
    May 28, 2012. 10:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • At These Levels, Qualcomm Deserves A Look [View article]
    Hey guys,

Sorry it took me so long to comment, with it being the holiday weekend and what not.
    Bgessner,
    Yes, I am aware to where else QCOM supplies their chips. Perhaps I should have included it. I suppose I vaguely did, but especially here on SA I try and keep things to the point and focus and the largest idea most of the times, or at least the ones that I feel will hit most people directly. So I should have included them, thank you for pointing that out and I will look to build off of this advice in the future! But totally agree that QCOM is a huge buy (obviously!) right now at 57.
    May 28, 2012. 10:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Steady Climbers To Set Your Sights On [View article]
    Bert,

I am curious about your thoughts on JPM. Clearly this article was written much earlier than the rapid deterioration they have have recently seen. They lost several billion dollars on their hedge trade but have since shaved what...$20 billion dollars in market cap off.

I understand that a lot of it was a loss in trust from the bank and their reputation is badly bruised but at some point is there too much value in the JP Morgan name to let it sulk at these levels?

Below 30 I would think it is a strong buy (pending further losses that have yet to be disclosed or some form of a financial crisis), especially with a 52-week low of about $28.

Bret
    May 25, 2012. 04:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Recent Selling, Microsoft Is A Buy [View article]
    Analysts and their price targets should usually be taken with a grain of salt. And with life, and especially with investing, it's full of "shoulda, woulda, coulda's."

Good-buy and good luck!

Bret
    May 25, 2012. 12:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Recent Selling, Microsoft Is A Buy [View article]
    Yes! Growtheport (I like the fruit line haha!) But the cloud is a big deal. Again, in other comments above I got into detail as to why it is not included in the article. Though I plan to have one out soon about the cloud and it's importance.
    MSFT could fall flat on their face, as you say. But I think it has a better chance of taking that turning point. With their hands in the many different fields it's in, offers them to be successful in a few different ways. It also allows them to be more diversified and balanced for the years to come.

In respect to your price targets, most are currently set above the current market price. I think under 30, MSFT was a good deal, but at 29 I think it's even better, personally.
    May 25, 2012. 12:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Recent Selling, Microsoft Is A Buy [View article]
    DCristof,

Wow, a lot of excellent points. You clearly know a few things about MSFT ;) I must add that they are becoming a rather large player in the cloud, and though this article fails to mention it, does not mean I am not aware of it. I did not want the piece to rabble on and on, so I will be doing a separate piece about it.

And a long position in MSFT I think (obviously) is a good idea. Like I said, in my opinion, they have great value and are a good growth company. With a nice divy, they will pay you to slowly see these growth prospects play out, all with low volatility. Re-investing those dividends will likely only make your MSFT position that much better in a decade or so.

Clearly you know your MSFT, and cloud may have been one of the "many more things to say" so if you don't mind me asking, what are your thoughts on it exactly? If you have no opinion on it, that's fine too, just curious to hear what you think is all. Comment sections are either full of destructive criticism, or helpful educational discussions. Glad to see it was the latter this time !
    May 25, 2012. 11:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Recent Selling, Microsoft Is A Buy [View article]
    Growtheport,

Right on. Not sure if you read some of the comments, but in one I stated that MSFT doesn't need to be the #1 in every category of business they venture into. But if they can become a legitimate threat and consume market space, then that's all they really need. So they might not ever be that dominate force they were in the 90's.

But AAPL or other names aren't for everyone. MSFT is a value play with a divy and with good future growth lying ahead. They have very low volatility and are relatively safe. Like you said, it's a good place for long term money. Especially at $29, I think a starter position is legitimate don't you think?
    May 25, 2012. 11:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Recent Selling, Microsoft Is A Buy [View article]
    Tragic,

It does all seem unlikely. Though that doesn't seem like a bad idea. I mean some social media is so hip and cool one day, and then gone the next. But who knows, many other iconic names have come and gone just as easily. There is probably a lot of confusion on the Twitter IPO after the FB flop, wouldn't you think?

I like where your heads at!

Thanks for commenting,

Bret
    May 25, 2012. 09:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Recent Selling, Microsoft Is A Buy [View article]
    That last line at the bottom,

"Microsoft will likely never see the glory days of the past but the certainly are positioned to continue a slow upward climb. Isn't that what a good stock is supposed to do?"

That's what I'm saying. They may not be #1 in every business venture they enter into. But as long as they are a real competitive threat and gain market share, who cares? Their shareholders will see their stock increase, they will continue to get an increased dividend and won't suffer through large amounts of volatility going forward. It might have new innovative products, but still has the speed of a dinosaur :)

Might I just also add, great first comment from you on SA! Welcome!
    May 25, 2012. 09:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Recent Selling, Microsoft Is A Buy [View article]
    Russelm !

Yes! The cloud, do not think I have forgot that! I actually responded to someone above, I don't have too many comments on this article so you could probably find it. But in it I said Microsoft is a major cloud player, and I didn't want to make this article go on and on and on... so I'm working on another one for it.

But thank you for finally being someone to point out MSFT and their cloud positioning. Skype and the Kinect for Xbox have not seen their full potential in my opinion and will be bigger down the road. I am hearing nothing break great news over the new phone and Windows 8 is supposedly the bees knees.
    May 25, 2012. 09:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Recent Selling, Microsoft Is A Buy [View article]
    Haha jeez. Yeah I would assume one could expect to pay at least $8bil for Twitter. I feel as though they could find a way to utilize Skype and twitter together...maybe? It was a while back but I believe I heard that one would have to pay $8 bil for Twitter, though the focus seems to be more on going public for them in my mind.

But if you're a large cap tech company and are looking to break into social media, who better? They have like 600 mil users and won't command the kind of power fb does in terms of a buy-out. But it seems unlikely this would happen
    May 24, 2012. 10:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Recent Selling, Microsoft Is A Buy [View article]
    I respect your opinion Industry, but I have to disagree. Will they take over every aspect in business they try and conquer? No. the answer to that is simple. And in all reality they don't have to be the sole #1 absolute player in any field. So long as they are a legitimate contender in all of where they are trying to go, they will create the revenue and earnings numbers they need too to grow market space and attract investors.
    May 24, 2012. 09:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Recent Selling, Microsoft Is A Buy [View article]
    Chubby.
    It's funny you say that. I was thinking of several acquisitions as well. One that seems fairly reasonable would be Twitter. They are trying to break into the social media aspect of things. Why start your own website up against Google+ (which isn't doing very well) and Facebook? When you could just buy out Twitter? seems like a good way to get 500 or 600 million users to me?

What are your thoughts?

Bret
    May 24, 2012. 09:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Recent Selling, Microsoft Is A Buy [View article]
    Hey guys,

Let me start by thanking all of you for the comments.. Nice to see some back and forth here. I realize to IndustryThinker's point that Microsoft may not be the leader in some categories. Some ventures may not turn out too successful.

But so far Windows 8 is getting some great reviews and people are actually raving about their new phone. I feel like with these, plus their Xbox, plus their social media, plus everything else they're doing, is creating more value for their shareholders.

With a 2.75% yield, and likely an increase coming, MSFT is not only a value play but a good way to get growth as well. This is likely a name you can stash away in your portfolio and see very nice gains from, both in yield and in growth.

I think where they can seem some of the most growth will be in cloud. I wanted to put cloud in this article as well, but thought it may take up too much, so I will have a separate article out about that soon. Hopefully before the end of the weekend.

Thanks for reading and keep on commenting! Good-buy and good luck!

Bret
    May 24, 2012. 08:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Euro-Proof Portfolio: Part I [View article]
    Kristian,

I can see how that would seem contradicting. By more diversity I meant, I wanted my money spread out in more than 3 or 4 names. These are just a few that stacked up really well last fall.

Thanks for commenting,