Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    gmmpa,

I love CEO Alan R Mulally (did you know he's retiring?) and will be tuned in to the shareholders meeting on Thursday to get more insight. While I won't get into the political aspects of things, Ford is a good company and I like them very much, with a great recovery story. Unfortunately with headwinds abroad they will have a lot of trouble with their struggling share price.
    May 9 08:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    cbroncos,

You do you homework! That's great and you are right. Ford's China numbers were okay last quarter, however their tiny market share over there makes it not as relevant compared to the presence in Europe. With more and more European headwinds, and a possible recession ahead Ford could post losses in the EU for quite some time.

Addressing the traders vs investors comment. I did mention if you're building a long-term portfolio, Ford is a company that could be in there. I just don't see share prices having an easy ride in 2012.
    May 9 08:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    TUNGFU,

While I was sure some would think that, admitting you are wrong is perfectly fine, and something you must do when you are active in the market. I put that there to show that I am human, and make mistakes just like everyone else. I am more of a trader than an investor, and use options to do most of my trades. Had I not gotten out I'd be at a near 100% loss.
    That being said, I am not forecasting doom and gloom on Ford. I am simply pointing out that until the global economic mess gets cleaned up, Ford is going to be stuck in the mud.
    May 9 08:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Relatively Safe Earnings Trade On Barrick Gold [View article]
    Well I mean seriously. the commenting on here is outrageous sometimes. It's like a joke. "My wife and I have a life, we have no desire to be traders." Okay....what are you even doing reading this trade then? Well good for you and your wife, take you and your life over to the "dividends and income" tab, and have a life there. The site is made for a plethora of users. Traders, Investors, CC's, I mean everything you can think of.
    Rocco did a piece the other day, just to demonstrate AAPL bulls and their wild emotions. It's ridiculous.
    May 1 10:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Relatively Safe Earnings Trade On Barrick Gold [View article]
    Sorry if I'm missing most of your point here.. You don't need to be an expert to put on earnings trade. He's a trader, not an investor. It seems as though everyone on SA has a problem with people writing articles about trades, but it's all good if its an article about investing. More than 1 way to make money in the stock market.

SA can be a joke. IF the trade goes right, no one praises you for being a genius, or compliments your move. but if you're wrong, oh god forbid you're wrong, you will get chastised by everyone on here. I for one would rather have him (as well as some others) write out their trades, if you act on it, and lose, it's your fault.
    May 1 10:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Relatively Safe Earnings Trade On Barrick Gold [View article]
    Hey guys,

Have you ever written an article?? Albeit, yes it is nearing it's 52-week low, but its quite the easy miss, even when you're reading it back to yourself. Because Kev wrote 52-high instead of 52-week low, doesn't take away from the fact that he's one hell of an options trader. One of the best on SA, in my opinion. He got the last two trades wrong? Okay, well get back to me when you, or anyone else you know is shooting 100% on the year. Don't agree with the trade? Don't play it.
    May 1 10:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another Bearish, Short-Term Options Trade On Coca-Cola [View article]
    Okay guys,

Just another update, it was later announced from Coke that they are not currently interested in acquiring Monster (MNST). Here is the direct comment:

"Coca-Cola has a distribution relationship with Monster in many markets, including the United States. Therefore, we are always in contact with Monster to maximize the value of our commercial arrangements. At this time, we are not in discussions to acquire the Monster Beverage Corporation. We continue to review the best ways to maximize the value of our relationship."

I am now also short Coca-Cola via long June puts.
    Apr 30 04:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another Bearish, Short-Term Options Trade On Coca-Cola [View article]
    While this bearish trade is setting up based on technicals, it is important to note that an acquisition of Monster, MNST could set the stock to continue this rally. Caveat Emptor, as investing always go.
    Apr 30 02:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Telecoms That Could Plummet On Cash Flow Issues [View article]
    stock manipulation? Hardly. This isn't Jim Cramer writing these articles, or David Einhorn. Some random trader/investor/author on SA does not have enough influence to move any stock in any significant manner. Unless someone loads the gun to buy 50,000 shares of a stock that does less than a half million shares a day, there will be no manipulation. While some articles are poor, and others great, that isn't to say SA as a whole is a joke. If it were a complete joke you wouldn't be on here long enough to write a response. Go read your Motley Fool if that's how you feel. Some articles end up being right, some end up wrong, but if you blindly take the advice of an article your read, by a person you don't know, you shouldn't be investing.
    Apr 27 02:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank Earnings Disappoint Bullish ETF Options Traders [View article]
    This is all very interesting, however isn't it rather irrelevant? Unless this is stating that further optimism remains in the financial sector, I don't see how the above info is still important. Traders were bullish JPM and WFC reports, and they were clearly wrong. After the earnings beat, both sold off, along with the entire sector. Perhaps I'm missing the point, but only GS, MS and BAC are really left to report, of the banking titans, and none are mentioned here.
    Apr 16 01:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Broadcom: Another Fail At Resistance? [View article]
    Wes,

Today I have done extensive research trying to answer your question of this sale. There has been a lot of stock/options awards as of late (last year or so). This man is very wealthy, even owns the NHL team, Anaheim Ducks. He has been very active in the exercise of options, followed by the sale of stock. However, he still owns 245,712 shares. As of April 2nd. He has also been involved in SEC investigations dating back to 2007 and 2008 for stock/option related activity, you can investigate further if you indeed want to know more.

In this specific case it appears he exercised option and converted class B stock to class A. It appears he hovers in the 250,000 share range, while continuously exercises stock/options to stay in that range.
    Apr 12 12:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Broadcom: Another Fail At Resistance? [View article]
    Wes,

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I agree that usually you don't like to see insiders selling. However, there are plenty of exceptions. I'm not familiar with this current situation, but let's say he had a lock up period (ex. 3 years, 5 years, etc.) and now he is able to sell, that would make sense to see these guys dumping a bunch of shares into the market. For example, some of the exec's from Apple had a lock up period, including the CEO Tim Cook, which recently expired, and he sold a ton of shares as well, even though the upside in their company is pretty obvious.

So, sometimes there is a reason and sometimes not. Usually you don't like to see it, but it all depends. I'll look into it and see if I can find the actual answer, however do keep in mind I was suggesting a trade in BRCM, not an investment. Though I am a believer in the company.

Bret
    Apr 10 03:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Potash Trade Update [View article]
    Tiger, I can see how that seems contradicting. I have long underlying stock, while trade it using options. When I first began, I was investing in the company. Over time I learned its price action and movement fairly well, so I trade it as well. Thank you for the comment, and pointing that out.

Happy Trading.
    Mar 29 04:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Potash Trade Update [View article]
    So far in the Pre market Potash is not even down a percent. I'm sure no one would come out here had Mosaic had a great earnings and blew everyone away. There was a very bearish outlook on the sector not too long ago, but my honest, humble opinion would be that the Ag sector is picking up. I think through this summer things will pick up--as well as prices/demand for potash (the product). Who knows..only time will tell and we will have to see. I like POT's long term prospects.
    Mar 29 09:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Broadcom: Another Fail At Resistance? [View article]
    DuncanK1,

Yes, BRCM has clearly made its push over $38 evident. Though has failed to really run away with it. It hasn't taken on as much momentum as other related names, and it is clearly lagging QCOM, which is doing great these last few weeks. It seems as though BRCM hasn't decisively chosen a direction as of yet, IMO.
    Mar 27 12:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment