Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • After Recent Selling, Microsoft Is A Buy [View article]
    Growtheport,

Right on. Not sure if you read some of the comments, but in one I stated that MSFT doesn't need to be the #1 in every category of business they venture into. But if they can become a legitimate threat and consume market space, then that's all they really need. So they might not ever be that dominate force they were in the 90's.

But AAPL or other names aren't for everyone. MSFT is a value play with a divy and with good future growth lying ahead. They have very low volatility and are relatively safe. Like you said, it's a good place for long term money. Especially at $29, I think a starter position is legitimate don't you think?
    May 25, 2012. 11:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Recent Selling, Microsoft Is A Buy [View article]
    Tragic,

It does all seem unlikely. Though that doesn't seem like a bad idea. I mean some social media is so hip and cool one day, and then gone the next. But who knows, many other iconic names have come and gone just as easily. There is probably a lot of confusion on the Twitter IPO after the FB flop, wouldn't you think?

I like where your heads at!

Thanks for commenting,

Bret
    May 25, 2012. 09:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Recent Selling, Microsoft Is A Buy [View article]
    That last line at the bottom,

"Microsoft will likely never see the glory days of the past but the certainly are positioned to continue a slow upward climb. Isn't that what a good stock is supposed to do?"

That's what I'm saying. They may not be #1 in every business venture they enter into. But as long as they are a real competitive threat and gain market share, who cares? Their shareholders will see their stock increase, they will continue to get an increased dividend and won't suffer through large amounts of volatility going forward. It might have new innovative products, but still has the speed of a dinosaur :)

Might I just also add, great first comment from you on SA! Welcome!
    May 25, 2012. 09:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Recent Selling, Microsoft Is A Buy [View article]
    Russelm !

Yes! The cloud, do not think I have forgot that! I actually responded to someone above, I don't have too many comments on this article so you could probably find it. But in it I said Microsoft is a major cloud player, and I didn't want to make this article go on and on and on... so I'm working on another one for it.

But thank you for finally being someone to point out MSFT and their cloud positioning. Skype and the Kinect for Xbox have not seen their full potential in my opinion and will be bigger down the road. I am hearing nothing break great news over the new phone and Windows 8 is supposedly the bees knees.
    May 25, 2012. 09:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Recent Selling, Microsoft Is A Buy [View article]
    Haha jeez. Yeah I would assume one could expect to pay at least $8bil for Twitter. I feel as though they could find a way to utilize Skype and twitter together...maybe? It was a while back but I believe I heard that one would have to pay $8 bil for Twitter, though the focus seems to be more on going public for them in my mind.

But if you're a large cap tech company and are looking to break into social media, who better? They have like 600 mil users and won't command the kind of power fb does in terms of a buy-out. But it seems unlikely this would happen
    May 24, 2012. 10:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Recent Selling, Microsoft Is A Buy [View article]
    I respect your opinion Industry, but I have to disagree. Will they take over every aspect in business they try and conquer? No. the answer to that is simple. And in all reality they don't have to be the sole #1 absolute player in any field. So long as they are a legitimate contender in all of where they are trying to go, they will create the revenue and earnings numbers they need too to grow market space and attract investors.
    May 24, 2012. 09:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Recent Selling, Microsoft Is A Buy [View article]
    Chubby.
    It's funny you say that. I was thinking of several acquisitions as well. One that seems fairly reasonable would be Twitter. They are trying to break into the social media aspect of things. Why start your own website up against Google+ (which isn't doing very well) and Facebook? When you could just buy out Twitter? seems like a good way to get 500 or 600 million users to me?

What are your thoughts?

Bret
    May 24, 2012. 09:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Recent Selling, Microsoft Is A Buy [View article]
    Hey guys,

Let me start by thanking all of you for the comments.. Nice to see some back and forth here. I realize to IndustryThinker's point that Microsoft may not be the leader in some categories. Some ventures may not turn out too successful.

But so far Windows 8 is getting some great reviews and people are actually raving about their new phone. I feel like with these, plus their Xbox, plus their social media, plus everything else they're doing, is creating more value for their shareholders.

With a 2.75% yield, and likely an increase coming, MSFT is not only a value play but a good way to get growth as well. This is likely a name you can stash away in your portfolio and see very nice gains from, both in yield and in growth.

I think where they can seem some of the most growth will be in cloud. I wanted to put cloud in this article as well, but thought it may take up too much, so I will have a separate article out about that soon. Hopefully before the end of the weekend.

Thanks for reading and keep on commenting! Good-buy and good luck!

Bret
    May 24, 2012. 08:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Euro-Proof Portfolio: Part I [View article]
    Kristian,

I can see how that would seem contradicting. By more diversity I meant, I wanted my money spread out in more than 3 or 4 names. These are just a few that stacked up really well last fall.

Thanks for commenting,

Bret
    May 21, 2012. 08:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    No problem jfcirfac,

I hope the position works out for you, truly. I know of some people with a large enough bankroll to hold about 1000 shares of a security. Then they can sell covered calls at different points. Like some in June, some in July with a higher strike, and some in August with an even higher one!

You need a pretty decent sized account to do something like this, obviously, but just an example of how you can create supplemental income via covered calls. email/message me if you have any further questions about it!

Good luck and happy trading! Cheers,

Bret
    May 18, 2012. 02:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell In May And ... Buy Again? [View article]
    Yes, I log daily, but have changed my perspective a bit. I am much more active in the market than I used to be. I used to strictly channel trade (and still do plenty of it, for swing trading is pretty profitable). But with a higher trading frequency, one must stay on top of their performance daily, to see what to do differently, better entries, better exits, etc. etc.
    I actually am neutral as of now. I was holding some longs in quality names, but since we broke through so much support I have been neutral for quite a few S&P handles now.
    However! I am out shopping now, looking at the names listed above in my disclosure, and looking at MSFT, COST, T.
    I want some safe, quality, dividend paying names if I'm going to hold in the face of this Euro mess. Trading is a different game than investing, so when investing you have to choose your names more carefully.
    May 18, 2012. 12:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell In May And ... Buy Again? [View article]
    NorthHills,

Channel trading can be very, very profitable. One reason it's great is because when it breaks down or breaks out, you know that's it. Get out of your position. If it stays within its range, then all is good!
    It sounds like you have it sorted out pretty well, in terms of how to use divy's for income and what not, and it can do a great job for supplementing income.
    As for stop limits...all you need to do is be stopped out on a gap down/gap up and you'll probably never use them again! :) stop limits can be very important.

I too make a list. I log my trades daily, each one with a "comments" section. This way at the end of the day, I know WHY I got into something, IF I held it to my target price, IF (and I better have) honored my stop, WHY I exited the position.

All it can do is help, and logging trades and logging your performance is how you get better, and you can ALWAYS get better when trading the markets!

Bret
    May 18, 2012. 10:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell In May And ... Buy Again? [View article]
    NorthHills,

I just checked them out...great diversity! Higher yielders, growth stocks, value plays...literally have them all. Nicely done. And if you were buying during those times, I'm sure you made a killing on a lot of your positions, in not all of them! Dividends can be/are a lifesaver. Especially over the long term, with the ability to use DRIPs, you can really compound your shares and use the "snowball effect" to accrue one's wealth.

You don't need to catch the bottom to make a killing, as I'm sure you already know, and there's always the "shoulda, coulda, woulda!" The key is moving on. Right now I am working on a portfolio for people who get sick from all the volatility. I SHOULD have it out this weekend, but is taking me longer than I thought to accomplish.

Over several article I have seen your commenting and appreciate your insight. The reason I tell you about my article on the way, is because I hope to gather some more insight from you over there. Hope to see you there as well, and again, thanks for commenting!

Happy Trading,

Bret
    May 18, 2012. 08:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell In May And ... Buy Again? [View article]
    Lancyjay,

Totally agree! Am I saying there is no more downside left and we're saved? Not in the least. But if you are not completely over loaded with longs right now (I hope one isn't, but the truth is I know many are), around this level is a good place to add or start positions IMO. Markets are due to bounce soon, so traders can take advantage, and investors have a good spot to add here with the S&P off more than 100 points in less than a month.

Thanks for commenting! Happy Trading !
    May 18, 2012. 08:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell In May And ... Buy Again? [View article]
    A fellow trader it sounds like. Glad to hear from you and good luck!

Thanks for commenting.