Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Sell In May And ... Buy Again? [View article]
    A fellow trader it sounds like. Glad to hear from you and good luck!

Thanks for commenting.
    May 18, 2012. 08:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    cino,

Analysts are always late to the game and are pointless IMHO. Sort of like rating agencies in a way...In 2008 when they had subprime mortgage bonds rated AAA, when they all happened to be toxic and be the cause over the financial crisis.

An analyst company is much the same. They'll have sell signals calling for the rising stock to come back to "fair value." Then, near the top they upgrade, after the stocks up 25% or something, and it's like "okay, thanks. You basically told me what they did!" I hate targets too ;)

Thanks for commenting.
    May 18, 2012. 08:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell In May And ... Buy Again? [View article]
    Northhills24,

Thank you very much for your kind words! And yes, many are at that standstill as well; on whether to dive or not.

I would advise in not diving all in, but perhaps, building a starter position. Of your three, I would most likely buy MCD. I would buy probably a half position, (so if you were aiming for 100 shares, I would do maybe get 50). and then add on any further large dips, 25 here, 25 there.

SBUX is a great growth story, but has a bit of a higher PE ratio. I love, love, love this stock and everything depends solely on your financial and investing objectives. If things get really ugly you could see them squeezed for more, but SBUX @ $50, I like too. They have great growth in China, and I think they'll do great.

Again, I can't make suggestions for anyone, but I like these names with starter positions only.

Good luck and happy trading !
    May 17, 2012. 06:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell In May And ... Buy Again? [View article]
    Jeremy,

Either one of those things will send this market soaring...most likely. Still, not a bad price area to begin accumulating.
    May 17, 2012. 06:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Short Term Turmoil Lies Ahead [View instapost]
    I originally anticipated a fall down to $550, and perhaps further, as stated above. Currently AAPL is trading 535 a share. With a high around 640, it is trading nearly 100 off the highs. I am not promoting or gloating, or anything of the sort.

Just simply coming back on here to say, here, at these levels, with AAPL and the S&P beaten the way it is, I think a starter position in AAPL is warranted. Perhaps half of your intended position. With another quarter of your intended position to be added at 500, should AAPL reach that low. Should the markets completely fall apart, I would also add near 200-day sma, just about 450.

Good luck to all in, or looking to get into AAPL, and happy trading.
    May 17, 2012. 12:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The S&P Has To Break Out Eventually [View article]
    Thanks Real !

It's not that I don't like to promote them, just have always felt (even before I started contributing) that stock talks is for more current topics, "like what's happening right now !?"

I don't know, perhaps a silly way to look at it. But I will focus on promoting if it is relevant to all of us in the situation (such as the S&P support/resistance).

But thanks for reading and commenting. And for the support ! :)
    May 17, 2012. 12:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    Brandyjc,

I'm sorry, your comment must have slipped through along with another one above. Again, sorry for the late reply but yes, they have a track record there. I understand they have a presence in both Europe and Asia (though Asia presence is rather small). The problem is Europe is basically in a recession and is falling apart over there.

This is killing Ford's sales over there. So to your point, yes they have a track record there. It's just not a good time to be selling autos in Europe right now.
    May 17, 2012. 08:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    Hey Jcirafic,

Sorry this comment totally slipped through the cracks on me, really I apologize. Okay, how covered calls work is sort of like an extra dividend in a way. Essentially what you are doing is purchasing common stock, in this case 200 shares of F at 10.70. Then, you sell 1 covered call for every 100 shares you own, so in this case you would sell 2 covered calls.

The goal in this is not to collect large sums of money, but instead boast/create a "dividend," as another form of income. People do this all the time and it's a great way bring in cash all year long. So in your scenario you could sell the June 11 calls, two of them, for .10, (that's how it will be listed in an options chain), or in other words 10 dollars. If you sold two of these contracts you would bring in a credit of 20 dollars. Even with fees, assuming you have a reasonable charging broker, that's still more than Ford's actual dividend.

What this effectively does is IF Ford closes below 11 dollars on June expiration, the $20 is yours to keep. If it closes over 11 dollars a share on June expiration, your 200 calls get called away at 11, for an $80 gain.
    11 - 10.70 = .30 x 200 (# of shares) = $60 + 20 (from CC) = $80.

There are a ton of different strategies and ways to approach covered calls, this is just one basic strategy. If you want to chat about it or learn more about them, please feel free to message me any time and I will help as much as I can, and NOT take a week to get back :) !

Cheers.
    May 17, 2012. 08:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Relatively Safe Earnings Trade On Barrick Gold [View article]
    Amen John 2002, amen.
    May 15, 2012. 08:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    I drive a Ford Ranger (good car) and I love the company. Remarkable story Bolesky, remarkable. Obviously you know that. Just with how everything is shaping up globally, their are plenty of other American companies out there (such as the ones) listed above to money to work. That is my only point.

For the record: I really do want Ford to go. I have nothing against them, at all. And want them to do great. Alan Mulally is a great CEO and Ford has reversed from its path it was on a few years ago.
    May 11, 2012. 09:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell Ford, Even If You Are A Long-Term Investor [View article]
    Haha. Have fun Rocco. Wrote a piece just last night. People just don't believe it.

Edit: thanks for the mention! Just saw the title and went right to the comments to see how people were taking it.

Good piece by the way.
    May 9, 2012. 05:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    Spawn,

I know my title is negative, as well as my near term opinion on Ford. Maybe I'm wrong, but if you re-read the article you will see that I do agree with a lot of what you said, and specifically state Europe is the "bump in the road." But that doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of other stocks without those bumps in front of them, where you can put your money to work in the short term.
    May 9, 2012. 12:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    Just to take it one step further I was out of all positions Ford related on 4/25/2012. It has been exactly two weeks since then, and two weeks since this article was published. Had I been bitter I would have written it much closer to that date.

I was neutral on Ford before earnings, went through the report, re-assessed the company and my opinion on it, and wrote an article on what I felt was true with Ford.

This will be my last comment (I hope) pertaining to the "bitter, sore loser" response from the SA users who just clearly haven't got a clue. If you read this whole article and that's all you get from it, then man, I feel really sorry for you. Good luck.
    May 9, 2012. 10:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    Okay. Just to clear this up once and for all, you are not fit to be in the market AT ALL if you let one trade stick with you for more than .5 seconds after you exit it. I got in, Ford began to roll over, and I got out. Small pinch, nothing close to being "burned" or a "sore loser." Let me know when 100% of your trades go your way big shot.

I'm not a bitter enough person to go through the effort of WRITING AN ARTICLE from losing on ONE trade. Do I write an article for all my trades that go right...? It is okay to prove you're human, which is why I put that in the beginning. I suppose I should know better than to assume everyone on SA is sophisticated enough to justify that.
    May 9, 2012. 10:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Not As Bright As Some May Hope [View article]
    Bill,

Don't disagree. I never once stated that Ford was flawed from the inside out, but rather has their global exposure weighing them down. A $2 cost basis, good for you! You can wait it out then, and you sound like a long term investor, which Ford will be good for then. I am just trying to help those who are thinking of getting in now and turning a quick buck--not likely gonna happen.

As for agreeing TungFu, I am not a "sore loser" at Ford. Okay, so I had a losing trade. Those happen, you cut with them and they are gone instantly. You move on. I would not be "angry at Ford," angry enough to write an entire article about them, that is for sure. I've made my fair share of money with Ford where one bad trade is not enough to make me "forecast doom and gloom."

If one is actually active in the market, one small trade would not ruin them or curse them. If it does, well they probably won't last long. This article is completely unbiased to that trade, for what it's worth, but you can believe whatever you want.
    May 9, 2012. 09:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment