Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Why A Mini iPad Will Kill The Kindle [View article]
    The mention of the Amazon prime is an interesting point. Though I can't say I have prime, in a way, I wish I did. And I agree with you to a point. It's just in my opinion, and it is just that, an opinion, if Apple were to introduce a mini tablet, and someone were on the fence on an iPad Mini vs (any other mini tablet) I would put my money on them choosing Apple.

Thanks for the comment! And I'm with ya on diggin' Apple products! Love them myself,

Bret
    Aug 8, 2012. 05:42 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why A Mini iPad Will Kill The Kindle [View article]
    Very Curious,

In a way, you sort of just proved you do, with all due respect. You have, about or at least $4000+ in Apple products. Clearly you love them, because they're great products. I have an iPhone and an iPad as well. I can honestly say I love them as well.

However, I think with a new smaller tablet, Apple will be aiming at the crowd who DOESN'T have an iPad yet. While iPad users now may revert to the smaller one, I think the rationale behind creating a smaller one would be for the market they have largely left untouched.

Please don't take my comment the wrong way. It isn't meant to be argumentative or put you on the defensive :)

Thanks for commenting,

Bret
    Aug 8, 2012. 05:12 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • EU Summit Agreement Bogus: Global Bear Market To Resume [View article]
    James,

Totally agree. While this "Euro-phoria" may stick around for longer than it should, I think next week we should see it fade, at least to an extent. But as we have seen, rationality and logic do not always have a place in this market. Either way, earnings season is around the corner. Along with expectations being way, way to high, Reported numbers and especially guidance are not going to be pretty.

Everyone's tied up in how we're going to 1500 now, but quite honestly, as much as I want the markets to go up, up and away, won't happen. Europe is a cluster---- either way and this, nor any proposal will likely save it. And any multination stock will go down with it.

If you've got a minute, this a pretty good article related to the EU summit:

Jun 30, 2012. 10:15 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's Approaching Dollar Menu Prices [View article]
    mxv,

To your point (at which I do not necessarily disagree with) many people probably prefer to eat at MCD while NOT knowing what is in their food. It would be nice to know you were eating 100% lean angus beef, but $1 burger probably just turned into $5. Should it be higher quality? Usually that answer is always yes, however, I feel that many people eat there for the price.
    Jun 8, 2012. 01:31 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's Approaching Dollar Menu Prices [View article]
    Spin,

Though there is not set of rules written in stone for support/resistance, there are a few ways to find them. In your inquiries, I do not see MCD hitting those levels. 2009, America was involved with the Financial Meltdown, so most securities saw extreme lows in that time.

To be frank with you, I do not see the 2010 low being visited either. Though should we have some sort of macro economic collapse, all of this is irrelevant. I think $80 SHOULD hold. If that's not the case, I don't see MCD going through the $70's very quickly at all. I think they should find substantial support before that.

It's hard to know when a bottom is in. I don't think the bottom is in now, but I don't think it will visit $65 or $52. If you're investing for the long term, you don't need to pin the exact bottom!

Hope this helps!

Bret
    Jun 8, 2012. 10:58 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Using Covered Calls To Increase Your Yield: Gravy For A Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    McClane,

They're cheap for a reason. For instance the June 42.5 calls are selling for like .15 (or $15). Well, in 15 days they will expire and it is unlikely that it will rise that high in such a short period of time, with the stock currently at 38.80. So the seller simply collects the premium and moves on.

Also, options are a little deeper than you may thing. For instance, you may be selling the covered call to collect the premium from it right? Well the one who is buying it, may be doing many other things with it. It could be part of a spread (either debit or credit) so they may be with you or against you (in terms of market direction). Also, they may be short POT and using the upside calls as their stop.

So if one were short 200 shares of POT and wanted at stop loss of 42.5, then one would buy those calls, which could very well be the calls you're selling as your covered calls. You see?

Hope this helps..ask anything else if you'd like!
    May 31, 2012. 11:02 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hey,

Good piece. I too advise to sell covered calls, both in my articles and in conversations between myself and other investors. They have their time and place for them, but many times can act as a "second dividend" as you say.

One edit though on your article:

"The option expires worthless, you keep your 100 shares of POT, and get $162 in covered call premium for your trouble."

If I am correct, it was 2 contracts sold for $81 apiece. Thus above would need to read

"The option expires worthless, you keep your 200 shares of POT, and get $162 in covered call premium for your trouble."

Just one contributor trying to help another! :)

Good-buy and good luck!
    May 30, 2012. 06:23 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Big Money To Be Made In Agriculture [View article]
    To everyone who has and who will say I'm using a mere 1 liner to count global population with Facebook..I'm not! I did not compare it to any of the companies, nor use it anywhere else in the article.

If I had written "200 years ago, there were less than 800 million people on earth, today there are over 7 billion." No one would have a problem with this, all I did was a make it a little more visual so it's easier for readers comprehend. Also, it is not a measure of anything, simply showing just how rapidly we have grown over those two centuries.
    Mar 14, 2012. 05:56 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ConocoPhillips: A Smart Way To Trade Oil [View article]
    Sorry Bill. What I mean is that the OPTIONS price in USO is higher, because it has a higher implied vol. The higher the implied vol, the higher the price will be, since volatility is price into a securities options price.

Hope this helps you,

Bret.
    Mar 9, 2012. 11:59 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Solution For The Eurozone Debt Crisis Is Actually Quite Simple [View article]
    as quoted above, "should be written in stone." I agree, even though the short run would be a painful bloody mess, it's what would sort out the problems the quickest in the long run. It's survival of the fittest, at least that's the way it is in the markets, and as you say the politicians always intervene, making it the survival of the richest.
    Dec 6, 2011. 03:30 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thinking Of Selling Starbucks? Read This First [View article]
    Awesome job!

Many investors never get to tell an $8-to-$91 stock story. Here's to hoping more people can tell similar stories in the future.

Happy Mardi Gras!

-Bk
    Feb 14, 2015. 11:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Thinking Of Selling Starbucks? Read This First [View article]
    Hey Phil -

I'm glad to see you found this piece! The call was really magnificent and Schultz was really encouraging. Management did say H1 could be a little a weaker, while H2 would likely be stronger.

If this is the case, q2 results could disappoint, and that may give investors who missed the boat a chance to get in, or add to smaller positions. Of course, who knows what happens, but just a theory.

I won't sell in anticipation of that potential drop. If it falls, I'll buy more. But I see the longer term vision, which equals higher in my mind, with or without a pullback.

Thanks for reading. Any chance you'll break your silence and give us a CMG piece to read? :) I for one would love some insight on that beast.
    Feb 4, 2015. 03:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Thinking Of Selling Starbucks? Read This First [View article]
    Civ-e --

While I see your point, it's one that could have been made last year. Or probably even the year before. SBUX could have a rocky quarter here or there and even said next quarter could be a little on the lower end, with strength coming in the back half of the year.

If you're a longer term investor, I wouldn't let the quarter to quarter nonsense shake you too much. SBUX has a solid pipeline of growth and several levers to pull.

Thanks for commenting!

-Bret
    Feb 4, 2015. 03:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Yahoo Will Spin Off Alibaba, But Is There Still Money To Be Made? [View article]
    Great thought. Entirely possible and makes sense too.

-Bk
    Jan 28, 2015. 01:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Yahoo's New Activist Investor Means, And Why The Stock Is Headed Higher [View article]
    Hey Steve --

I agree, pretty much, with your point that AOL isn't the best matchup. I for one could care less about AOL (or any other merger/acquisition for the matter).

My main focus (and I'm assuming Starboard's too) is the tax efficiencies that can be realized by Yahoo! in regards to its stakes in Alibaba and Yahoo! Japan.

How this is handled will result in $10+ billion, and thus, $10+ per share share. They need to get this right.
    Sep 27, 2014. 12:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment