Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • The Solution For The Eurozone Debt Crisis Is Actually Quite Simple [View article]
    as quoted above, "should be written in stone." I agree, even though the short run would be a painful bloody mess, it's what would sort out the problems the quickest in the long run. It's survival of the fittest, at least that's the way it is in the markets, and as you say the politicians always intervene, making it the survival of the richest.
    Dec 6 03:30 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Yahoo's New Activist Investor Means, And Why The Stock Is Headed Higher [View article]
    Hey Steve --

I agree, pretty much, with your point that AOL isn't the best matchup. I for one could care less about AOL (or any other merger/acquisition for the matter).

My main focus (and I'm assuming Starboard's too) is the tax efficiencies that can be realized by Yahoo! in regards to its stakes in Alibaba and Yahoo! Japan.

How this is handled will result in $10+ billion, and thus, $10+ per share share. They need to get this right.
    Sep 27 12:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Is Yahoo Worth Part II: Alibaba And The Rest Of Yahoo's Assets [View article]
    Hey flashback --

Like Fraser just said, there will be ways to reduce their tax bill. It can be as simple as buying something, selling it for a profit, and paying the tax man in the end.

But if YHOO is halfway decent about handling its money, it will reduce its bill, or eliminate it, depending on its future course of action.
    Aug 26 03:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: $24 Is Within Reach [View article]
    I like Ford and am long, but this is spot on:

You forget that Ford is currently trading at a fair price that is proportional to earnings for 2014, if not on the high side.
    Jul 31 01:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is It Time To Buy Shares Of Whole Foods Market? [View article]
    Gary

I don't really get your point. Your making it sound as though I'm a full-blown bull on WMT.

I am not, for the record.

But to shrug off the largest retailer on earth and say, 'Oh, it will have not effect on WFM' is purely irresponsible and ignorant.

WFM has already said it is focused on lower pricing. Seriously, what's your beef?
    Jul 30 09:55 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is It Time To Buy Shares Of Whole Foods Market? [View article]
    My assumption isn't that WMT shoppers buy a lot of organic. But what I'm saying is that WMT has an incredible amount of pricing power.

If its lower prices pressure WFM's competitors, it can ultimately put pressure on WFM to lower its prices.

So WMT won't steal WFM customers away, but it can certainly put pressure on pricing. The question is whether volume will offset that disadvantage.
    Jul 30 09:35 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Starbucks: Wait For Lower Entry Price After Earnings Announcement [View article]
    Gotcha. I would say near current levels, the stock is fairly to fully valued, depending which metrics you use.

I would consider a pullback to the low-$70s a gift and where I would be buying my position. But that's just me, because I think it's plausible shares will be undervalued, but not deeply undervalued any time soon. (FD: Long SBUX)
    Jul 29 10:52 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Potash Corp: Relax, Everything Will Be Just Fine [View article]
    Great article. Really appreciate the insight. POT catching a solid bid in the pre-market too!
    Aug 26 09:09 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford Is Going To $40 [View article]
    Cbroncos -- Nailed it.
    Jul 9 01:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Examining The Inner Workings Of The Inner-Worker [View article]
    JoseV, Iknownothing -- (I doubt that!!) and Ivanquinchia -

Thank you all for the nice words and comments. I appreciate them a lot! :-)...Seriously, very glad you guys decided to say something!

-Bret
    Feb 13 10:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Lower-Risk, Lower-Reward Strategy For Gaining Exposure To Apple [View article]
    Uwlaw,

It's all personal preference, honestly. I have gone long shares of Apple, but not in my IRA. For my IRA I wanted something with less volatility. Perhaps your view is different, which is fine.

As the comment above states, "The best way to invest in Apple, is to invest in Apple."

Clear and to the point, and I agree to an extent. But after thinking and researching, I decided to go with the QQQ fund. With a heavy influence from Apple and a solid influence from Google, Amazon and Qualcomm for the diversification.

I'm long both, just in separate accounts. It's not something that everyone will appreciate, but is a viable strategy for much more conservative investors.
    Feb 8 11:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Apple At $460.68 And Why I Expect To Make Money On It [View article]
    sheldond...bing! Bing! Bing! You got it my friend!

Is growth slowing? Sure, it's right there in the numbers. But did Apple just sell 47 MILLION iPhones and 22 MILLLION iPads last quarter?!

Yes! The growth is slowing and I magnified that in the article. But just because a car is going 200 mph and is now going 180 mph, doesn't mean it is slow, just because it has SLOWED down.

I think it's foolish to be unloaded shares in this level. Completely foolish. Between the cash on hand, future products/markets and the deeply undervalued state of Apple, I'm certainly a buyer.

It's a case of lower-risk, higher-reward. Appreciate the alien-oriented comment :)

Bret
    Feb 6 09:42 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hey Murph,

That's a fair window for estimating. I think the big problem is the chips that they need. Qualcomm is working on them, but some analysts don't expect them to be ready until second half 2013.

Thanks for the input!

Bret
    Feb 6 09:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's Or Yum: Which Belongs In Your Wallet? [View article]
    Kolpin,

I have not had a chance to look through the conference call, but at these levels, with some 'back of the envelope' number crunching, I think a long-term position would be good @ 60.

MCD and YUM are too excellent long-term hold. McDonald's is more fundamentally solid, while Yum! has good growth prospects. I might start looking at a position too!
    Feb 5 02:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's (MCD +0.6%) could put in an ugly couple of quarters as it heads into tough comparables, warns RetailGeeks. The group sees revenue slipping 0.3% Y/Y for McDonald's during Q4 with restaurant margins lower in the U.S. and global divisions. [View news story]
    A year's worth of selling would be nice. Couldn't imagine how happy I'd be in 2030, knowing I bought MCD on a 25% pullback for rising commodity costs.
    Jan 22 02:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment