Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Ford: Examining The Inner Workings Of The Inner-Worker [View article]
    JoseV, Iknownothing -- (I doubt that!!) and Ivanquinchia -

Thank you all for the nice words and comments. I appreciate them a lot! :-)...Seriously, very glad you guys decided to say something!

-Bret
    Feb 13 10:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Lower-Risk, Lower-Reward Strategy For Gaining Exposure To Apple [View article]
    Uwlaw,

It's all personal preference, honestly. I have gone long shares of Apple, but not in my IRA. For my IRA I wanted something with less volatility. Perhaps your view is different, which is fine.

As the comment above states, "The best way to invest in Apple, is to invest in Apple."

Clear and to the point, and I agree to an extent. But after thinking and researching, I decided to go with the QQQ fund. With a heavy influence from Apple and a solid influence from Google, Amazon and Qualcomm for the diversification.

I'm long both, just in separate accounts. It's not something that everyone will appreciate, but is a viable strategy for much more conservative investors.
    Feb 8 11:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Apple At $460.68 And Why I Expect To Make Money On It [View article]
    sheldond...bing! Bing! Bing! You got it my friend!

Is growth slowing? Sure, it's right there in the numbers. But did Apple just sell 47 MILLION iPhones and 22 MILLLION iPads last quarter?!

Yes! The growth is slowing and I magnified that in the article. But just because a car is going 200 mph and is now going 180 mph, doesn't mean it is slow, just because it has SLOWED down.

I think it's foolish to be unloaded shares in this level. Completely foolish. Between the cash on hand, future products/markets and the deeply undervalued state of Apple, I'm certainly a buyer.

It's a case of lower-risk, higher-reward. Appreciate the alien-oriented comment :)

Bret
    Feb 6 09:42 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hey Murph,

That's a fair window for estimating. I think the big problem is the chips that they need. Qualcomm is working on them, but some analysts don't expect them to be ready until second half 2013.

Thanks for the input!

Bret
    Feb 6 09:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's Or Yum: Which Belongs In Your Wallet? [View article]
    Kolpin,

I have not had a chance to look through the conference call, but at these levels, with some 'back of the envelope' number crunching, I think a long-term position would be good @ 60.

MCD and YUM are too excellent long-term hold. McDonald's is more fundamentally solid, while Yum! has good growth prospects. I might start looking at a position too!
    Feb 5 02:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's (MCD +0.6%) could put in an ugly couple of quarters as it heads into tough comparables, warns RetailGeeks. The group sees revenue slipping 0.3% Y/Y for McDonald's during Q4 with restaurant margins lower in the U.S. and global divisions. [View news story]
    A year's worth of selling would be nice. Couldn't imagine how happy I'd be in 2030, knowing I bought MCD on a 25% pullback for rising commodity costs.
    Jan 22 02:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Where Do Shareholders Go From Here? [View article]
    My thoughts are this, how many Apple bears were calling the top? Probably none (or few), at least with their own wallets. Now that Apple has actually fallen -- a lot -- they're all over.

Like I said, sentiment is negative everywhere you look. I think Apple recovers from this. I wrote about that last week. But with a crack of $500, the charts look pitiful. I wouldn't sell, I wouldn't add (unless it's at maybe $450 or lower) until the earnings report/conference call.

Appreciate the comments!

Bret
    Jan 17 01:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Where Do Shareholders Go From Here? [View article]
    Agree Skippy. I posted a reply to someone's comment who must have removed it. But essentially he viewed my article as bearish.

I wouldn't say it's full on bullish, but it certainly is slightly bullish. I would wait for the earnings report to see what's really going on. But I think Apple has a ton a potential when (not if) a deal gets done with China Mobile.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see why the Chinese wouldn't want the iPhone, as many seem to suggest -- for whatever reason.

Thanks for the comment,

Bret
    Jan 17 01:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Don't Give Up On The Fast Food King [View article]
    Hey LaughingTrader,

I really, really like selling puts, especially to gain assignment. I think it is one of the better ways to get your shares (most of the time). You seem to know what you're doing, so don't take this as an 'insult' or petty advice, but it's best to sell options with 30-45 days left.

Again, don't take it the wrong way, but it's typically the best way to do so. You just get the most 'bang for your buck' in terms of time decay. That's all.

If you do have questions, I'd love to help :)

Thanks for the comment and I agree with your strategy!

Bret
    Jan 16 10:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Growth Portfolio For Today's Markets And Beyond [View article]
    How about to the $SAG fund? Haha. But I know I know..I have rolled into some long-term positions focusing on growth. These are some of the names that I really like. I also really like Madison Square Gardens (MSG), but I think its trading a little rich to what it should be.

I really like Panera too. I think they have a great long-term outlook. I'm also thinking about Nike (NKE) but don't a position in that either. My next few articles will focus on my core/hybrid section...names like MCD, DIS and KO.

Thanks for the comment Joe! And seriously, we need a SAG etf ! haha :)
    Jan 14 10:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Panera Bread Company: Is The Growth Sustainable? [View article]
    haha 99.9/.1 sound good. You 99.9 of course ;)
    Jan 11 01:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Visa Or MasterCard: Which One Belongs In Your Wallet? [View article]
    haha oh man...better just shut off the computer and sit in hole for 2013. Maybe sip on some SAM while the gains are still there! :) Good luck! Duck and cover from the GS artillery strikes!
    Jan 11 10:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Visa Or MasterCard: Which One Belongs In Your Wallet? [View article]
    Uh-oh...another huge favorite of mine (Ford F) was "upgraded" to the conviction list at Goldman. F and V...now that's trouble!
    Jan 11 09:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Last Year's Sales And This Year's Expectations [View article]
    Indeed we would Steve, indeed we would!
    Jan 11 09:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • eBay: Is The Growth Real? [View article]
    Joe,

Thanks for comments. I want to quickly point out I really appreciate you taking the time to read, as well as comment on my articles. Whether its in agreement or not, I appreciate you taking the time to do so, both in the past and in the future.

I think eBay looks great though. PayPal is just now getting some exposure and I think this is going to be the future revenue driver. Seriously, I use it, I love it. For more than just eBay.

Marketplace is the money maker, but PayPal has the largest growth for eBay. I think it will do great in the next 5 years or so.
    Jan 9 02:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment