Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • McDonald's (MCD +0.6%) could put in an ugly couple of quarters as it heads into tough comparables, warns RetailGeeks. The group sees revenue slipping 0.3% Y/Y for McDonald's during Q4 with restaurant margins lower in the U.S. and global divisions. [View news story]
    A year's worth of selling would be nice. Couldn't imagine how happy I'd be in 2030, knowing I bought MCD on a 25% pullback for rising commodity costs.
    Jan 22, 2013. 02:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Where Do Shareholders Go From Here? [View article]
    My thoughts are this, how many Apple bears were calling the top? Probably none (or few), at least with their own wallets. Now that Apple has actually fallen -- a lot -- they're all over.

Like I said, sentiment is negative everywhere you look. I think Apple recovers from this. I wrote about that last week. But with a crack of $500, the charts look pitiful. I wouldn't sell, I wouldn't add (unless it's at maybe $450 or lower) until the earnings report/conference call.

Appreciate the comments!

Bret
    Jan 17, 2013. 01:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Where Do Shareholders Go From Here? [View article]
    Agree Skippy. I posted a reply to someone's comment who must have removed it. But essentially he viewed my article as bearish.

I wouldn't say it's full on bullish, but it certainly is slightly bullish. I would wait for the earnings report to see what's really going on. But I think Apple has a ton a potential when (not if) a deal gets done with China Mobile.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see why the Chinese wouldn't want the iPhone, as many seem to suggest -- for whatever reason.

Thanks for the comment,

Bret
    Jan 17, 2013. 01:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Don't Give Up On The Fast Food King [View article]
    Hey LaughingTrader,

I really, really like selling puts, especially to gain assignment. I think it is one of the better ways to get your shares (most of the time). You seem to know what you're doing, so don't take this as an 'insult' or petty advice, but it's best to sell options with 30-45 days left.

Again, don't take it the wrong way, but it's typically the best way to do so. You just get the most 'bang for your buck' in terms of time decay. That's all.

If you do have questions, I'd love to help :)

Thanks for the comment and I agree with your strategy!

Bret
    Jan 16, 2013. 10:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Growth Portfolio For Today's Markets And Beyond [View article]
    How about to the $SAG fund? Haha. But I know I know..I have rolled into some long-term positions focusing on growth. These are some of the names that I really like. I also really like Madison Square Gardens (MSG), but I think its trading a little rich to what it should be.

I really like Panera too. I think they have a great long-term outlook. I'm also thinking about Nike (NKE) but don't a position in that either. My next few articles will focus on my core/hybrid section...names like MCD, DIS and KO.

Thanks for the comment Joe! And seriously, we need a SAG etf ! haha :)
    Jan 14, 2013. 10:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Panera Bread Company: Is The Growth Sustainable? [View article]
    haha 99.9/.1 sound good. You 99.9 of course ;)
    Jan 11, 2013. 01:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Visa Or MasterCard: Which One Belongs In Your Wallet? [View article]
    haha oh man...better just shut off the computer and sit in hole for 2013. Maybe sip on some SAM while the gains are still there! :) Good luck! Duck and cover from the GS artillery strikes!
    Jan 11, 2013. 10:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Visa Or MasterCard: Which One Belongs In Your Wallet? [View article]
    Uh-oh...another huge favorite of mine (Ford F) was "upgraded" to the conviction list at Goldman. F and V...now that's trouble!
    Jan 11, 2013. 09:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Last Year's Sales And This Year's Expectations [View article]
    Indeed we would Steve, indeed we would!
    Jan 11, 2013. 09:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • eBay: Is The Growth Real? [View article]
    Joe,

Thanks for comments. I want to quickly point out I really appreciate you taking the time to read, as well as comment on my articles. Whether its in agreement or not, I appreciate you taking the time to do so, both in the past and in the future.

I think eBay looks great though. PayPal is just now getting some exposure and I think this is going to be the future revenue driver. Seriously, I use it, I love it. For more than just eBay.

Marketplace is the money maker, but PayPal has the largest growth for eBay. I think it will do great in the next 5 years or so.
    Jan 9, 2013. 02:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Visa Or MasterCard: Which One Belongs In Your Wallet? [View article]
    Some above have stated that the stock looks "frothy." Both V and MA are hitting new highs today. They might seem a little expensive, but these stocks are growth stocks. Growth stocks rarely come with much discount, it usually requires investors to "pay-up" for these names, with the expectation that they'll continue to grow over the years.

The argument is valid, and I would wait for a pullback to add. You can see on the charts the these pullbacks are regular -- and healthy. I would add on those dips, and continue to ride both of these stock until something fundamentally changes.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Bret
    Jan 9, 2013. 02:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Protect Your Portfolio Against Volatility [View article]
    Then it's one hell of a coincidence!
    Jan 9, 2013. 09:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Protect Your Portfolio Against Volatility [View article]
    Perhaps. I have no problem with people trading Vol. I just don't like it. I have a few times and never really got too hurt, but there are just so many times it trades so wacky.

I don't like the feeling. I don't feel hedged or safe enough doing it. But for others, they're completely fine with it! It depends on the trader. It's not for me, and this is my alternative.

If you do take the TVIX position, be nimble and good luck out there!!

Bret
    Jan 8, 2013. 09:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Protect Your Portfolio Against Volatility [View article]
    Ahhh, I fast-tracked it, but juuuuuust missed the close. Sorry to everyone else too. I tried very hard.

If you don't want to use options or wait until tomorrow's open, you can always short SPY in the after hours.

Thanks for the kind words 444!

Bret
    Jan 7, 2013. 04:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Much Ado About Apple: Why The Pessimists Are Wrong [View article]
    Excellent point wdchil and I appreciate your kind words. I previously wrote an article about Apple that referenced the same survey as the one above by Goldman. Here is what I wrote, which might help with your comment:

"The survey from Goldman Sachs also noted that analysts believe each iOS user is approximately valued at $1,053. The firm has projected that this will point to at least $295 billion in future profits. This figure is not based off the "likely" or "highly likely" category. This figure ($295 billion) is derived from the 21% who would "not switch devices at any cost." This makes it very clear that Apple has an extremely strong loyalty base.

Another survey, this time by UBS, would indicate that over 30% of Android users plan to make the iPhone their next purchase. Furthermore, they suggest that 89% of Apple's iPhone users plan to stick with the smartphone maker as their next purchase. Though Apple likely can't and won't thrive forever, retaining 90% of its users, while adding 30% of competitors' users, will only beef up the balance sheet."

If that interested you, the rest of the article can be read here: http://seekingalpha.co...

Thanks for commenting!