Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • A Lower-Risk, Lower-Reward Strategy For Gaining Exposure To Apple [View article]
    Uwlaw,

It's all personal preference, honestly. I have gone long shares of Apple, but not in my IRA. For my IRA I wanted something with less volatility. Perhaps your view is different, which is fine.

As the comment above states, "The best way to invest in Apple, is to invest in Apple."

Clear and to the point, and I agree to an extent. But after thinking and researching, I decided to go with the QQQ fund. With a heavy influence from Apple and a solid influence from Google, Amazon and Qualcomm for the diversification.

I'm long both, just in separate accounts. It's not something that everyone will appreciate, but is a viable strategy for much more conservative investors.
    Feb 8, 2013. 11:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford's Dividend Boost Changes The Landscape For Buyers [View article]
    Nice Mitch! must have a hell of a cost basis then...Looking at a double or not quite yet? (If you don't mind me asking).

-Bret
    Feb 8, 2013. 11:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Panera Bread Company: Is The Growth Sustainable? [View article]
    Definitely stu. I think it's smart to roll out with only 3 dishes first. If consumers like it and begin to make it a top pick, then roll out more dishes, maybe 7-10.

What I love about PNRA is the LONG-TERM growth potential. We're not looking at 3-4 years of sustained growth. The outlook is closer to 8-10 years, and potential many more.

Pnra is certainly one of my favorite long-term holdings. It might be the one I'm most excited about. I can only hope high commodity costs keep it pinned down in 2013, which will give me time to keep adding to it.

I love when constructive conversations exist in the comment sections here!

-Bret
    Feb 8, 2013. 10:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Panera Bread Company: Is The Growth Sustainable? [View article]
    Thanks stu. Kind of reminds of my Noodles selection...if you have ever heard of them. Really tasty and quickly made pasta restaurant. Small chain, but good variety. They also seem quite popular.

Perhaps PNRA can take some of this market share by eventually expanding its pasta selections. Thanks for the news clip, I appreciate it!

Bret
    Feb 7, 2013. 02:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Apple At $460.68 And Why I Expect To Make Money On It [View article]
    I feel ya, Murph. Ive essentially created a lot of these products, although sometimes Jobs would be the one taking credit. Even before Jobs had passed, I think Apple was already onto their next big thing.

With Jobs and Ive there, they had the right ideas (hopefully) and without Jobs, hopefully Ive, Cook and the rest of the crew can put the finishing touches on it. Long Apple.

Bret
    Feb 7, 2013. 09:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    And will be really in ITM at the open, should these pre-market gains hold :)

Nice work,

Bret
    Feb 7, 2013. 09:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Huh, that is interesting. Thanks for both replying and going into detail. I'll give this is a shot, seems interesting. A lot of volume for high priced stocks like GOOG, AMZN, AAPL, and PCLN lies within the derivatives market. IE: options.

Thanks again,

Bret
    Feb 6, 2013. 11:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shares of GameStop (GME -10.5%) crumble with speculation over next-generation systems hurting the company's resale business tipping sentiment. If future consoles feature games fully connected to the Internet with no value beyond initial purchase, GameStop's revenue could suffer. [View news story]
    Could suffer? Could? GME's revenue would be crushed. decimated. In the short-term it would weigh on them, but it's that 3-5 year time frame that will kill them.

People will still trade and buy xbox 360 and ps3 games in the year or two that follow a new console release. Beyond that though, it's all about the new system.
    Feb 6, 2013. 09:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    sheldond...bing! Bing! Bing! You got it my friend!

Is growth slowing? Sure, it's right there in the numbers. But did Apple just sell 47 MILLION iPhones and 22 MILLLION iPads last quarter?!

Yes! The growth is slowing and I magnified that in the article. But just because a car is going 200 mph and is now going 180 mph, doesn't mean it is slow, just because it has SLOWED down.

I think it's foolish to be unloaded shares in this level. Completely foolish. Between the cash on hand, future products/markets and the deeply undervalued state of Apple, I'm certainly a buyer.

It's a case of lower-risk, higher-reward. Appreciate the alien-oriented comment :)

Bret
    Feb 6, 2013. 09:42 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Christopher,

I love options and I'm sure many readers here do as well. If you don't mind, could you elaborate on this?

Much appreciated,

Bret
    Feb 6, 2013. 09:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hey Murph,

That's a fair window for estimating. I think the big problem is the chips that they need. Qualcomm is working on them, but some analysts don't expect them to be ready until second half 2013.

Thanks for the input!

Bret
    Feb 6, 2013. 09:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hey Guys, thanks for the comments. I think Cook is less "dominating" than Jobs was. While this is both a blessing and a curse, I think it is a blessing in the CHL deal because Cook is more likely to get a deal worked out, without haggling over details that would potential ruin the deal by squeezing every penny out of CHL.

I believe the main problem is the chip. But as we speak Qualcomm is making a chip that will work for iPhones in China -- I believe. So hopefully this coupled with Cook's down to earth-ness, will be able to get a deal worked out.
    Feb 6, 2013. 09:35 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: After The Pullback, Should You Hold 'Em Or Fold 'Em? [View article]
    Frogola, would have to agree. I sold a large chunk of my position @ 13.85-ish and have began adding to it again, first at 12.75. I am at about 2/3 of the original position, but won't likely get as overweight as when I did in the $10 range. It doesn't have the same risk : reward.

But I agree with you! Long Ford!

-Bret
    Feb 5, 2013. 04:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: After The Pullback, Should You Hold 'Em Or Fold 'Em? [View article]
    Hey cbroncos --

Thank you very much for pointing this out. Yes, I meant the Ford Fusion!! Appreciate you catching that.

-Bret
    Feb 5, 2013. 04:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's Or Yum: Which Belongs In Your Wallet? [View article]
    Kolpin,

I have not had a chance to look through the conference call, but at these levels, with some 'back of the envelope' number crunching, I think a long-term position would be good @ 60.

MCD and YUM are too excellent long-term hold. McDonald's is more fundamentally solid, while Yum! has good growth prospects. I might start looking at a position too!
    Feb 5, 2013. 02:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment