Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple Bears Can't Walk And Chew Gum, Stock Heading To $700 [View article]
    I'm not sure what the P/E would have been, nor do I care enough to find out. All I know is that this guy put his price target over $400, or ~55%, above Apple's all-time high of 703-ish.

Not only that -- and I may be completely wrong here -- but I believe his cutesy $777 price target has been around for ages.

For me, that's all I need to see for him to lose all credibility.
    May 28 05:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Bears Can't Walk And Chew Gum, Stock Heading To $700 [View article]
    Richard,

In Blair's defense, Brian White has never been, shall we say, a pro at calling Apple's future price. Remember $1,111?

Nice piece though!

Cheers,

-Bret
    May 28 01:26 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Lower-Risk, Lower-Reward Strategy For Gaining Exposure To Apple [View article]
    Pts, I have my eyes on a few ETF's that I don't own yet, particularly for gaining exposure to fixed income.

However, as it stand, I have about twice as many individual stocks as I do ETF's. Essentially 1/3 is ETF.

PM if you want more details!

-Bret
    Feb 8 02:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Uwlaw,

It's all personal preference, honestly. I have gone long shares of Apple, but not in my IRA. For my IRA I wanted something with less volatility. Perhaps your view is different, which is fine.

As the comment above states, "The best way to invest in Apple, is to invest in Apple."

Clear and to the point, and I agree to an extent. But after thinking and researching, I decided to go with the QQQ fund. With a heavy influence from Apple and a solid influence from Google, Amazon and Qualcomm for the diversification.

I'm long both, just in separate accounts. It's not something that everyone will appreciate, but is a viable strategy for much more conservative investors.
    Feb 8 11:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Apple At $460.68 And Why I Expect To Make Money On It [View article]
    I feel ya, Murph. Ive essentially created a lot of these products, although sometimes Jobs would be the one taking credit. Even before Jobs had passed, I think Apple was already onto their next big thing.

With Jobs and Ive there, they had the right ideas (hopefully) and without Jobs, hopefully Ive, Cook and the rest of the crew can put the finishing touches on it. Long Apple.

Bret
    Feb 7 09:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    And will be really in ITM at the open, should these pre-market gains hold :)

Nice work,

Bret
    Feb 7 09:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Huh, that is interesting. Thanks for both replying and going into detail. I'll give this is a shot, seems interesting. A lot of volume for high priced stocks like GOOG, AMZN, AAPL, and PCLN lies within the derivatives market. IE: options.

Thanks again,

Bret
    Feb 6 11:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    sheldond...bing! Bing! Bing! You got it my friend!

Is growth slowing? Sure, it's right there in the numbers. But did Apple just sell 47 MILLION iPhones and 22 MILLLION iPads last quarter?!

Yes! The growth is slowing and I magnified that in the article. But just because a car is going 200 mph and is now going 180 mph, doesn't mean it is slow, just because it has SLOWED down.

I think it's foolish to be unloaded shares in this level. Completely foolish. Between the cash on hand, future products/markets and the deeply undervalued state of Apple, I'm certainly a buyer.

It's a case of lower-risk, higher-reward. Appreciate the alien-oriented comment :)

Bret
    Feb 6 09:42 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Christopher,

I love options and I'm sure many readers here do as well. If you don't mind, could you elaborate on this?

Much appreciated,

Bret
    Feb 6 09:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hey Murph,

That's a fair window for estimating. I think the big problem is the chips that they need. Qualcomm is working on them, but some analysts don't expect them to be ready until second half 2013.

Thanks for the input!

Bret
    Feb 6 09:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hey Guys, thanks for the comments. I think Cook is less "dominating" than Jobs was. While this is both a blessing and a curse, I think it is a blessing in the CHL deal because Cook is more likely to get a deal worked out, without haggling over details that would potential ruin the deal by squeezing every penny out of CHL.

I believe the main problem is the chip. But as we speak Qualcomm is making a chip that will work for iPhones in China -- I believe. So hopefully this coupled with Cook's down to earth-ness, will be able to get a deal worked out.
    Feb 6 09:35 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Where Do Shareholders Go From Here? [View article]
    My thoughts are this, how many Apple bears were calling the top? Probably none (or few), at least with their own wallets. Now that Apple has actually fallen -- a lot -- they're all over.

Like I said, sentiment is negative everywhere you look. I think Apple recovers from this. I wrote about that last week. But with a crack of $500, the charts look pitiful. I wouldn't sell, I wouldn't add (unless it's at maybe $450 or lower) until the earnings report/conference call.

Appreciate the comments!

Bret
    Jan 17 01:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Where Do Shareholders Go From Here? [View article]
    Agree Skippy. I posted a reply to someone's comment who must have removed it. But essentially he viewed my article as bearish.

I wouldn't say it's full on bullish, but it certainly is slightly bullish. I would wait for the earnings report to see what's really going on. But I think Apple has a ton a potential when (not if) a deal gets done with China Mobile.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see why the Chinese wouldn't want the iPhone, as many seem to suggest -- for whatever reason.

Thanks for the comment,

Bret
    Jan 17 01:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Where Do Shareholders Go From Here? [View article]
    GRJ,

I think you are misinterpreting the article. I think it would be unwise to sell Apple at these levels. If demand is shriveling and Apple is not as appealing to consumers as it once was, then I would sell the stock. If it is simply have supply trouble due to other factors, then I would certainly hold on to this stock.

My suggestion was to neither buy OR sell the stock, but rather, hold it. Apple has made so many people so much money over the past several years that I think it has earned the right to explain itself. It has earned the benefit of the doubt.

My suggestion is to hold the stock through earnings. Listen to the conference call. I repeat, LISTEN TO THE CONFERENCE CALL. You'll find everything you need from that alone, regardless of a top or bottom line miss.

Management will tell you what's going on. If demand is falling, if orders are slow, if they are doing well, doing poor. You will find out in this call and know whether to buy, hold or sell your shares. If no one wants the product, I'd sell. If demand is strong (and I suspect it still is) but supply was the issue, I would buy.

That's just me personally, but hey, everyone's different. My advice is not to sell the fear and loathing.

Hope this helps clarify things. I hope the article does not strike others the same way it struck you.

Bret
    Jan 17 12:47 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Much Ado About Apple: Why The Pessimists Are Wrong [View article]
    DJ,

Let me first state that I am certainly a believer in the charts. I use fundamental analysis to pick a side, and the charts to pick an entry. I don't favor the bull side or the bear side, and frankly, try and keep it emotionless.

That being said, SA does not like a focus on TA. That's just the way it is. Believe it or not, many times have I and others been turned down because or ideas were too short term or based on too much TA. They want their articles to be based on fundamentals, with no more than a brief breakdown on the TA side of things.

Selling premium works best when there is less than 45 days remaining. Any more and the risks could start to outweigh the reward. In the article, I do suggest writing puts when the stock is closer to $500 and outlined what a trade similar to that would look like by using an ATM example.

Apple has appeared weak, obviously, as you did state. Momentum is down and there is no doubt Apple will have trouble recapturing it the upside. But I think they've got a few years left of solid, double digit growth (again pending a new device and a deal with CHL) and that is currently trading at a discount relative to its earnings.

Thanks for your comment and suggestions,

Bret