Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Much Ado About Apple: Why The Pessimists Are Wrong [View article]
    Nice work Chenmj. Selling puts can be a great way of gaining exposure to long stock. Getting paid to enter doesn't always work out, but often times it does! Good move.

Robehifi -- Thanks for the kind words! I truly appreciate them!

Cheers,

Bret
    Jan 3 08:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Much Ado About Apple: Why The Pessimists Are Wrong [View article]
    And thank you for the kind words! We too are big Apple users!

Bret
    Jan 3 08:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Much Ado About Apple: Why The Pessimists Are Wrong [View article]
    The stock always seem to trade at a discount, at least in my opinion. Not always, but many times. Then I think -- like you said -- all of sudden investors were worried about future growth, thinking it was over. Perhaps it is -- in 5 years. 10 years. But not today. There's a lot more iPhones to sell before that!

Thanks for commenting,

Bret
    Jan 3 08:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Much Ado About Apple: Why The Pessimists Are Wrong [View article]
    Excellent point wdchil and I appreciate your kind words. I previously wrote an article about Apple that referenced the same survey as the one above by Goldman. Here is what I wrote, which might help with your comment:

"The survey from Goldman Sachs also noted that analysts believe each iOS user is approximately valued at $1,053. The firm has projected that this will point to at least $295 billion in future profits. This figure is not based off the "likely" or "highly likely" category. This figure ($295 billion) is derived from the 21% who would "not switch devices at any cost." This makes it very clear that Apple has an extremely strong loyalty base.

Another survey, this time by UBS, would indicate that over 30% of Android users plan to make the iPhone their next purchase. Furthermore, they suggest that 89% of Apple's iPhone users plan to stick with the smartphone maker as their next purchase. Though Apple likely can't and won't thrive forever, retaining 90% of its users, while adding 30% of competitors' users, will only beef up the balance sheet."

If that interested you, the rest of the article can be read here: http://seekingalpha.co...

Thanks for commenting!

Bret
    Jan 3 08:50 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Much Ado About Apple: Why The Pessimists Are Wrong [View article]
    Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate them, relayer75 and pagreen1966!

Bret
    Jan 3 08:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Much Ado About Apple: Why The Pessimists Are Wrong [View article]
    Clayton, it seems to be the best way!! Well at least in the land of the ETF's! They need a QCOM, AAPL, Samsung ETF!!
    Jan 3 08:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: 2013 Will Be Rewarding To Shareholders [View article]
    "The iPhone is nothing more than a luxury bauble that will appeal to a few gadget freaks. In terms of its impact on the industry, the iPhone is less relevant. [...] Apple will sell a few to its fans, but the iPhone won't make a long-term mark on the industry. "

Apple must have about 30 million new fans a quarter then.

Great work digging up all these old funny lines from a few years back. Hopefully they just didn't buy Apple, rather than shorting it!!

Thanks for the morning laugh :)
    Dec 22 11:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Apple An Income Stock? Depends [View article]
    We all know they certainly have the cash to do so!
    Dec 7 08:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Be Long Apple Without Buying Apple [View article]
    takeone1,

Nice point -- I agree. For me, I'm an options guy so something like that would fit me better personally. But I was looking for ways for investors to avoid volatility, but still get exposure to Apple without the lost sleep.

That's not disregarding your point at all however, For a few thousand dollars you can buy a deep-in-the-money call/put or have 10 shares...your choice. I'd prefer the ITM call/put, but a lot of folks aren't comfortable using options, especially of significant value. That's why I was seeking alternatives.

Bret
    Nov 30 12:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Be Long Apple Without Buying Apple [View article]
    wdchil,

Thanks. I'll check it out. Disappointing that my broker-provided info is wrong, but I appreciate the correction. I'll send in a notification today.

Also, thanks for the full stats. I just did a broad "Top 10" to show what was the biggest weight in the fund, but knowing more of the specifics can be quite handy. Thanks for the input!

Bret
    Nov 30 11:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Be Long Apple Without Buying Apple [View article]
    Streak Marine,

Your input is meaningful. It just bothers when people write an article and then have some readers come along with just mean, rude things to say. Not constructive disagreements.

If you disagree, that's one thing. But to comment on someone's work saying it's worthless, a waste of time, and complete crap...it's rude. And unnecessary. Some of the comments from earlier, it's just unnecessary.

You're right, with the less hostility thing. But I think the author has a right to defend their work when someone degrades it to nothing based upon pure disagreement, you know?
    Nov 30 10:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Be Long Apple Without Buying Apple [View article]
    Bailinnumberguy,

Education is a whole different story. Personally, I think the whole system is flawed and needs to be changed. Education is obviously important, no ones saying that. But I also don't think $10-20K/year is fair from a slew of mediocre schools. Especially when you find recent graduates working at Toys-R-Us and delivering pizza for Jet's.

Not that there's anything wrong with those jobs or the people that work them, but when you pay $60-100K+ in school tuition, you expect a slightly different career path to emerge.
    Nov 30 10:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Be Long Apple Without Buying Apple [View article]
    Yes I'm serious. To limit downside risk, yes you could buy 1 share. So you limit the dollar loss, but on a percentage basis you could still lose 50%. Losing +30% with any amount of shares is a bad thing no matter what.

MSFT. Really? More volatile. MSFT. A blue chip company with little, little volatility. By being part of a fund, like the QQQ, you are exposed to a lot of companies, WHICH IS A GOOD THING, for diversification and volatility purposes.

Go ahead, look at the chart. Plot Apple and QQQ on the same chart, and just by percentage swings, tell me which is less or more volatile.

And oh my, I am dearly worried I ticked you off -- I could care less. The one who commented with demeaning words, ticked me off. But so what? I'm sure you don't care, right?

I have an idea. You disagree with blatant facts. While you may not agree with owning something else (QQQ) over Apple shares, it doesn't make the idea behind it wrong. You CAN own something with significant exposure to Apple with LESS volatility. Look at the relative performance between QQQ and SPY, and convince me that it doesn't outperform it.

These are facts. I'm sorry, but cold-hard facts. So you disagree. That's cool, you're entitled to your own opinion. We're not going to agree, and clearly we don't see eye-to-eye. Why don't we just leave it at that.
    Nov 30 10:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Be Long Apple Without Buying Apple [View article]
    The suppliers is another good route to take when investing in Apple. Like QCOM, who is a main chip supplier to Apple. I like QCOM for a lot of reasons.
    1, they are a huge supplier to Apple. 2. They see so much demand they can't keep up, so they collect royalties from BRCM and others as they make them too. 3. They produce for more than just iPhone and iPad, diversifying the risk and spreading out their production in case iPhone's aren't cool next year ;)

As lanning said below, thanks for the sensible comment to this article
    Nov 30 08:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Be Long Apple Without Buying Apple [View article]
    Thanks for the comment DutchJay, and the kind words. But yes, Beta can be nice to use at a glance, and for insuring a larger portfolio as a whole, but can be misleading at times too. Obviously Apple does not trade with approximately the same volatility as the S&P 500.
    Nov 30 08:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment