Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Be Long Apple Without Buying Apple [View article]
    aparo201,

That's a really great question actually. Here's my thoughts on it and I did go through the different portfolios of the two. Of XLK top 10 holdings, 7 are in the QQQ top 10 holdings. The three that aren't are: Verizon (VZ), AT&T (T) and IBM.

The main advantage of the QQQ is that is has outperformed the XLK over the 1, 3, 5 and 10 year period. Over the 10 year it has vastly outperformed the XLK.

Aside from that, it does about 3-4 times the volume, thus tighter spreads in the options market and more liquidity, but I don't that's a huge issue.

XLK does have a better dividend yield, so if that's important, you might want to consider that. I would hold QQQ mainly for growth purposes. If you want income there are far better places to look, IMO.

That's essentially it. You could invest in either one and still get the same exposure to Apple. QQQ is bigger and has performed better, which is the reason I would choose it over XLK.

Thanks for great comment!

Bret
    Nov 29 04:46 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Be Long Apple Without Buying Apple [View article]
    Another Apple perma-bull. New you guys would be roaming about!

Please SidSilver, with all your financial knowledge, enlighten me on what the shame is in finding alternative ways to invest in Apple, while limiting potential downside risks? Where's the harm, seriously?

If you invested in QQQ rather than AAPL, you did not do as well, but did far better than if you were invested in SPY, as Clayton noted above. The QQQ holder suffered much less volatility along the way.

After just a brisk walk through your recent comments, is that all you do...stroll around SA just bashing people? Perhaps you missed the whole point of a website like this, to help each other contribute to enriching our financial knowledge. Which, as you clearly miss obvious points, I will notify you that you have indeed, not done so.

To quote you, "thanks for today's laugh."
    Nov 29 02:09 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Be Long Apple Without Buying Apple [View article]
    That's an interesting comment UbeenFranked. Actually, that's incorrect. Seeking Alpha has paid me for this article, and I have recommended an index. You've even contributed to me being paid. $.01 to be exact.

Thank you for such valuable input however. It has really added to the comment section by helping, educating, and enhancing the readers' experience :)

I'll even leave your comment 'Abuse-free' to show the ignorance of your comment. Maybe we exchange follows?
    Nov 29 12:51 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Be Long Apple Without Buying Apple [View article]
    To answer your question, sort of. If you own QQQ, you are effectively long 20% AAPL. Yes, you could invest 20% in AAPL, but the goal is to reduce volatility, while still being able to ride AAPL higher.

Thanks for the inquiry,

Bret
    Nov 29 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Be Long Apple Without Buying Apple [View article]
    What's up Clayton?

The only sourced I checked was with my broker. I'll look around at some other sites and if it's wrong, I'll have it edited. Thanks for the point out.

Bret
    Nov 29 12:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple To $1,000? 1 Main Catalyst [View article]
    Ronin...easily put: If he wasn't short AAPL for the ride down, it's not really taking a stance. It's easy to wonder into a comment section, say you think such and such will decline and take credit when it does.

I have a feeling that if Apple were $850 right now, he wouldn't be here saying, "I called for Apple to fall, which it didn't. I was wrong." Just my 2 cents on the whole thing, but it what it is. Don't let it bother you :)

Bret
    Nov 20 12:46 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple To $1,000? 1 Main Catalyst [View article]
    Always easy to come back and brag when you're right. Sure one would do the same when wrong 3 months later. MSFT isn't having the best ride either, FWIW:

Nov 19 11:45 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Use Apple's Cash To Your Advantage [View article]
    "Anyone who thinks Apple's best days are still ahead are just stupid. I am not saying they are going to decline..."

Soooo what are you saying then?
    Nov 16 11:59 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • In Favor Of An Apple Stock Split [View article]
    Those trying to trick themselves into thinking Apple is the next Berkshire Hathaway are dead wrong.
    Sep 8 06:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • In Favor Of An Apple Stock Split [View article]
    Regardless of whether it makes mathematical sense, it's how it works. The split does nothing other than psychologically make the stock appear cheaper, although the value of the company isn't altered one bit.
    Sep 8 06:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • In Favor Of An Apple Stock Split [View article]
    Excellent comment!

It appears as though I have offended some of the long-term investors. I'm sorry if you were one of them. It wasn't (and isn't) aimed at ALL long term investors, but rather some of them. I have done my own conversing, reading and researching to find that it is true among some (not all) of the long term investors.

But yes, Cook is and has been doing things differently than the late Steve Jobs, and an inclusion in the Dow may be what he seeks next. Only time will tell!

Thanks for commenting:) Appreciate the insight!

Bret
    Sep 7 02:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • In Favor Of An Apple Stock Split [View article]
    That's an interesting theory. Not in an attempt to boost my previous articles by 1-view, but I wrote two recently on the iPad and iPhone you might find interesting.

Good points!!

Bret
    Sep 7 01:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • In Favor Of An Apple Stock Split [View article]
    While I'm aware Cook has said this and that it may not be soon, does not mean it won't happen. Apple, historically is very "hush-hush" with their plans on what they're going to do. Just my opinion.

Bret
    Sep 7 12:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • In Favor Of An Apple Stock Split [View article]
    cheers to that!

Bret
    Sep 7 12:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • In Favor Of An Apple Stock Split [View article]
    I am primarily an options trader as well, so glad to have your input :)

I agree 4:1 or 6:1 would be good too, that 10:1 might be an overkill, but it depends on if the goal is to get into the Dow or not.

And no, the strike prices would not be $1 intervals, they would likely be $2.50 intervals. You look at the SPY, which trades north of $140, and they have dollar intervals. Just sayin' !

Bret