Bret Kenwell

View Bret Kenwell's Comments BY TICKER:
  • In Favor Of An Apple Stock Split [View article]
    Despicable,

There are pros and cons to everything. But yes, in my mind Apple will have a much easier time getting to 100 rather than 1000. Who knows whether they'll do it or not though!

Thanks for commenting!
    Sep 7 11:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • In Favor Of An Apple Stock Split [View article]
    Goofydon and digger5,

I know what you're saying. Trust me, I get it :) ! But it's imperative for others to note that there ARE investors out there that got in Apple when it was $8, $10, $25 a share. Now with it approaching $700 they feel as though they "are just happy" with the stock where it is.

Since they did the homework and they found the early growth, they are just fine with how things stand now. They think it's the next Berkshire (It's not) and are against a split.

Believe me, I think it's ridiculous. But I have read enough comments, talked with enough people and gone through enough forums to know that this group exists, however silly it may be.

Thanks for the comments!!

Bret
    Sep 7 10:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • In Favor Of An Apple Stock Split [View article]
    Well with it tacking on billions in market cap the last few weeks I don't think it's as undervalued as it was say, 8 months ago. But I still think Apple is a growth & value stock.

I'm not saying there's anything that limits the little guy to buying Apple. Or that Apple is expensive because of it's share price (rather than value). But it's true, whether you want to believe it or not, that many little guys won't buy AAPL near $700/share because that's just too expensive for them. Whether or not it's a good value or not.

All I'm saying is that there's a lot of people who won't buy it because of the price tag on it. It could have a PE of 1 and if it costs $700, a lot of people still won't buy it. A split doesn't effect the value of the company, but it has an immense psychological effect on the little guy.

Also, it's not nonsense that the little guy can't afford 100 shares of Apple. I know plenty of folks who couldn't dish out $70,000 for a simple lot of Apple shares. And many who can, would have HUGE risk by allocating so much of the portfolio to Apple. Again, not all, but a lot.
    Sep 7 09:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • In Favor Of An Apple Stock Split [View article]
    That is a huge one for the options players. It's hard to do covered calls on something that will, like you said, run you nearly 70 grand. Most traders/investors can't do that. Even trading the options has large premiums.

Think about this: If you bought 1000 shares at like 15 bucks or somewhere around there. Yeah, you'd have a hell of a killing in the capital gains, but you'd be able to write 10 covered calls every month. Or do a combination of front months and weeklies. One could literally bring in thousands of dollars in premium.

Thanks for the great input!

Bret
    Sep 7 09:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • In Favor Of An Apple Stock Split [View article]
    I'm sorry--I must be missing your point? At one standard did I say Apple was a sell? Or even just "Not a buy"? I don't have to re-read it to know that I didn't.

I did however clarify that a split adds nor takes away any intrinsic value. It's change is only in price, therefore only psychological. Take it how you will but if you read my other articles you will know I am bullish Apple.
    Sep 7 09:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • In Favor Of An Apple Stock Split [View article]
    Like I said, it's not that all feel that way, but unfortunately some do. I have spoken with enough people, read enough comments and surfed enough forums. Glad you humbly aren't one of them:) But that's just how it is. That is literally the reasoning behind not splitting the stock for some.
    Sep 7 09:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple To $1,000? 1 Main Catalyst [View article]
    I have done and seen some research that suggest Sept. is not a very good month for stock in general, and is usually Apple's worst month.

Then a rally for about 6 months. I will be a buyer of the Sept. Apple dip should it appear.
    Sep 4 08:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple To $1,000? 1 Main Catalyst [View article]
    HA! same here MC.

My Internet has prevented from getting on here, now there are 40+ comments. A lot of it looks like back-and-forth between other users comments, so that makes it easy! Also, a lot of people ripping into Relic, so I guess I can about halve the comments that would need a response :)

Might just let the great users and viewers of SA hold control of the comments section ;)

Hope you enjoyed,

Bret
    Aug 28 11:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why A Mini iPad Will Kill The Kindle [View article]
    Haha, John, 3rd person Maverick isn't worth the time to argue with. He brings fraudulent facts to the table along with bogus remarks. I tried, not worth the effort.
    Aug 24 11:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why A Mini iPad Will Kill The Kindle [View article]
    Ronin/Banker,

Yes, I would think it all Ipad's (assuming multiple sizes) would be a great function for the iTV. The interesting point about the education system was a biggie for Jobs. He would go to colleges and universities and see those kids that do 2 or 3 classes in a row. Some classes need more than one book, or have a huge one. This left kids carrying 30 or 40 lbs of books sometimes.

Jobs noticed this instantly and wanted to make a big push into the books and university books situation via the iPad. He semi has completed that, but I think Apple will make a Huge dent in that space if they can get the publishers on board. As you guys were saying, lower education would be huge too, for the younger kids. Smaller size and cheaper will help the school budgets and the kids as well.

Lastly the "gutter project." Assuming Apple made the Mini to be a great product in a market that people would want, rather than making to create a ballooning profit, Jobs would stand behind it. He always believe in beating his own products, and while most people never would, he did it because he knew if he didn't someone else would. Hopefully Cook shares his mindset. Not just for the mini but all products in general.

Bret
    Aug 21 08:31 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why A Mini iPad Will Kill The Kindle [View article]
    Mike--

My point wasn't that they were literally the very first company to create a tablet. My point was, before Apple the table space essentially didn't matter. And it's true. Apple revolutionized that, as you acknowledged, and are constantly (and always will be trying to) innovate to continue their success. Whether they can do that has yet to be seen, but thus far they've been great at it.

I think if there is a smaller tablet market, which there is, Apple should be in it. There's not a whole of reasons not too. This is tech, and in tech you can't afford to be lazy, arrogant or stubborn. Especially all three.
    Aug 12 08:00 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why A Mini iPad Will Kill The Kindle [View article]
    gtmacd,

Apple was too late to this party? With all due respect, Apple created this party! Apple built this castle where the party is being thrown. Before Apple a tablet was only a pill. By late to the party I assume you mean the 7-inch tablet, but without Apple there would be a No-Inch tablet.

Like I've said in previous writings, It's not that the other products suck. They're good I'm sure--though my personal experience aside--their just not Apple. Apple is the innovator of every recent, significant technological move in a personal stance. They revolutionized cell phones, (though some companies almost did), the created the tablet world and before the iPod, MP3 were a joke, an absolute joke. I would've rather sported my Sony Walkman.

They might not kill the competition in the mini tablet space the way they have in the normal tablet arena, but they will do damn good, you can count on that. And they will have a better jump than you think, by having 3 generations of tablets out already. I have no doubts that the Nexus 7 is a good device. It's just not an Apple. And an Apple is what everyone seemingly wants.

I appreciate the comment, and disclosure. It shows that your humbled opinion is an honest one and I commend you for that. Though my stance may be different, I respect your opinion and appreciate you taking the time to show it, as your first comment. I hope you come to enjoy and learn from SA.

Cheers,

Bret
    Aug 10 11:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • No One Wants The iPhone? Think Again [View article]
    Ronin,

You are correct in noting that they have not been rewarded with a higher P/E, despite the fact their margins are so much higher. I think this is party do the the price tag. Though cheap on an earnings basis (or value basis) Apple is still $600 a share.

There are a lot of retailer investors not willing or not able to shell out $60K for 100 shares of Apple. Unfortunately, or maybe even fortunately depending on how you look at it, Apple trades more its price than it does on its fundamentals, IMO.

Thanks for the insight,

Bret
    Aug 10 10:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why A Mini iPad Will Kill The Kindle [View article]
    sqt,

That sort of falls in line with what I'm saying. Whether many current iPad users will also acquire the Mini is a debatable topic. But in my mind, if someone where to go to the store with the intention of purchasing a mini tablet, would you buy the iPad Mini? Or any of the other carriers? I just don't see how many people would walk out with anything but the iPad Mini.

When people go into the store now looking for a tablet, they don't walk out with a Samsung Galaxy or anything else do they? No. They walk out with an iPad.

Thanks for the comment! Cheers,

Bret
    Aug 10 09:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why A Mini iPad Will Kill The Kindle [View article]
    wgt46,

Who knows where it is stated, by somewhere I commented that Apple will sit atop the technology consumer market for a long time. Until someone comes along with a better product or the slip up on their own. I think the latter has a better chance as of now. Apple owns tech, but usually one cannot stay at the top forever, so we shall see. I am a fan and support of Apple from now and into the future.

Thanks for commenting. Appreciate it! Cheers,