Brett Owens

View Brett Owens' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Chip Stocks Slammed as PC Orders 'Fall Off a Cliff' [View article]
    Re: bad news being already priced in - to be honest I don't know. When bad news fails to drive down stock prices, that'd be a good indicator that most of the doom/gloom is already baked into the stock prices.

In Intel's case - it's falling on good news - I'd say that's not a good sign.

On the other hand, you've found a lot of potential value tech plays - I'm sure there are some good values there. As a whole though I think the sector and stock market as a whole is overvalued - wake me up when P/E's are below 10 and stocks are yielding 6% dividends, like they do at most historic bear market bottoms.

But yes you're right, that doesn't mean there are not good values at the individual stock level.
    Aug 13 01:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Richard Russell Disagrees with Robert Prechter About Gold, US Dollar [View instapost]
    Agree on gold - is it money? A safe haven? Inflation hedge? Personally I have no clue!
    Aug 13 01:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you Danny, great points!
    Aug 13 01:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market Action: Deflation is Back! [View instapost]
    Cheers Bron!! Yes the patience paid off indeed, and the market has not yet gotten off the mat today, so we'll see if we've got more nasty stuff ahead!
    Aug 12 12:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chip Stocks Slammed as PC Orders 'Fall Off a Cliff' [View article]
    What tech stocks are trading for a P/E multiple sub 5 today?
    Aug 11 02:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chip Stocks Slammed as PC Orders 'Fall Off a Cliff' [View article]
    If you're itching for a contrarian trading/investing opportunity, I wouldn't look at Intel long or short then. There are too many people watching and analyzing stocks like Intel to gain an edge either way, IMHO.

I am trying to point out that if you trade Intel merely based on news and fundamentals, you are toast, because the real smart knowledge is already baked into the stock price.
    Aug 11 01:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Markets Breaking Down from their Rising Wedges [View instapost]
    Great analysis Andy, I'll agree with Bron, am with you on this as well.

Combine the rising wedges with the newfound bullishness, and it sure looks like we're ripe for some sort of decline. Will be interesting to see if it is violent enough to take out the July 1 lows.
    Aug 6 06:47 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Aren't Long Term Interest Rates Skyrocketing? [View article]
    Yessir, learned that one the hard way - over and over again!
    Aug 6 01:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Aren't Long Term Interest Rates Skyrocketing? [View article]
    I'm with you - I'm piling cash under my mattress, waiting for the breakout in TBT!
    Aug 6 01:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is a Big Decline in Equities Ahead? [View article]
    I just saw 73% S&P bulls reported on the Daily Sentiment Index by trade-futures.com. So I'd say right now the short side is the less crowded play.
    Aug 4 07:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is a Big Decline in Equities Ahead? [View article]
    Right on Bron, good luck brother!
    Aug 4 12:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is a Big Decline in Equities Ahead? [View article]
    Thanks Bildar! Appreciate it - though admittedly, I was either early or wrong on the current call :) Same thing thus far - we'll see how things tip from here.

In my reading today I've seen a few "permabears" switch their short term outlook to mildly bullish, because of the S&P topping it's MA. So we shall see, but I have to think that the long side is pretty crowded right now, at least from a short term perspective.
    Aug 3 06:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is a Big Decline in Equities Ahead? [View article]
    Precisely! Markets drive the news. Most investors think it's the opposite.
    Aug 3 04:09 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is a Big Decline in Equities Ahead? [View article]
    Thanks Bildar, and please do keep me in the loop on your research into comments as a sentiment indicator!
    Aug 3 04:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Renting vs Buying - 7 Reasons You Should Never Buy a Home [View instapost]
    Thanks and wow, that is an awesome reduction - and yeah, probably best kept as cash under the mattress for now :) Or very short term paper via TreasuryDirect.gov. Not a lot of enticing options but in a few years our cash should continue to grow in value as asset prices continue to decline all around us.
    Aug 1 01:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment