Brian Bain

View Brian Bain's Comments BY TICKER:

• CARBO Ceramics: Not Dead Yet [View article]
    Frac4Crude,

Interesting to hear that you already bought in. I've been working with the expectation that CRR probably won't see much recovery until 2016. That said, the stock could lead the company in recovery.

Apr 30, 2015. 12:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Twitter On The 18% Drop [View article]
    jasonphos,

Thanks for your comment and feedback. You bring up some great points that remind me all the more how much potential is here if the right management could be put in place to unlock it. TBD whether or not that will happen.

Apr 30, 2015. 08:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Twitter On The 18% Drop [View article]
    jeanlc,

Thanks for your comment and encouragement. At this point, Twitter stands alone in what it offers in the social media space. We learned from Google+ that taking market share from an established platform is not easy. Twitter has real challenges, but I believe the potential makes it worth a small position, as noted in the article.

Apr 30, 2015. 08:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Twitter On The 18% Drop [View article]
    cactiman,

Thanks for weighing in with your comment. Your note on the trading range is a helpful addition to the conversation. Was $40 the best entry price for me? Looks like I could have done a bit better, but if it does fall to $30, I could average in at a lower price. If it turns into a bust, then I'm still quite all right. The benefits of starting with a small position.

Apr 30, 2015. 08:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Bulls Won't Get Fooled Again [View article]
    Dana,

Nice, balanced article, thanks Dana. I appreciate your fair comments as well. I think Twitter's stock is in limbo world as people try to take guesses at valuations.

As I mentioned in my article, investing in Twitter at this point based on financials and valuation doesn't make a lot of sense. This is an issue of story and potential, two things that management has so far not been able to translate into dollars and two things that can be difficult to put a value on. Plenty of obstacles ahead.

You are probably right that I may have made my purchase too soon, but I suppose mad money can allow for that :)

Apr 29, 2015. 10:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Twitter On The 18% Drop [View article]
    Sin sin sinner,

Thanks! One of great benefits of writing on SA is getting feedback. No article I write is perfect. You are right, talking about valuation could have made the article more well-rounded. At the same time, not all articles are meant to cover every angle. The purpose of this article was to highlight the potential and notable challenges in front of Twitter. In the end, I thought a small speculative position was warranted.

Could the stock fall further? Absolutely, it already has. Could the investment end up as a bust? Absolutely, that is why it is a small speculative position. This is a rare move for me, but in this case I felt like the potential was worth it, on a small speculative level.

Thanks for your contribution. I look forward to hearing from you and learning with you in the future.

Apr 29, 2015. 06:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Twitter On The 18% Drop [View article]
    jthegolfer,

I agree, Twitter management has yet to get a grasp on their identity or a means of monetization.

Apr 29, 2015. 05:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Twitter On The 18% Drop [View article]
    wantedtoretireearly,

Thanks for your kind words. Those examples are notable memories for me as well, but as many commenters have reminded us, they do not guarantee success for Twitter. They do provide some positive perspective, but as mentioned in the article, those companies are not Twitter and there are plenty of corresponding examples that have failed.

You have caught the main point in sharing the examples, which I appreciate. That is the fact that common consensus on all of those companies at one time was that they were "done for" to some degree. Anyway, enough from.

Twitter has exciting potential and lots of challenges. We shall see.

Thanks again, wantedtoretireearly.

Apr 29, 2015. 02:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Twitter On The 18% Drop [View article]
    leonikki123,

Thanks for your comment. As mentioned, Twitter has plenty of challenges and may eventually succumb to them. Even so, there is great potential there.

Apr 29, 2015. 02:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Twitter On The 18% Drop [View article]
    lolwth,

Don't need to, thank you. Reading the article and ensuing comments speak clearly to this issue and my corresponding thoughts.

All the same, thanks for your contribution and for looking out for me.

Apr 29, 2015. 02:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • CARBO Ceramics: Not Dead Yet [View article]
    P Br,

Thanks for your comment, I'm glad you have been able to enjoy this thread as much as I have. SA at its best IMO.
    Apr 29, 2015. 12:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • CARBO Ceramics: Not Dead Yet [View article]
    frogmaier,

Thanks for weighing in. You are very bullish indeed, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.
    Apr 29, 2015. 12:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Twitter On The 18% Drop [View article]
    KoacNation,

Thanks for your comment. You're right, in hindsight this may have been a better article if I had noted counter-arguments with bad investments. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

I appreciate your encouragement all the same and agree, very speculative and not something I would want to make a core position, as noted in the article.

Twitter has great potential, IMO, but management has shown little ability to capitalize on that. Again, more reasons the investment is speculative.

Apr 29, 2015. 11:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Twitter On The 18% Drop [View article]
    KoacNation,

I appreciate your comment, you raise real critiques and challenges facing the company. If there were not real challenges like these, I would not refer to my purchase as a "small speculative investment" that represents a small portion of my portfolio.

I also noted in the article agreement with you that the potential in the company could potentially not materialize.

Apr 29, 2015. 11:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Twitter On The 18% Drop [View article]
    cytrax,

Thanks for your comment. The main argument for the purchase is the potential I believe Twitter has, albeit in the midst of notable obstacles. The "comparisons" to other companies were simply addressing other come from behind stocks. As I said in the article, I'm not saying Twitter is equal to these companies.

As for the falling knife, you could be right.

Apr 29, 2015. 10:56 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment