Brian Barbour

View Brian Barbour's Comments BY TICKER:

• My Bet On Seeking Alpha's Future [View article]
    Thank you for creating this wonderful community. I have been using this site for around 2 years now and it has been a great place to share ideas and learn some life long lessons, not to mention the great UI with news and portfolio information!

On top of that I recently got my first article for SA published only the other day, after never having imagined being a contributor. I will try to hopefully share some insights and lessons I have learned over the years through many articles in the future!
    Jul 2, 2015. 12:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Dumping Apple Makes Sense For Immediate Growth' - Or Does It? [View article]
    Thanks. I completely understand the retirees need for cash, however retirees can be at completely different points in their life with different financial needs.

Many retirees might have only just retired and have a good amount of cash for the first few years after stopping work, or they might have been retired for over 15 years. These two people might be looking for entirely different strategies.

Some others have commented about the Yield on cost, but all have talked about it being at an instantaneous point in time. I am concerned about that yield on cost GROWTH over a period of time. I believe retirees need to take this into account because if you are not growing your income fast enough, it will be eaten away by inflation.

Furthermore, the article was aimed more at the younger generation as I see Apple being able to increase their dividends by a greater % over a long period of time than AT&T.
    Jul 2, 2015. 05:45 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    If I want to sell them? - no thanks
    Jul 2, 2015. 05:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Dumping Apple Makes Sense For Immediate Growth' - Or Does It? [View article]
    Thank you all for the feedback, really appreciate it. I have started working on my next article.
    Jul 1, 2015. 01:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Dumping Apple Makes Sense For Immediate Growth' - Or Does It? [View article]
    I believe that apple would have limited rationale downside. Do remember that they have nearly $200b in cash and equivalents at the moment. This would provide a huge opportunity to buy back shares cheaply if the price did retract.
    Jul 1, 2015. 07:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Dumping Apple Makes Sense For Immediate Growth' - Or Does It? [View article]
    I think in your situation it is very wise to own both. I think if you are middle aged, the best thing to do is to be prepared for your retirement when it comes, not start thinking about it when it happens.

I think you will do absolutely fine with both companies.
    Jul 1, 2015. 07:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Dumping Apple Makes Sense For Immediate Growth' - Or Does It? [View article]
    I believe there are many good companies out there, however the increase in share price between 'good' and 'great' companies over a long period of time can still be massive.

I know that past returns will not be the same as future returns but just to give an idea of the performance difference in these two companies. Since June 1984 Apple has returned 28,277% in capital appreciation, whereas AT&T has only returned 616%. Obviously this does not include all the dividends so AT&T's return would be significantly above 616%, however I greatly prefer cashing in on capital gains rather than dividend income. This is because I try to use up my ISA limit, which is tax free. However, I still have to pay US taxes on dividends and a 10% tax credit on UK companies.

I want to maximise gains over the long haul. I would feel as if I had lost money by investing in AT&T compared to Apple over that time frame.
    Jul 1, 2015. 07:33 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    noted.

Make sure to bring your raincoat!
    Jul 1, 2015. 07:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Dumping Apple Makes Sense For Immediate Growth' - Or Does It? [View article]
    thats the date it appeared to the general public.
    Jul 1, 2015. 07:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Dumping Apple Makes Sense For Immediate Growth' - Or Does It? [View article]
    thats a typo, should be 27th June (2015).
    Jul 1, 2015. 07:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Dumping Apple Makes Sense For Immediate Growth' - Or Does It? [View article]
    I used to trade a lot for earnings releases as these would always provide big swings. I realised though over time that it did not really matter if the company "beat" or "missed" EPS and revenue targets, there was always some way to skew the news in any direction.

This mainly happened with internet stocks such as Amazon, FB, Google etc.
    Jul 1, 2015. 07:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Dumping Apple Makes Sense For Immediate Growth' - Or Does It? [View article]
    Armies: this article was a rebuttal article to one by regarded solutions advising to sell apple and buy AT&T. I am arguing to keep apple for the long run.
    Jun 30, 2015. 07:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Dumping Apple Makes Sense For Immediate Growth' - Or Does It? [View article]
    lugoltd- if you have any Apple shares, i'll happily buy the lot from you for $100/share.
    Jun 30, 2015. 06:10 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    sad man:

regarding you question on the iwatch, i won't give you a figure of how many i think they will sell because enough analysts will shout out figures and 95% of them are generally wrong.

What I can say is, I normally try to take notice of those around me to see how popular technology is. To be honest, I haven't seen that many people where I am from in Scotland with an iwatch, so I am generally not expecting huge numbers. Things might be different in the US and around the world. Generally the US leads the way in technology trends such as shown by the iPod, mac, iPhone etc, so the watch might take more time to become popular here.

However, don't focus just on watch sales. Try to find out how many bands, on average, each iwatch buyer is purchasing. This could lead to an increase in profit from that category. However, I can't see people refreshing their watches every 1-2 years like they do with their iphones.

With regards to the stock price, I believe the watch was not anticipated to turn out to be as successful as even the iPad category, so expectations could be particularly low.
    Jun 30, 2015. 06:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Dumping Apple Makes Sense For Immediate Growth' - Or Does It? [View article]
    I understand you completely. I believe that it completely depends on each individual's circumstance and goals. I think that what RS was suggesting could be very useful for some investors, but I am arguing that I don't believe that it would be a wise choice for everyone. (mostly dependant on age)
    Jun 30, 2015. 05:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment