Brian Barbour

View Brian Barbour's Comments BY TICKER:

• Scanning The SA Family For Alpha: AceSwat [View article]
    Anyone who might occasionally look at any financial website would have seen over the past several years many 'pros' predict a market crash.

What I have learnt is that nobody, and not even these 'pros' can predict correctly when exactly a market crash will happen. Crashes do not automatically happen at consistent intervals or when the market reaches a certain P/E number.

Personally, I stopped caring about where the market in general is. I don't own the market, I own my individual companies that are priced independent of the market. As long as you are invested in companies that are not irrationally priced, you should be fine over the long term.
    Aug 1, 2015. 07:18 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Dividend Growth Investing Is Not Always Best [View article]
    Robert Allan Schwartz: Ill try to simplify my conclusion for you.

- Yes, a portfolio of dividend paying stocks is good for those seeking income.
    - Portfolios of dividend stocks can produce good returns.
    - However, not everyone is in the same position (i.e. some are in retirement whereas some are much younger and do not need income from shares to get by)
    - It can make sense for some to invest in non-dividend paying stocks as this will be more tax efficient.
    - dividend growth companies do not necessarily always trump the returns of non dividend payers.

The article is aimed at those on seeking alpha who religiously adhere to a investing philosophy that religiously pursues dividend growth companies, to argue that there are many companies that could provide better returns without actually increasing the risk.

I believe it is better to look at a history of ability to increase operating earnings than a history of dividend increases.
    Aug 1, 2015. 07:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Apple More Vulnerable Than Microsoft To Trends In Mobile? Probably [View article]
    Look who's back
    Jul 30, 2015. 11:27 AM | 24 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: The Oil Crash Could Be A Dividend Growth Investor's Best Friend Of The Decade [View article]
    oh haha, whoops. Writing is going well. My last article turned out pretty well, with lots of varied and good input! One thing I am starting to learn though is that some folk can get quite heated and are not willing to consider any alternative viewpoints that vary from their own.

Will keep them coming though as I think of ideas. The problem at the moment is that I don't see much value in the current US market, so i would not advise (through an article) that investors to buy into US stocks now. Only exceptions might be GM and some of the oil majors. I believe Europe has some solid companies with value though.
    Jul 28, 2015. 11:29 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi there, not quite sure what you mean by that. You mean by considering adding XOM to my portfolio?
    Jul 28, 2015. 10:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    History tends to repeat itself. XOM is certainly going nowhere and will be around for a long time to come.

Valuation is definitely getting attractive.
    Jul 28, 2015. 10:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Dividend Growth Investing Is Not Always Best [View article]
    robert: "If what you said were true, then how could it be that PG has paid (and raised) its dividend for 58 consecutive years, and the price is not only NOT going down toward zero, but is going UP?"

Thats because the dividend payments are not exceeding profit made by the company. If PG were to pay out more in dividends than it makes in profit, then share price would eventually go to zero. Share price continues to go up over the long term as it retains a certain amount of profit that it does not allocate through a dividend.
    Jul 28, 2015. 04:20 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fresenius: Great Growth But Needs To Improve Customer Service [View article]
    Thanks for the mention! I agree that Fresenius is expensive. DVA looks more expensive however that is down to the legal charge this year.

The debt and lack of cash is one of my main concerns with Fresenius.
    Jul 27, 2015. 03:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Dividend Growth Investing Is Not Always Best [View article]
    emac9-

I never said anything about not having a plan. Plans and goals are very two different things.

He was referring to an end goal. I said I don't have an end goal. What I meant by this was that I don't have a figure that I will stop investing, I will be investing my whole life.
    Jul 27, 2015. 03:41 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Dividend Growth Investing Is Not Always Best [View article]
    Market Cap:

I would have to disagree with you on that point. SA is great because it brings together investors' arguments for investing in certain ways. It is extremely beneficial to see both sides of a coin and everyone's viewpoints. There is no 'one rule' for achieving the greatest financial success through investing. If there was everybody would be doing it.
    Jul 27, 2015. 10:58 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Dividend Growth Investing Is Not Always Best [View article]
    Robert:

Absolutely true. However i wouldn't invest just simply because a company has a record of paying increasing dividends. I like to see the company consistently growing 'the ability to pay dividends'. I just feel that investors are limiting their scope when they rule out any non-dividend payer. I hold several dividend aristocrats with the view to holding for very long periods of time.

Again, viewpoints on investing change depending on age and circumstance.
    Jul 27, 2015. 10:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Watch hits Best Buy stores [View news story]
    They sold more watches in the quarter than the iPad and iPhone when they were both released.

You just need to give it some time
    Jul 27, 2015. 09:44 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Dividend Growth Investing Is Not Always Best [View article]
    Kamil- There is also no guarantee that DGI stocks will continue to pay out dividends in the future. It is only probable that a company that has increased its dividend for the past 15 years will do so next year, but not certain. When long term dividend payers do halt or cease their dividend, the share prices get hit hard.
    Jul 26, 2015. 06:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Dividend Growth Investing Is Not Always Best [View article]
    ote:

thanks,

I agree on the banks and oil stocks.

You don't need to know everything. Just stick to what you are comfortable with and understand best.

I didn't know about Gilead until Bret Jenson wrote about it. Read up and researched what I could on it. Still think its a very good play.
    Jul 26, 2015. 09:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Dividend Growth Investing Is Not Always Best [View article]
    Mike:

I think the US will perform very well over the next 40 years. It creates some of the best talent in the world, who then go on to create some of the best companies.

I am really not sure about Berkshire. When Buffett and Munger are gone Berkshire things could become very average, or the new management might perform very well. I just don't know. However, i do think many investors will abandon Berkshire immediately once they stop running the show and the share price will fall. That time could become an amazing buying opportunity though if new management does perform.
    Jul 26, 2015. 09:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment