Brian Barbour

View Brian Barbour's Comments BY TICKER:

• Dividends & Income Digest: Sayonara, Summer! [View article]
    Wish you a speedy recovery Alan!
    Sep 5, 2015. 10:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Aberdeen Asset Management: A Dividend Growth Bargain With High Yield To Add To The Young And Cautious Portfolio [View article]
    KayPee:

I would have to strongly disagree. For any investor with an actual long-term outlook on the company and it's fundamentals rather than the day to day movements of the share price it is perfect for a 'cautious' investor.

Volatility is not synonymous with risk.
    Sep 5, 2015. 06:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks. Im waiting for a down day in the market to start a position. Never like buying shares when they are up 2.5% for the day already.
    Sep 3, 2015. 03:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I agree, I think SWIP was a good buy to gain AuM and diversify as well. The purchase was made up mostly of Aberdeen shares with the remainder dependant on the performance of those assets. I think Aberdeen got a good deal there.
    Sep 3, 2015. 03:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Report: Apple plans to unveil iPad Pro, iPad Mini 4 at iPhone event [View news story]
    If there is no innovation then consumers will continue to use whatever the best quality technology is out there. I think apple still holds that crown.
    Sep 2, 2015. 02:59 PM | 16 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • These Are Future Dividend Champions, My Friends [View article]
    When i think about investing in FB i just remember how easy it was for the 'social networking' leaders to disappear. Remember MSN messenger, Myspace, Bebo? pretty much all gone now.
    Aug 31, 2015. 06:55 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • These Are Future Dividend Champions, My Friends [View article]
    A lot of good companies there. Already own Apple and Gilead out of that list. I really want to own Nike, Starbucks and Visa (or Mastercard). I have watched them ride momentum for over a year now without pulling the trigger and have missed out of great gains.

The valuations are just off-putting. Im just going to sit tight and wait for a general bear market.
    Aug 31, 2015. 04:52 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: Did You Freak This Week? [View article]
    Didn't add any to my holdings during the past couple of days however utilised some of the cash in my parent's retirement portfolio.

Doubled positions in XOM, DVA, increased AAPL at approx $70,$74 and $102 respectively. Also added new position in Aberdeen Asset Management at 302p at a 6% yield.

Still don't think we are out of the woods though. Still generally high valuation for US and China is far from fixed.
    Aug 28, 2015. 02:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon expands Prime Now to U.S. alcohol [View news story]
    $1.4b in sales by 2020. Bit far out to correctly guess sales, not too far out that I can guess that no profit gets put on the balance sheet.
    Aug 26, 2015. 08:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Transocean board seeks to suspend dividend [View news story]
    agree. Its tough to watch my holdings go from $40/share to this...But holding out, the industry has always come back. I think it would be foolish to sell your shares now if you still hold them.
    Aug 25, 2015. 05:25 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Transocean board seeks to suspend dividend [View news story]
    user 19562021:

How exactly can they buy their own shares? They are obviously struggling paying their dividend which was recently reduced by 80%. They need to cut all costs to keep the business afloat during this difficult time.

I don't agree that transocean is going to disappear. The industry is highly cyclical and there will always be a need for offshore rigs while oil is around, and Transocean is the biggest offshore driller in the industry.
    Aug 25, 2015. 05:24 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Transocean board seeks to suspend dividend [View news story]
    things are getting beyond brutal for transocean
    Aug 25, 2015. 04:53 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ten Things I Would Have Done If I Were A Seasoned Expert [View article]
    The article is a bit short term focused. Even with those limit orders, many of those companies don't present a good bargain, maybe reasonable value at best.
    Aug 25, 2015. 04:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is The Heat Of This Correction Too Much? Get Out Of The Kitchen Or Start Nibbling Now [View article]
    Seems like we are seeing exactly what i described.
    Aug 25, 2015. 04:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Transocean: No New Contracts; Stubbornly Refuses To Stack Or Scrap [View article]
    Look*