Brian Polino

View Brian Polino's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Brown & Brown Insurance: A Financial Growth Company Despite Turbulent Times [View article]
    Thanks Alex. It's good to be back.
    Sep 12 09:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Iron Mountain Deserves a Second Look [View article]
    Thanks Chris. I've avoided IRM so far.
    Feb 27 07:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tellabs: Playing Dead [View article]
    I can't believe they have that much cash! However, it seems they've always been carrying that much cash (the last five years anyway). What's it going to take to get that cash out of corporate coffers?

Imagine if they did a 1-time 500 mil dividend...that'd be nice.

Great Article!
    Feb 23 01:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Coca-Cola Is 100+ Years Old and Still Growing Strong [View article]
    Well stated. I bought in around 50-51. KO's business model is one of the best I've ever seen. As long as that holds true, I'm an investor. Since nothing has changed but for the better in the last 120 years of KO's history, I can't imagine ever selling out.
    Feb 19 01:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Iron Mountain Deserves a Second Look [View article]
    Dear Brad:

Thanks for your comment. Approximate figures below. I hope this helps.

Facilities Leased:
    As of December 31, 2009, IRM conducted operations through 801 leased facilities and 239 owned facilities.

Off Balance Sheet Debt:
    You'd have to check their 10-K on that one. But I do believe they have about 200 mil in uncapitalized leases. The 10-K would also explain how those might be accounted for (if at all).

"Enormous debt":
    LT Debt: $2973.0 mill.
    Due in 5 years: $785.5 mill
    LT Interest: $225.0 mill.
    LT-Interest/EBIT: 50%
    LT-Debt/Assets: 46%
    -Kinda high don't you think for a company that only made $153 mil last year?
    Jan 18 11:14 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why You Should Buy U.S. Large Cap Multinationals Now [View article]
    Alex:

Good article! I agree 100%
    Jan 7 12:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why You Should Buy U.S. Large Cap Multinationals Now [View article]
    The big 100 follower mark. Congrats!
    Jan 6 08:24 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson Is Ripe for the Picking [View article]
    Thank you TimR. Perhaps I should be a little less confident as I tend to agree with you on "...because of the failure of JNJ to get ahead of the story with damage control." Nevertheless, still an excellent value!
    Dec 13 12:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson Is Ripe for the Picking [View article]
    RobberBaron:

Thank you for your comment and I sincerely appreciate your much needed insight into FDA product recalls. I am no Doctor and make no attempt to state that I know anything about the FDA, drugs, or recalls. However, I do understand the bottom-line results and feel that I aptly grasp their effects on business.

I hope the following effectively responds to your question:

Background:
    Since May of 2010, JNJ's Consumer Products has been plagued with recalls to include certain varieties of Tylenol, Benadryl, Mortin, and Zyrtec. A recent Puerto Rican plant is also under investigation for alleged manufacturing issues. All this was, no doubt, was very expensive to JNJ.

However, I stated, that "JNJ appears to be out of the woods from all the recalls in the consumer products division."

Why? 5 reasons...

1. Net results from recalls weren't "that bad" at all. JNJ is a highly diversified company. Because of recalls, the Consumer Products segment revenue fell nearly 11% (so far); however, the Medical Devices and Pharmaceutical Segment picked up most of the slack; and overall JNJ sales ONLY declined by approx. 1%.

2. Management. After the recalls, management effectively brought down costs, in addition, to getting the overall tax rate to fall. Management also raised earnings guidance this year.

3. Share Price. When the recalls were first announced, uncertainty caused the Company's share price to drop to about $58. Since then, it has risen. Obviously, the recalls weren't as encompassing as was thought. Plenty of time for information to disseminate here. We're not talking about betting on BP during the height of an oil well explosion. JNJ's story is far different.

4. JNJ is still a trusted brand. I don't think these recalls hurt JNJ's competitive moat too severely. They've also quickly responded to the recalls (from what I've been seeing).

5. FCF. Their FCF is amazing to say the least. Dividends are no way under threat; nor are increases. They'll easily grow out of this situation, and judging by the little impact (net only fell 1%), the shares are largely out of the woods, and ready for what I think could be a 5-7% annual increase in share net. Plus you get a dividend.
    Dec 12 02:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson Is Ripe for the Picking [View article]
    Thanks for pointing that out Mr. Van Knapp. That's a pretty important variable that I need to consider during the selection process. Obviously, JNJ wins out in the dividend increase battle.
    Dec 10 01:08 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson Is Ripe for the Picking [View article]
    Thanks bdoxjr. I'll have to check out Merck too.
    Dec 8 10:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson Is Ripe for the Picking [View article]
    That's good enough for me too Graham and Dodd Investor. JNJ's 10-year price history is very similar to KO, and as a matter-of-fact, perhaps similar to all the best blue chips. No doubt, they are poised for share growth.
    Dec 8 12:08 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson Is Ripe for the Picking [View article]
    Thank you. If JNJ remains close to current valuations, I might pull in trigger in about a month when I'll have the cash to do so.
    Dec 8 12:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Deckers: The Perfect Growth Stock [View article]
    FIN858:

Thanks for adding new light to DECK. I agree with your statement, "I would also argue that currently, share are pretty much fairly valued." DECK shares have also risen about 10% since I wrote the article, further highlighting the trend toward being fairly valued.
    Dec 8 12:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Spanish Bank, BBVA, A Long Term Slam Dunk [View instapost]
    Good article. FYI: It takes about four instablogs before they start selecting them as articles.

Anyway..
    From what you said, it looks like BBVA will succeed in the longer term no matter what happens in the way of a Portuguese or Spanish bailout. Not bad. It'll be interesting to see what happens to the Euro currency with all that has been going on.
    Dec 4 01:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment