Brian Schmeer

View Brian Schmeer's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • SodaStream Deal With Kraft Nice, But Not A Game Changer [View article]
    Q3 revenue from America's was 32%. I don't think we will see 30% for the year, but soon after. The revenue mix trends are impressive, only a matter of time till 50% plus is from the America's and euro worries will, be less a concern.
    Jan 5 10:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ready To Invest In SodaStream For The Long Haul: Part 2 [View article]
    I am not a windbag but, despite being rude and grammatically incorrect, your comment is interesting. Do you really believe that the FS500's PERCEIVED difference is such that it is able to overcome sodstream's first mover advantage? Maybe the product is better, I am not as convinced as you are, but does it matter which is better if only one is available at most major retailers. Lets also not forget that a good product with bad management is not a good stock. As far as value, how much does the primo cost? If it is significantly less this would certainly pose a problem to sodastream, but as sodastream manufactures their products themselves, I find it hard to believe primo could be selling for much less without selling at much lower margins.
    Dec 31 11:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • SodaStream Loses Its Competitive Edge [View article]
    I bought a lot after they decreased 10% after the GMCR announcement. I don't normally make short term trades, but the drop was so irrational I couldn't resist. I sold right after the earnings announcement for a huge gain.

As far as share buy backs, no way! They can't afford to. I suspect they will have to issue more shares or debt in order to finance their rapid expansion. At the current rate, they will run out of money in 2014. Normally, they could slow down their expansion and save some more money, but with the success of their Asian launch I suspect they will have to maintain enormous expenditures.

In other words, they are growing so fast and succeeding at such an extent that they will need to finance growth at a more rapid pace than anticipated. Net positive.
    May 15 05:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yes sir. Well done.
    May 10 02:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SodaStream Loses Its Competitive Edge [View article]
    Companies can leverage off of their existing infrastructure. The sodamaker concept is so shockingly easy (like you said, over 100 years old), very little investment would be needed for any appliance maker to add this product to their line up. ANY coffee maker company could easily start making soda makers with relatively little cost. Esio could do it, Green Mountain could do it, a company that makes blenders could probably do it pretty easy. There is no reason to think a competitor has to start from scratch....

(Soda only has 1 factory and is just now constructing another, so 3 seems like a little much)
    Feb 15 04:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SodaStream Loses Its Competitive Edge [View article]
    A new model of Esio is coming out that is counter top. This is what is expected to sell at Walmart.
    Feb 10 04:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SodaStream Loses Its Competitive Edge [View article]
    I agree. Sodastream is the best product available right now. I personally love the machine. I use it to make carbonated water and then add a little lemon. But if a competitor were to offer a similar product for less, I would buy it instead! What is keeping another company from entering the market?
    Feb 5 04:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SodaStream Loses Its Competitive Edge [View article]
    Yes, you need say more. Expectations are very high for Sodastream. Can they maintain them if more competitors enter the market? What is stopping competitors? A good distribution market is a great thing, no doubt, but enough to stop a competitor from taking market share...no. Sodastream can be the market leader and still have a poorly performing stock.
    Feb 5 04:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SodaStream Loses Its Competitive Edge [View article]
    Great comment. If sodastream continues to build brand recognition, I feel they will be bought out as well.
    Feb 5 04:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SodaStream Loses Its Competitive Edge [View article]
    Good comment. I don't rank anything as a buy unless they have a clear competitive advantage. I am still not completely sure Sodastream does. Walmart will sell whatever product is willing to take the biggest hit on their margins, (thats why Green Mountain is not sold at Walmart), it seems likely that a competitor will arise and force sodastream to sell at lower margins.

Is there any reason to think that a competing product at Walmart would not harm Sodastream's bottom line? I am not sayign Esio is that competitor, but if someone else came along.
    Feb 5 04:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SodaStream Loses Its Competitive Edge [View article]
    But what is to stop Esio from making a carbonating product? It is future earnings I am worried about, not this year or next years.
    Feb 5 04:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SodaStream Loses Its Competitive Edge [View article]
    Finally someone that understands that my rating is based on the future.

I am not as against Soda as people seem to think. It is as if I wrote it off as a strong sell! If they can prove to me that they have a real competitive advantage i'd be a buyer again. I am just not so sure. Seems to me that any company could make a competitive product, make a deal with Walmart, and force sodastream to take lower margins.
    Feb 5 04:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SodaStream Loses Its Competitive Edge [View article]
    Haha, my sister was offended when she saw I wrote that!
    Feb 5 04:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SodaStream Loses Its Competitive Edge [View article]
    Analyzing a company's competitive advantage is exactly how you upgrade/downgrade. Keep in mind the price of a stock is indicative of future earnings, meaning their future prospects effect my rating today.
    Feb 1 11:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SodaStream Loses Its Competitive Edge [View article]
    I agree with most of this, though I believe the CO2 bottles can now be refilled by third parties due to patent expiration. I addressed most of this in my previous article. There are SOME barriers to entry, but I don't think they are as impressive or insurmountable as many investors seem to think.
    Jan 31 06:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment