View as an RSS Feed
View Bruce Krulwich's Articles BY TICKER:
Qualcomm And Cambridge Silicon Radio: A Grand SLAM For Mobile Indoor Location
- Qualcomm's recent acquisition of CSR is seen as a big move into the Internet of Things.
- I believe CSR will also deliver big value to Qualcomm's chips for indoor location positioning.
- CSR is the leading chip company in developing SLAM technology, enabling universal works-everywhere indoor location.
- This may boost Qualcomm in a technology also being worked on by Apple and many others.
Broadcom's New Chip Enables Always-On, Low-Power Location Tracking And Context
- The mobile world is moving in the direction of always-on location tracking, motion tracking and application context.
- A new Broadcom chip combines location positioning and motion sensing in a single chip.
- Motion sensing is a key ingredient in low-power always-available indoor/outdoor location tracking.
- Always-available indoor/outdoor location tracking gives devices full-time context.
Gemalto And A Wearable Future For Mobile Payments
- An innovative project led by Gemalto is exploring how new technologies can revolutionize mobile payments.
- The company's approach uses wearable devices that maintain strong authentication of the wearer's identity.
- They also use very accurate indoor location technology to eliminate fraud by confirming that the customer is truly near the cashier.
InvenSense Acquisitions Raise The Bar For Chip Companies And Mobile Indoor Location Technology
- InvenSense acquired two start-up companies in the mobile indoor location technology area.
- Movea, based in France, has innovative motion-sensing technology that accounts for a phone user's stride.
- Trusted Positioning, based in Canada, has motion-sensing technology integrated tightly with MEMS.
- These two acquisitions, with InvenSense's previous R&D on motion sensing, should lead to a formidable indoor location tracking solution.
- A wide variety of indoor location start-up companies are likely M&A targets for InvenSense's competitors in the chip industry.
Is Apple Ready To SLAM The World?
- I speculate that Apple is preparing to announce a technology called SLAM, which will enable iPhones to track their locations indoors in any site worldwide.
- Apple recently hired the CEO of a start-up company developing indoor location technology.
- This is the most recent of a series of indicators that Apple has a big announcement coming that relates to indoor location technology.
- SLAM has the potential to revolutionize indoor location based mapping and applications, if introduced by Apple or another mobile giant.
Where The Wild Things Are, In The Internet Of Things
- The Internet of Things is expected to include a large number of Internet-connected sensors, every-day objects and appliances.
- One challenge not yet discussed is how connected "things" can track their own locations. Many uses for the Internet of Things requires knowing where the "things" are.
- Several technologies are currently in development that will enable the Internet of Things to keep track of where the things are.
Yandex's Acquisition Of KitLocate Foreshadows An Era Of Pervasive Location Services
- Yandex's acquisition KitLocate is ushering in an era in which mobile location-based services aren't turn-on-turn-off, but rather are always on.
- This has huge implications for mobile technology and for upcoming M&A.
- Technology vendors and venture funds should keep their eyes on other companies with pervasive location technology.
- Major Companies Poised To Bring GPS Indoors
- Apple iBeacons Poised To Legitimize Hardware-Based Indoor Location
- WhatsApp's Quiet Move Into Social Networking, And Why Facebook Should Worry
- Long-Term Observations Nobody's Discussing On The Microsoft-Nokia Deal
- ARM Acquisition Races Qualcomm And Intel To The Next 50 Billion Devices
- Internet Of Things: A Growing Battleground Between Mobile And Chip Companies
- Ruckus Wireless Indoor Location Acquisition Goes Head To Head With Cisco And Aruba
- What Waze Might Mean For Google
- Understanding Facebook's Waze
- Apple's Indoor Location Acquisition: It's About Apps, Not Maps
- Understanding Apple Buying WiFiSLAM And What's Next
- Geofencing Applications: Which Mobile Phone System Will Get There First?
- Facebook's Plan To Monetize Mobile Through Media
- Facebook Investors: Stop Whining And Be Patient For Profit