Bruce Vanderveen

View Bruce Vanderveen's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 3 Asian ETFs For Conservative Investors [View article]
    marky731... I was afraid of this. Yes, I do know that China and India are not technically included in the strict definition of "Southeast Asia." That is why - in the first sentence in the first paragraph - I wrote "If you include China and India, Southeast Asia..." A map will show you that China is located in East Asia and India is located in South Asia. (Where else would you put them?) I guess it wasn't enough to keep the nit pickers away though.

And yes, it's true, the economies in the region vary considerably, but taken as a whole they are, as I repeatedly stated in the article, growing rapidly. The ETF's mentioned concentrate holdings in the fastest growing countries.
    May 17, 2015. 09:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The PC Collapse Applies To Tablets As Well [View article]
    I bought a Chromebook (basically an internet portal plus some apps) 2 years ago and have never looked back. I do all my writing with Google Drive docs - better than Word in my opinion.

I see friends with windows systems constantly struggle with viruses, ads, malware, updates etc. Oh, and they also spent more money for the lap tops than I did for the Chromebook.

It's true Chromebooks don't run stand-a-lone programs but... almost everything is available on the Web now.
    May 12, 2015. 10:24 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Elon Musk Is Really Selling [View article]
    Thanks Dana for your intelligent article and comments in handling this incredibly complex and controversial subject.

Love your articles and that you are not afraid to challenge convention.
    May 8, 2015. 09:30 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Elon Musk Is Really Selling [View article]
    Saw a cartoon in Tampa Bay Times showing the southern 3/4 of the state under water and our climate-change-denying governor, perched high in his office in the panhandle, exclaiming "Still not scientifically proven!"
    May 7, 2015. 12:27 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Utilities Must Adjust To Solar And Not The Other Way Around [View article]
    Those who consider going off the grid would never have a 65" plasma TV. Lithium-ion batteries are getting cheaper every year. Energy efficient LED bulbs are replacing incandescent ones. The trends are clear.

Those who obsess over big houses, plasma TVs, and other expensive toys don't see it though. It's kind of like a horse and buggy guy laughing at a broken down auto at the start of the 20th century.
    Apr 7, 2015. 10:28 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Investing In Stevia's Huge Potential [View article]
    trabor...

Thanks for the information. I will look at revisiting stevia in another article in a month or two. I will try to locate all stevia related companies but must stick to business (with substantiating facts) or else SA will not publish - they don't go for sensationalist articles.

My wife and I, over the last year, starting using stevia in a 50% stevia/50% sugar combination for baking pies etc (much more costly than sugar in store but at least they now have it). I also drink SoBe a Pepsi product (again a stevia/sugar combo). The taste is a little different but I don't mind it and am glad to be able to eat something sweet while avoiding sugar and artificial sweeteners. I will look into the 2 oz bottle you mentioned. Is it on ebay?
    Mar 6, 2015. 10:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Investing In Stevia's Huge Potential [View article]
    Thanks trabob for commenting on this 3+ year old article.

Stevia is now beginning to go mainstream as Coca-cola, Pepsi, Starbucks and others are now marketing products containing it. With obesity rates so high the more health conscious among us are using more of this natural, zero-calorie sweetener. The future looks good for Stevie.

This article garnered a very large amount of comments (for me) which shows the intense interest people have in the subject. I am considering a follow up article.

Not sure STEV is the best way to invest though.
    Mar 5, 2015. 01:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Exciting Marcellus Natural Gas Producers [View article]
    CHK sold it's southern holdings in the Marcellus - still has northern ones http://bit.ly/1uFujcl
    Jan 29, 2015. 12:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cheniere Energy Is Irrationally Overvalued Compared To Its International Peers [View article]
    For those who wish to keep up with the latest in LNG look at http://bit.ly/1zPBINp They have a free newsletter.
    Jan 26, 2015. 02:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Big Opportunities In Small-Cap Natural Gas (And Oil) Stocks [View article]
    I agree, EXXI has a lot of potential but they may be in trouble if oil doesn't go up in the near to mid-term. That is one of the risks of debt. I'm not sure when what the their loan maturity schedule is - worth checking out.
    Nov 25, 2014. 12:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ceragon Networks: 5 Reasons Why I Keep Accumulating This Low-Priced Tech Stock [View article]
    The business of catching falling knives is, at best. difficult. I know from personal experience.

One criteria I use (although not perfect - nothing is) is insider buying. So far I don't see this in Ceragon so I would stay away. If the company really is on the verge of a big comeback I would expect to see some insiders taking positions.
    Nov 25, 2014. 10:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Big Opportunities In Small-Cap Natural Gas (And Oil) Stocks [View article]
    Thanks Michael. I'm long some Peyto too.
    Nov 25, 2014. 09:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Predictions For The Fourth Quarter [View article]
    I agree with your predictions Bret. Time will tell of course but I think you are as close as anyone can get as to what actually will happen

Since I have some GILD I especially hope you are right there.
    Sep 30, 2014. 10:14 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Small-Cap E&Ps Which May Now Be Bargains [View article]
    murjames - That's true; Tag has also fallen. It seems small-caps always take it on the chin when equity markets drop. The good news is small-cas usually outperform when they rise. Eventually, I feel both companies will appreciate substantially. It may take awhile. We will see.
    Sep 14, 2014. 08:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Barron's Highlights Some Attractive Tech Stocks [View article]
    Bret

Thanks for another great article - you are my top go-to-read author on SA.

I too don't get Barron's, so I appreciate your mentioning some of their content periodically.

Thesaurus says "sanquine" means happy; optimistic. Do you really mean "wary?"
    Aug 17, 2014. 03:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment