Bruce Vanderveen

View Bruce Vanderveen's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Utilities Must Adjust To Solar And Not The Other Way Around [View article]
    Those who consider going off the grid would never have a 65" plasma TV. Lithium-ion batteries are getting cheaper every year. Energy efficient LED bulbs are replacing incandescent ones. The trends are clear.

Those who obsess over big houses, plasma TVs, and other expensive toys don't see it though. It's kind of like a horse and buggy guy laughing at a broken down auto at the start of the 20th century.
    Apr 7, 2015. 10:28 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Investing In Stevia's Huge Potential [View article]
    trabor...

Thanks for the information. I will look at revisiting stevia in another article in a month or two. I will try to locate all stevia related companies but must stick to business (with substantiating facts) or else SA will not publish - they don't go for sensationalist articles.

My wife and I, over the last year, starting using stevia in a 50% stevia/50% sugar combination for baking pies etc (much more costly than sugar in store but at least they now have it). I also drink SoBe a Pepsi product (again a stevia/sugar combo). The taste is a little different but I don't mind it and am glad to be able to eat something sweet while avoiding sugar and artificial sweeteners. I will look into the 2 oz bottle you mentioned. Is it on ebay?
    Mar 6, 2015. 10:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Investing In Stevia's Huge Potential [View article]
    Thanks trabob for commenting on this 3+ year old article.

Stevia is now beginning to go mainstream as Coca-cola, Pepsi, Starbucks and others are now marketing products containing it. With obesity rates so high the more health conscious among us are using more of this natural, zero-calorie sweetener. The future looks good for Stevie.

This article garnered a very large amount of comments (for me) which shows the intense interest people have in the subject. I am considering a follow up article.

Not sure STEV is the best way to invest though.
    Mar 5, 2015. 01:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Exciting Marcellus Natural Gas Producers [View article]
    CHK sold it's southern holdings in the Marcellus - still has northern ones http://bit.ly/1uFujcl
    Jan 29, 2015. 12:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cheniere Energy Is Irrationally Overvalued Compared To Its International Peers [View article]
    For those who wish to keep up with the latest in LNG look at http://bit.ly/1zPBINp They have a free newsletter.
    Jan 26, 2015. 02:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Big Opportunities In Small-Cap Natural Gas (And Oil) Stocks [View article]
    I agree, EXXI has a lot of potential but they may be in trouble if oil doesn't go up in the near to mid-term. That is one of the risks of debt. I'm not sure when what the their loan maturity schedule is - worth checking out.
    Nov 25, 2014. 12:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ceragon Networks: 5 Reasons Why I Keep Accumulating This Low-Priced Tech Stock [View article]
    The business of catching falling knives is, at best. difficult. I know from personal experience.

One criteria I use (although not perfect - nothing is) is insider buying. So far I don't see this in Ceragon so I would stay away. If the company really is on the verge of a big comeback I would expect to see some insiders taking positions.
    Nov 25, 2014. 10:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Big Opportunities In Small-Cap Natural Gas (And Oil) Stocks [View article]
    Thanks Michael. I'm long some Peyto too.
    Nov 25, 2014. 09:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Predictions For The Fourth Quarter [View article]
    I agree with your predictions Bret. Time will tell of course but I think you are as close as anyone can get as to what actually will happen

Since I have some GILD I especially hope you are right there.
    Sep 30, 2014. 10:14 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Small-Cap E&Ps Which May Now Be Bargains [View article]
    murjames - That's true; Tag has also fallen. It seems small-caps always take it on the chin when equity markets drop. The good news is small-cas usually outperform when they rise. Eventually, I feel both companies will appreciate substantially. It may take awhile. We will see.
    Sep 14, 2014. 08:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Barron's Highlights Some Attractive Tech Stocks [View article]
    Bret

Thanks for another great article - you are my top go-to-read author on SA.

I too don't get Barron's, so I appreciate your mentioning some of their content periodically.

Thesaurus says "sanquine" means happy; optimistic. Do you really mean "wary?"
    Aug 17, 2014. 03:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Internet Monopoly I Want To Own Forever [View article]
    Its hard to argue with the author's thesis. Google is the place to be for now and in the foreseeable future. I sometimes think they may be running the world eventually. Forever? Not so sure about that though.
    Aug 14, 2014. 10:39 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Few Net Lease REITs To Avoid [View article]
    I too would like to thank you Brad for pointing out some of the REITs to avoid. Most articles on SA (and elsewhere) are bullish, but we all know the other, riskier side is there waiting to deplete investor's money.
    Aug 13, 2014. 08:49 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas Prices: After Steep Decline, Where Do We Go From Here? [View article]
    The unusually cool summer (so far) in the eastern U.S. caught most by surprise. Electrical demand was therefore muted and power generating stations used less gas than anticipated. This has allowed storage levels to be built back up faster than expected.
    Aug 11, 2014. 02:23 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft: Mr. Softie No More [View article]
    Owning both a Google Chromebook and a Windows 7 laptop, I much prefer the Chromebook. Why? It's faster, cheaper, less complicated, highly portable, and more focused on what I do. Who needs buggy, slow, virus/malware/bloatware prone, constantly in need of upgrades, personal computers when web based solutions work so well?

Yes, MSFT is changing - they have to. Lagging in mobile, faltering in Windows, the company is now beginning to lose it's Microsoft Office dominance to Google and Apple/IBM. MSFT, like the captain on the Titanic, sees the iceberg ahead, but it may be too late to change course.
    Jul 17, 2014. 11:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment