Bruce Vanderveen

View Bruce Vanderveen's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 4 Predictions For The Fourth Quarter [View article]
    I agree with your predictions Bret. Time will tell of course but I think you are as close as anyone can get as to what actually will happen

Since I have some GILD I especially hope you are right there.
    Sep 30 10:14 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Small-Cap E&Ps Which May Now Be Bargains [View article]
    murjames - That's true; Tag has also fallen. It seems small-caps always take it on the chin when equity markets drop. The good news is small-cas usually outperform when they rise. Eventually, I feel both companies will appreciate substantially. It may take awhile. We will see.
    Sep 14 08:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Barron's Highlights Some Attractive Tech Stocks [View article]
    Bret

Thanks for another great article - you are my top go-to-read author on SA.

I too don't get Barron's, so I appreciate your mentioning some of their content periodically.

Thesaurus says "sanquine" means happy; optimistic. Do you really mean "wary?"
    Aug 17 03:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Internet Monopoly I Want To Own Forever [View article]
    Its hard to argue with the author's thesis. Google is the place to be for now and in the foreseeable future. I sometimes think they may be running the world eventually. Forever? Not so sure about that though.
    Aug 14 10:39 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Few Net Lease REITs To Avoid [View article]
    I too would like to thank you Brad for pointing out some of the REITs to avoid. Most articles on SA (and elsewhere) are bullish, but we all know the other, riskier side is there waiting to deplete investor's money.
    Aug 13 08:49 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas Prices: After Steep Decline, Where Do We Go From Here? [View article]
    The unusually cool summer (so far) in the eastern U.S. caught most by surprise. Electrical demand was therefore muted and power generating stations used less gas than anticipated. This has allowed storage levels to be built back up faster than expected.
    Aug 11 02:23 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft: Mr. Softie No More [View article]
    Owning both a Google Chromebook and a Windows 7 laptop, I much prefer the Chromebook. Why? It's faster, cheaper, less complicated, highly portable, and more focused on what I do. Who needs buggy, slow, virus/malware/bloatware prone, constantly in need of upgrades, personal computers when web based solutions work so well?

Yes, MSFT is changing - they have to. Lagging in mobile, faltering in Windows, the company is now beginning to lose it's Microsoft Office dominance to Google and Apple/IBM. MSFT, like the captain on the Titanic, sees the iceberg ahead, but it may be too late to change course.
    Jul 17 11:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Synergy Resources Corporation: Has The Time Come To Sell This Highflier Junior And Move On? [View article]
    Thanks for another valuable article VD. I agree, SYRG seems like a great company - but now, having quadrupled in price over the last 2 years, is likely overvalued.

I especially like your key metric comparisons. It helps readers separate herd mentality hype from factual fundamentals. By "digging" up companies which are undervalued you identify them before they quadruple in price. (Investors always like that!)
    Jun 27 09:08 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Good Results In The TMS Plus The Iraq War May Be Just What The Doctor Ordered For Halcon Resources [View article]
    I would be concerned about the high debt level
    Jun 15 11:23 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Invest In A Deep Value Investment Opportunity In 3 Easy Steps: Load Caza Oil & Gas, Sit, And Wait [View article]
    Thanks VD. Great article as usual.
    May 15 10:21 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Emerging Market Dividend ETFs For Income And Growth [View article]
    Russian, Putin, and the Ukrainian crisis outcomes are definitely unknown at this point. I would probably hold out buying more DEM for now but things should settle down eventually.

If Eastern Ukraine want to be part of Russia there is little we in the west can (or for that matter should) do about it. NATO involvement would be bad for everyone. I'm trusting it won't happen.
    May 15 09:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Zargon Oil And Gas Is In The Bargain Bin And Ready To Take Off [View article]
    VD,

Thanks for a great article.

You mention Argent a lot? I have some but wonder what the odds of that 19% dividend being cut? From past experience (Lightstream) these high dividends are often harbingers of future cuts.

Maybe I'm better switching into Zargon
    Mar 18 11:29 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Win With These 2 Marcellus Shale Companies [View article]
    Thanks for your comment.

I did consider RRC but went with COG instead as Yahoo Finance showed COG to have a better balance sheet: lower P/E, less debt/equity, and better return on assets and equity (better management?).

That said, RRC, with it's Marcellus acreage, certainly has much potential also. If one wanted to take a diversified position consider holding both.
    Mar 1 09:52 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will The Gold And Silver Surge Continue? [View article]
    I say no, it's a sucker's rally in a, for now, bear market.

Higher interest rates make other investments more desirable. Precious metals are a store of value only; they don't provide income.
    Feb 16 11:38 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy This New High Dividend Stock And Profit From A Major Global Trend [View article]
    Strange chart. On Jan 23 Yahoo Finance shows a plunge in price for 1-2 days to $1.23. Then right back up to the $11-12 range where it is now.

Author, do have any idea what happened on Jan 22-23 to cause this big temporary drop?
    Feb 16 09:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment