Bruce Vanderveen

View Bruce Vanderveen's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Zargon Oil And Gas Is In The Bargain Bin And Ready To Take Off [View article]
    VD,

Thanks for a great article.

You mention Argent a lot? I have some but wonder what the odds of that 19% dividend being cut? From past experience (Lightstream) these high dividends are often harbingers of future cuts.

Maybe I'm better switching into Zargon
    Mar 18 11:29 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Win With These 2 Marcellus Shale Companies [View article]
    Thanks for your comment.

I did consider RRC but went with COG instead as Yahoo Finance showed COG to have a better balance sheet: lower P/E, less debt/equity, and better return on assets and equity (better management?).

That said, RRC, with it's Marcellus acreage, certainly has much potential also. If one wanted to take a diversified position consider holding both.
    Mar 1 09:52 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will The Gold And Silver Surge Continue? [View article]
    I say no, it's a sucker's rally in a, for now, bear market.

Higher interest rates make other investments more desirable. Precious metals are a store of value only; they don't provide income.
    Feb 16 11:38 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy This New High Dividend Stock And Profit From A Major Global Trend [View article]
    Strange chart. On Jan 23 Yahoo Finance shows a plunge in price for 1-2 days to $1.23. Then right back up to the $11-12 range where it is now.

Author, do have any idea what happened on Jan 22-23 to cause this big temporary drop?
    Feb 16 09:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Bother Diversifying, Just Buy Berkshire Hathaway [View article]
    Can someone tell me the difference, if any, of the A shares and B shares? Are the holdings different?

Most investors (like me) can't afford even one A share.
    Jan 15 08:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold And Silver Investing: What Now? [View article]
    Whoops
    Jan 14 07:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Or Apple In The New Year? [View article]
    I don't worry about it - own both. Let the market sort it out. Actually, I think both will go up.
    Jan 6 09:33 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft's Google Bash Backfires [View article]
    The arguments for Windows remind me of the Cable companies talking up their 200 (or was it 500) channel plans. Sure, Windows has lots of bells and whistles but to most users it's irrelevant.

My $200 Chromebook boots up in seconds (my old Windows system takes 4 minutes or more), the Chromebook doesn't need constant user installed virus and other updates (the Windows PC constantly nags for updates), the Chromebook executes quickly the basic tasks most users want (the Windows PC bogs down constantly - Lord only knows what all those running background programs do).

And cost? Well, it's obvious who wins there (hint: its not Microsoft). Google is setting up a whole parallel, tied-together universe which works better, is much less costly (mostly free), and is now steadily replacing Microsoft's.

Chromebook is just one small reason why GOOG has so dramatically outperformed MSFT over the last several years.
    Dec 15 08:57 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fly Leasing: A High Yielder To Buy Before Earnings [View article]
    A lot of debt. How big a problem is that?
    Nov 4 11:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Verizon And AT&T Are Sells [View article]
    For $45/month you get unlimited calls, data, and text. It's 3G and I think excessive data users get the data flow slowed (2G?) so yes there are some limitations for data hogs.
    Oct 24 12:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Verizon And AT&T Are Sells [View article]
    I have a Straight Talk Galaxy Centura smartphone I bought at Walmart for $99 with the $45/month plan - for the price I love it.

Tracfone has negotiates with Verizon, AT&T, and other networks to serve their customers.
    Oct 5 08:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Verizon And AT&T Are Sells [View article]
    Most towers are not owned by the carriers. Crown Castle, American Tower, and SBA Communications are the 3 leading U.S. tower owners - see this link: http://bit.ly/177p09B

These companies lease to the best bidder - as they see it - and cram as many radios as possible on their towers. I'm sure the lease negotiations are complicated.
    Oct 4 05:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Now Is The Time To Be Bullish [View article]
    Social, TTurk, Contrarian, others...

Here is (very) short synopsis of why I am bullish: Money -- and they are printing more of it all the time -- has to go somewhere. If it flees Europe, Japan, (and now possibly bonds) that leaves Quality International Companies and precious metals (now that they are down) as two of the few quality assets still available.

The article shows how you don't have to be a stock picker to benefit.
    Jun 25 10:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Now Is The Time To Be Bullish [View article]
    Contrarian... I believe the current pullback will only be a correction. 10 year Treasury yields may indeed fall back some but I think it is unlikely they will fall back below 2%. The turning point was reached last July when yields fell to 1.39%.

It is interesting to note that today, with Dow down almost 200 pts (as I pen this) treasuries are continuing to fall -- a sign they are beginning to lose their "safe haven" status.

I do agree the US dollar will rise short term.
    Jun 24 10:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Speculative Energy Plays With Near-Term Catalysts For The Thrill-Seeking Investors [View article]
    VD

Thanks to you I profited on Surge (just sold). Any thoughts on Pinecrest Energy (PNCFG.PK)? I have a small position -- currently at a loss.

It seems to have potential and a great balance sheet.
    Jun 4 12:16 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment