Bruce Vanderveen

View Bruce Vanderveen's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 5 High Yielding Israeli Stocks [View article]
    Thanks stocksteve3 for this informative link.
    Apr 27 10:27 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 High Yielding Israeli Stocks [View article]
    I considered FORTY for the article but since SA shows a "N/A" dividend yield I didn't include it (Google Finance shows a yield of 7.35%). I'm not familiar enough with company to comment.

Different financial sites use different methods of figuring yield. When special dividends or erratic distribution is involved it becomes difficult.
    Apr 27 10:26 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wake up S&P: The U.S. Can't Default on Its Debt [View article]
    Just close your eyes and repeat after me: "Everything if fine, everything is fine, everything is fine . . . zzzzz"
    Apr 24 08:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • President Obama orders Attorney General Holder to create a team to root out fraud and manipulation in oil markets, with a focus on market traders and speculators. Plus ça change ...  [View news story]
    Actually, I like Obama. A bit financially naive maybe, but . . . a nice guy. Said the same about Jimmy Carter.
    Apr 21 04:09 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Russian Oil: Investors Should Proceed With Caution [View article]
    Anthony - My best guess, is that the real reason COP sold its Lukoil holdings is because of frustration in dealing with the Russian bureaucracy.
    Apr 18 10:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How Former Canadian Income Trusts Can Protect Bond Investors From Dollar Debasement [View article]
    It does seem to be a laggard but I'm not sure why. Perhaps, because it is not as well know or tracked.
    Apr 1 07:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Excess Liquidity, Cheap Money Run Rampant on Wall Street [View article]
    Good insights. Keep a close eye on QE2 ending and whether a form of QE3 starts -- I'm thinking no at this time but who knows?
    Apr 1 12:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • GasFrac Energy Services: Does Environmentally Friendly Hold an Advantage? [View article]
    GasFrac is profitable -- a good sign
    Mar 25 10:48 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shaken: 10 Economic Disasters Threatening Global Financial Markets [View article]
    I think I will have a good drink -- forget about all this
    Mar 21 12:44 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PIMCO Dumps U.S. Bonds: Should We Be Alarmed? [View article]
    My son did the same thing -- used all the hot water while showering, leaving none for anyone else.

My solution: I turned off the hot water supply after he had been in shower 2 minutes. He jumped out real quick then.

Now, how can we do the same thing financially?
    Mar 10 11:09 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Using ETFs to Profit From Rising Interest Rates [View article]
    Those ETFs may exist but I am not familiar with them if they do.
    Mar 7 11:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Who Will Buy the Bonds? [View article]
    Yes, someone will buy the bonds after QE ends. But . . . that is not the issue. The issue is: what rate will buyers demand -- and ultimately can the government afford to pay those rates.

The word "rate" is never mentioned in the article
    Mar 3 10:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Crisis Investing: 4 Sectors You Must Be In Now [View article]
    I too lost money on TBT last year. You must time it right as tracking error eats you up over time. I feel that the coming budget debate and end of QE2 may provide an entry point. TBF has smaller tracking error but less upside if rates rise.

Note to readers who may not know: SA has ETF tracking error stats.
    Feb 24 09:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Collapsing Bonds? Look at ETF Trends [View article]
    PHK (Pimco's High Yield Fund) is similar to HYG (though more complex with option and swap investments) has done well so far. If inflation were to take off I suspect that, despite the expertise of Bill Gross, PHKIwill fall too
    Feb 19 05:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Collapsing Bonds? Look at ETF Trends [View article]
    The articles intent was not to give investors "total return" amounts but rather, (as noted in the title), to oook at trends since Nov. 4. I picked the Nov. 4 starting date as that was when many bond ETFs peaked.

Total return on MUB, in period noted in article, was a 5.7% principle decline, off set by a .83% interest gain (14 weeks) resulting in a net loss of about 4.87%. There may be commission charges if bought/sold plus a small ETF tracking error.

One can "cherry pick" various time frames to show price gains or losses. Hysteria's figure ignores the 4.6% MUB price decline from November 4 to 17 while my figures include it. A longer time frame will be show trends more accurately. A longer time will give clearer trend indications. Emotions control short term movements.
    Feb 19 04:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment