Bruce Vanderveen

View Bruce Vanderveen's Comments BY TICKER:
  • PIMCO Dumps U.S. Bonds: Should We Be Alarmed? [View article]
    My son did the same thing -- used all the hot water while showering, leaving none for anyone else.

My solution: I turned off the hot water supply after he had been in shower 2 minutes. He jumped out real quick then.

Now, how can we do the same thing financially?
    Mar 10 11:09 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Using ETFs to Profit From Rising Interest Rates [View article]
    Those ETFs may exist but I am not familiar with them if they do.
    Mar 7 11:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Who Will Buy the Bonds? [View article]
    Yes, someone will buy the bonds after QE ends. But . . . that is not the issue. The issue is: what rate will buyers demand -- and ultimately can the government afford to pay those rates.

The word "rate" is never mentioned in the article
    Mar 3 10:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Crisis Investing: 4 Sectors You Must Be In Now [View article]
    I too lost money on TBT last year. You must time it right as tracking error eats you up over time. I feel that the coming budget debate and end of QE2 may provide an entry point. TBF has smaller tracking error but less upside if rates rise.

Note to readers who may not know: SA has ETF tracking error stats.
    Feb 24 09:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Collapsing Bonds? Look at ETF Trends [View article]
    PHK (Pimco's High Yield Fund) is similar to HYG (though more complex with option and swap investments) has done well so far. If inflation were to take off I suspect that, despite the expertise of Bill Gross, PHKIwill fall too
    Feb 19 05:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Collapsing Bonds? Look at ETF Trends [View article]
    The articles intent was not to give investors "total return" amounts but rather, (as noted in the title), to oook at trends since Nov. 4. I picked the Nov. 4 starting date as that was when many bond ETFs peaked.

Total return on MUB, in period noted in article, was a 5.7% principle decline, off set by a .83% interest gain (14 weeks) resulting in a net loss of about 4.87%. There may be commission charges if bought/sold plus a small ETF tracking error.

One can "cherry pick" various time frames to show price gains or losses. Hysteria's figure ignores the 4.6% MUB price decline from November 4 to 17 while my figures include it. A longer time frame will be show trends more accurately. A longer time will give clearer trend indications. Emotions control short term movements.
    Feb 19 04:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Housing's 50% Off Sale -- Time to Buy the Homebuilders? [View article]
    I have 4 rentals now (used to have 7). Having rents come in is nice but dealing with tenants can be a hassle. I've notice that job situation of my tenants is not as good as it was a few years ago. It does feel good though to watch your loans slowly pay off -- working toward owning free and clear. Amen to no charity (I'm not a bank), sob stories, or relatives.
    Feb 12 09:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Housing's 50% Off Sale -- Time to Buy the Homebuilders? [View article]
    It is not well known, but there is a market that doesn't need Fannie, Freddie, and other GSEs -- The private financing market. This market provides a bottom no matter what the GSE situation is.

Any one who has cash or lots of equity can participate by using privately held mortgage notes. Just read up first on how to do it safely.

I easily sold an older mobile home on 1 acre this way a year ago -- property no financial institution would ever finance.
    Feb 11 09:03 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Technical Tuesday - Charting Our Future [View article]
    Phil: You are my favorite SA author. You make economic sense, using words everyone can understand -- with a flair!
    Feb 1 11:29 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas: The Last Undervalued Commodity? [View article]
    Thanks Dividend Sheet for this excellent link.

These large dividend paying O&G companies are where you want to be if you want income and real assets. You do have to stomach the ups and downs of the O&G market but long term you should do very well.
    Jan 26 09:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas: The Last Undervalued Commodity? [View article]
    Thanks for your insights Dr. Barclay as a holder of land containing reserves. I think a lot of companies or releasing or just sitting on acerage at this point due to the low NG price.
    Jan 26 09:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas: The Last Undervalued Commodity? [View article]
    I feel DVN is an excellent company, but at this point may be fully valued. They have recently shifted to on shore E&P in North America emphasizing oil while putting their gas holdings on hold. Consider for long term holdings.
    Jan 26 08:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas: The Last Undervalued Commodity? [View article]
    FCG, which I was not aware of, is a non futures oriented natural gas ETF. FCG invests 90% or more of assets in companies that "derive a substantial portion of their revenue from exploration and production of natural gas."

At this point I don't feel knowledgeable enough to express an opinion on FCG but will do some research.
    Jan 26 08:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas: The Last Undervalued Commodity? [View article]
    FCG is the symbol for the Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) First Trust ISE-Revere Natural Gas Index. FCG invests 90% or more of assets in companies that derive a substatial portion of their revenue from exploration and production of natural gas.
    Jan 26 08:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas: The Last Undervalued Commodity? [View article]
    I would sell UNG as daily tracking erodes the price over the long term (more than a few days). Unless you are a knowledgeable commodity day trader, as I'm not, I would stay away from it.

I plan an article soon on NG companies. Look at DVN for low risk (great company -- possibly fully valued) or GMXR for high risk (risky small cap? -- but lots of gas reserves, potential?). Disclosure: I own 200 shrs of GMXR
    Jan 25 11:00 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment