Bruce Vanderveen

View Bruce Vanderveen's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Evidence That Big Inflation Is Coming [View article]
    Maybe we get too wound up in semantics. Housing, commodity and other price declines will cause people NOT to spend, increasing unemployment, protectionist sentiment, increasing savings, deleveraging,. This decreases the velocity (turnover) of money. Add to this the destruction of the shadow banking system with a resultant credit availability losses.

You can print all the money in the world but if it just sits in a vault somewhere nothing changes. For now anyway, the world is in a wealth/income destruction mode and governments so far has not been able to stop it. TARP2 will be followed by TARP3 and then TARP4. I like the term "negative wealth spiral" better than deflation. When the helicopters start flying things may change.

Jan 25, 2009. 08:45 AM | 26 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How to Protect Yourself From the Crash of 2011 [View article]
    Congress will raise the debt ceiling -- they have no choice
    Nov 10, 2010. 03:40 PM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Geithner Plan FAQ [View article]
    This reason private capital hasn't bought the toxic assets is because the financial institutions are unwilling to sell at a the price the buyers will pay. Sellers are holding out for the higher government price.

On Mar 22 09:16 AM User 329713 wrote:

> I keep re-reading the first paragraph:
    > "The Geithner Plan is a trillion-dollar operation by which the U.S.
    > acts as the world's largest hedge fund investor, committing its money
    > to funds to buy up risky and distressed but probably fundamentally
    > undervalued assets and, as patient capital, holding them either until
    > maturity or until markets recover so that risk discounts are normal
    > and it can sell them off--in either case at an immense profit."<br/>
    > However, I still don't understand why private capital hasn't already
    > bought these undervalued assets to make these profits?
    > I certainly do hope those talking heads who are so smart will find
    > this program to be a sound approach. We NEED FOR THIS TO WORK!
    Mar 22, 2009. 11:26 AM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High Frequency Trading: Goldman's $4 Billion Wildcard [View article]
    Suddenly I'm reading about this HFT thing and how it is distorting the market. John Mauldin also wrote on it. Reminds me of the real estate bubble where the same parties happily bought and sold rapidly appreciating houses to each other. Then one day .... well you know the rest.
    Jul 17, 2009. 05:48 PM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Best Investments for Rising Oil [View article]
    Yes, this information is available to anyone and is nothing new.

However, the author does us all a service by researching, summarizing and presenting it.
    Jun 6, 2009. 01:42 PM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Oil and Gas Are Telling Us Now [View article]
    It may not happen immediately, but the the price advantages of natural gas will make it more and more the fuel of choice for electrical generation, heating and yes even vehicle use -- worldwide.

I too think now is the time to "nibble" on natural gas companies -- recently took a small position in GMXR
    Jan 1, 2011. 11:30 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shaken: 10 Economic Disasters Threatening Global Financial Markets [View article]
    I think I will have a good drink -- forget about all this
    Mar 21, 2011. 12:44 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Derivatives: A $700+ Trillion Bubble Waiting to Burst [View article]
    I think AIG showed us how dangerous CDSs can be. The public ended up bailing out AIG to the tune of over $100 billion, preventing systemic meltdown of the financial system -- or so we are told. I'm taking it on faith there are no more AIG's out there. Right? We must never again have taxpayers responsible for private company missed calls.

Interest swaps are some 82% of the $700 trillion notional derivative market. Most consider interest swaps to be relatively benign. I'm wondering though: how would this market react to a rapid increase of interest rates, as some are predicting, off current lows . Has anyone researched this?

We need more intelligent discussion of the dangers, both real and imagined, of derivative markets. AIG was an expensive wake up call. It amazes me how little knowledgeable economists seem willing to discuss these markets. AIG has show us this is not just an academic subject.
    Apr 19, 2009. 10:36 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas Prices: After Steep Decline, Where Do We Go From Here? [View article]
    The unusually cool summer (so far) in the eastern U.S. caught most by surprise. Electrical demand was therefore muted and power generating stations used less gas than anticipated. This has allowed storage levels to be built back up faster than expected.
    Aug 11, 2014. 02:23 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Truth About Fossil Fuels and Renewable Energy (Part II) [View article]
    I know it is not politically popular but simply raising the tax rate on gasoline is the best road (sorry it was inadvertent) to conservation. "Cash to Clunkers" and other government programs are more show than anything else. When prices rise each individual will decide on how he/she can best conserve.
    Aug 9, 2009. 03:32 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What to Short When the Rally Dies [View article]
    Be careful of SKF, SRS and other ultra shorts. I have yet to come out ahead on SRS (near record lows despite GGP and Hancock building 50% sale). Daily rebalancing eats away at price. DOG, SH and PSQ are better for intermediate term hedging (certainly safer) in my view.
    Apr 17, 2009. 11:26 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Technical Tuesday - Charting Our Future [View article]
    Phil: You are my favorite SA author. You make economic sense, using words everyone can understand -- with a flair!
    Feb 1, 2011. 11:29 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Predictions For The Fourth Quarter [View article]
    I agree with your predictions Bret. Time will tell of course but I think you are as close as anyone can get as to what actually will happen

Since I have some GILD I especially hope you are right there.
    Sep 30, 2014. 10:14 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PIMCO Dumps U.S. Bonds: Should We Be Alarmed? [View article]
    My son did the same thing -- used all the hot water while showering, leaving none for anyone else.

My solution: I turned off the hot water supply after he had been in shower 2 minutes. He jumped out real quick then.

Now, how can we do the same thing financially?
    Mar 10, 2011. 11:09 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is It Time to Sell Long-Bonds? [View article]
    Bonds declining and rates rising will be accompanied by increasing inflation. Equities give some inflation protection while bonds don't.

I don't feel this scenario is in the near term future but will come eventually.
    Sep 8, 2010. 08:38 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment