Bryan Waters

View Bryan Waters' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple App Store Vs. Google Play [View article]
    Slicing and dicing the revenue to make a point comparison was not really the point. The overall point was momentum, direction and each companies ability to sustain and grow current levels.

That being said, the fact that Apple reports revenue on a gross basis does make a substantial difference in Googles favor.
    May 24, 2013. 09:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: Spring Of Hope, Winter Of Despair [View article]
    I see. I'd better not tell what sports teams I like then...that might further destroy my credability.

I'm fairly comfortable with the idea that Google wasn't considering either Spotify or Pandora. But that doesn't change the fact that they will become casualties of the initiative.
    May 18, 2013. 10:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: Spring Of Hope, Winter Of Despair [View article]
    To state it another way...I think I agree with you...but i'm not sure ;-)
    May 17, 2013. 10:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: Spring Of Hope, Winter Of Despair [View article]
    I'm getting two different threads from your comments...first, yes, Jobs was a wild card, opinionated, hard to deal with, etc, and so on...and second, he was the sole driving force behind the new markets created by Apple.

Tim Cook is a "normal" CEO...probably more on the risk averse side and put in the very uncomfortable position of deciding whether to spend piles of cash on creating new unproven markets or listening to David Einhorn. He is doing what a responsible CEO does...

I don't know that you can plan a replacement for someone like Jobs. That is the reason why Apple is the focal point of this massive debate. Are they going to produce something insanely great? Of course not. Apple doesn't do that any more because they don't have someone willing to pull the trigger.

Its this simple. If Tim Cook were in charge in 2006, 2007...we wouldn't have an iPhone today.
    May 17, 2013. 10:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: Spring Of Hope, Winter Of Despair [View article]
    Agreed. The problem that i'm having with Apple these days is not the talent that still exists in the company...its management's ability to leverage that talent.
    May 17, 2013. 09:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: Spring Of Hope, Winter Of Despair [View article]
    I'd love to read it...please post the link.
    May 16, 2013. 10:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: Spring Of Hope, Winter Of Despair [View article]
    At least your considering your choices carefully.
    May 16, 2013. 01:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: Spring Of Hope, Winter Of Despair [View article]
    I actually do think Jobs was exceptional human being and that Tim Cook is not in his league...no insult to Tim but Apple is currently valued based on Jobs performance and not Tim Cooks.
    May 16, 2013. 01:18 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: Spring Of Hope, Winter Of Despair [View article]
    Those descriptions come from Jim Cramer...not me ;-)
    May 16, 2013. 01:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Things You Don't Know About Bitcoin But Should [View article]
    Thanks for reminding me Mike...I worked through that bubble...I still have equity from startup bubble companies that have gone under. ;-)
    May 13, 2013. 11:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Things You Don't Know About Bitcoin But Should [View article]
    The volatility will cause a pricing issue for most merchants though...right? They will want to peg value to their local currency which means that the price in bitcoins will change dramatically from time to time. Hosting companies taking Bitcoin for payment would have vastly different prices from month to month...
    May 13, 2013. 11:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Things You Don't Know About Bitcoin But Should [View article]
    Who would Google or Microsoft buy out exactly to "crush the Bitcoin competitor"?
    May 12, 2013. 10:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: Death By A Thousand Paper Cuts [View article]
    They make them high end luxury products for geeks. My macbook makes other devs drool...thats why i think it would be exceptionally bad if they start offering low-end low-margin products...
    May 7, 2013. 02:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: Death By A Thousand Paper Cuts [View article]
    You said Apple is working on an HMD product? Is this something that was announced or a rumor? I hadn't heard this...i'd love to get more info...
    May 7, 2013. 02:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: Death By A Thousand Paper Cuts [View article]
    Agreed. Its a critical feature for users...complexity and difficulty for developers will show up over the long term in the App Store revenue stream.
    May 7, 2013. 11:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment