Bryan Waters

View Bryan Waters' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Google Vs. Apple: It's About Scalability [View article]
    I think we are in agreement in terms of which is more appropriate. Melci...read this article a little more carefully and my other article on the respective app stores...and then come back and make a cogent point.

Apr 22 09:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Is It HP All Over Again? [View article]
    Ashraf, its not that Tim Cook isn't doing a good job...its that he's running the company in a much more traditional manner and the stock price reflects the change. Tim has done a fine job...his only shortcoming is that he's not Jobs. That would be a tragic reason to punish him...especially since I don't know who you would get to replace Steve Jobs.

Tim is fine, Apple will price itself to reflects its new reality and Apple fans will get their iPhones.
    Apr 22 01:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: It's About Scalability [View article]
    Kimbo, you've definitely drank the cool-aid. No computer is immune to viruses...i still have never figured out why people don't get the market share point when it comes to virus developers. Do you really think most virus writer is going to put any effort into writing a virus for the smallest segment of the market?

People made the same argument for the original mac and i'll never forget the nVir virus that infected all the macs on our company network.

Linux has viruses, Mac OSX has virues and Windows has viruses. Same goes for iPhone and Android.
    Apr 22 09:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: It's About Scalability [View article]
    I never said it was a bad thing. I said it wasn't a scalable thing. And in case it gets lost, I like Apple. Always have. When it bottoms out, i'll add it to my retirement portfolio as a dividend stock.
    Apr 22 09:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: It's About Scalability [View article]
    No....having higher quality paid apps is better. Right now Apple wins in that area but it won't last.
    Apr 22 09:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: It's About Scalability [View article]
    Business models have to be scalable as well...I wouldn't subtract the retail employees because thats part of the equation. The comparison is the efficiency their respective business models are scalable.

And Apple's foray into sustainable services to support the iPhone user base is exactly what i'm talking about. Apple's growth has been hit-based. They have created one blockbuster product after another but that can't continue. iLoans is a perfect example...are you kidding me? Thats an ecosystem product better produced and supported by a 3rd-party company.
    Apr 22 09:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: It's About Scalability [View article]
    My argument wasn't based only on smartphones but it is certainly one of the most contentious areas they compete.

I'm still confused by the suggestion that "guesses" by analysts don't work. Actual numbers by the two companies were used in the "guesses" by analysts but they also had to pick a reasonable metric for market size.

In either case, Android owns the mobile platform where Apple is winning hands-down on app revenue. I wanted to understand that and this article presents the conclusion I came to...its a qualitative argument meaning, that while I can point to certain indicators ultimately you'll have to draw your own conclusions.
    Apr 22 09:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: It's About Scalability [View article]
    Shaned...i'm not comparing current results. I'm also not comparing just android and iphone. I'm saying as a whole, the two companies are different and that while Apple produces high-quality products, they will NOT be able to keep up with Google and the battle between the two companies will result in Apple just becoming another stock like MSFT.

You can bring up their cash, their revenue, anything you like but it doesn't matter if they can't keep it up.
    Apr 22 09:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon Vs. Google: Battle For The Clouds [View article]
    Which is why comparing the two is difficult...but they are competing in a number of different areas.
    Apr 22 09:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: It's About Scalability [View article]
    Mapreduce was patented by Google. Are you saying they have prior art issues?

I was a Yahoo user back in the day...the problem was that all the services of Yahoo's products are almost uniquely standalone. One doesn't leverage the other. This was always frustrating to me.
    Apr 22 08:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: It's About Scalability [View article]
    You didn't say anything but that I was wrong. You simply said that my position was hogwash and that you could support this position because you were the CEO of a software company.
    Apr 22 08:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: It's About Scalability [View article]
    evidently not on my comments... ;-)
    Apr 22 08:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: It's About Scalability [View article]
    There are certainly different levels of quality and your position is really the point we'll have to see as it evolves. I believe that, while its not possible to make sure the icons are pretty, you can determine quality in terms of stability and malicious code in an automated fashion.

We'll see.
    Apr 22 08:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Add Apple To Your Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    Well...when it bottoms out of course. Its not difficult to see a bottom in a stock...watch it and wait and see. So much of the price is future value that its hard to predict. My guess is that it will consolidate a bit and then based on the September launch, look for a new bottom.

If this is what their announcements will look like then I think the bottom happens Q4 this year.

Apr 21 09:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon Vs. Google: Battle For The Clouds [View article]
    The cost to switch from one service to another is huge. Its not just the cost of the service...its the development efforts to switch from the core services of one to the other. If you just use virtual servers then you are not really taking advantage of the benefits. If you build services like SQS, SNS, S3, etc into your platform then you are building a dependency that makes it very difficult and very expensive to switch.

I'm suggesting that this cost is the the thing that means Amazon has to slip in a big way to justify the switch for a given software developer.

As for monetizing unused capacity...i've always suspected that myself. They can sell off the excess capacity during the off-season and leverage all their unused servers...i simply couldn't find anything to support that assumption so I didn't include it...but it seems more than reasonable to me!
    Apr 21 09:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment