Bryan Waters

View Bryan Waters' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Amazon Vs. Google: Battle For The Clouds [View article]
    I never underestimate Google. However, this is one area where the cost of switching will be prohibitive for a customer. Google will get some number of customers (and there are quite a few) who will start with them from the beginning but the customers who are already AMZN customers would switch for one of two reasons. Costs are cheaper...not likely since AMZN is making sure that they control the costs of the cloud and quality...AMZN would have to slip-up in a big way to make this happen.
    Apr 25, 2013. 11:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon Vs. Google: Battle For The Clouds [View article]
    There are a lot of people that understand neither AMZN's disruptive business model and how its paying off or AMZN's finances...i'm constantly floored by the guys who haven't done the legwork to understand the margins.

It is extremely interesting to me that a company that is for all intents and purposes in a non-technical industry is shaking up tech giants...I love it!
    Apr 25, 2013. 11:10 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Removes Beta From GCE And Declares War On Amazon [View article]
    Read this article and see if that helps.

Apr 24, 2013. 05:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon Vs. Google: Battle For The Clouds [View article]
    Your missing the point. Its not soap or rest that makes it tough to switch...its building a platform that relies on S3 or SQS or some other AWS service that becomes an integral part of your infrastructure that makes it hard to switch.

If you do that, and companies do that frequently then the cost of switching means redeveloping the parts of your architecture that rely on that.

Netflix is one of the more public examples of this.

Their architecture is heavily dependent on both S3 and SimpleDB and leverages a number of other aspects of the AWS service framework.

To move to another service, all of that would have to be rewritten.

"Not sure I want to bet my business on that."...Netflix did.
    Apr 24, 2013. 12:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: It's About Scalability [View article]
    Which of my facts are wrong? I never made a statement about the number of infected phones...
    Apr 23, 2013. 10:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: It's About Scalability [View article]
    My numbers come from Gartner. Are you saying Gartner is wrong?
    Apr 23, 2013. 10:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: It's About Scalability [View article]
    I think we are in agreement in terms of which is more appropriate. Melci...read this article a little more carefully and my other article on the respective app stores...and then come back and make a cogent point.

Apr 22, 2013. 09:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Is It HP All Over Again? [View article]
    Ashraf, its not that Tim Cook isn't doing a good job...its that he's running the company in a much more traditional manner and the stock price reflects the change. Tim has done a fine job...his only shortcoming is that he's not Jobs. That would be a tragic reason to punish him...especially since I don't know who you would get to replace Steve Jobs.

Tim is fine, Apple will price itself to reflects its new reality and Apple fans will get their iPhones.
    Apr 22, 2013. 01:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: It's About Scalability [View article]
    Kimbo, you've definitely drank the cool-aid. No computer is immune to viruses...i still have never figured out why people don't get the market share point when it comes to virus developers. Do you really think most virus writer is going to put any effort into writing a virus for the smallest segment of the market?

People made the same argument for the original mac and i'll never forget the nVir virus that infected all the macs on our company network.

Linux has viruses, Mac OSX has virues and Windows has viruses. Same goes for iPhone and Android.
    Apr 22, 2013. 09:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: It's About Scalability [View article]
    I never said it was a bad thing. I said it wasn't a scalable thing. And in case it gets lost, I like Apple. Always have. When it bottoms out, i'll add it to my retirement portfolio as a dividend stock.
    Apr 22, 2013. 09:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: It's About Scalability [View article]
    No....having higher quality paid apps is better. Right now Apple wins in that area but it won't last.
    Apr 22, 2013. 09:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: It's About Scalability [View article]
    Business models have to be scalable as well...I wouldn't subtract the retail employees because thats part of the equation. The comparison is the efficiency their respective business models are scalable.

And Apple's foray into sustainable services to support the iPhone user base is exactly what i'm talking about. Apple's growth has been hit-based. They have created one blockbuster product after another but that can't continue. iLoans is a perfect example...are you kidding me? Thats an ecosystem product better produced and supported by a 3rd-party company.
    Apr 22, 2013. 09:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: It's About Scalability [View article]
    My argument wasn't based only on smartphones but it is certainly one of the most contentious areas they compete.

I'm still confused by the suggestion that "guesses" by analysts don't work. Actual numbers by the two companies were used in the "guesses" by analysts but they also had to pick a reasonable metric for market size.

In either case, Android owns the mobile platform where Apple is winning hands-down on app revenue. I wanted to understand that and this article presents the conclusion I came to...its a qualitative argument meaning, that while I can point to certain indicators ultimately you'll have to draw your own conclusions.
    Apr 22, 2013. 09:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: It's About Scalability [View article]
    Shaned...i'm not comparing current results. I'm also not comparing just android and iphone. I'm saying as a whole, the two companies are different and that while Apple produces high-quality products, they will NOT be able to keep up with Google and the battle between the two companies will result in Apple just becoming another stock like MSFT.

You can bring up their cash, their revenue, anything you like but it doesn't matter if they can't keep it up.
    Apr 22, 2013. 09:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon Vs. Google: Battle For The Clouds [View article]
    Which is why comparing the two is difficult...but they are competing in a number of different areas.
    Apr 22, 2013. 09:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment