Bryan Waters

View Bryan Waters' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Facebook: Can You Hear Me Now? [View article]
    Yeah...I definitely understand your privacy concerns. I avoided social networks like the plague for a while for the exact same reason. I understood all too well the ways that they could violate my privacy. At some point, after thinking about it for a long time, I decided it was unavoidable and I dove in with both feet.

I think the real problem is that most people don't understand the potential privacy violations and are taken by surprise.

I hope that my classification of "breezy" wasn't offensive...I didn't think about that but I needed a catchy term for the category. ;-)

For me, FB is really interesting because I can't see them not growing in the short-term but Zuckerberg is so bad about communicating the vision that the stock price doesn't reflect the potential...seems like a dream opportunity to me!

Thanks for the nice comments! I appreciate it!
    Apr 5 02:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Only if it lasts.
    Mar 29 09:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple App Store Vs. Google Play [View article]
    The data i'm looking at speaks to fundamentals...it goes to where both companies stand in terms of future possibilities. I'm not providing an analysis that will help you invest for Monday morning but rather how to invest for the long term.
    Mar 29 09:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple App Store Vs. Google Play [View article]
    But the 311% growth rate was what was referred to as an extrapolation...which debate are we having?
    Mar 28 08:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Your welcome.
    Mar 28 08:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple App Store Vs. Google Play [View article]
    You jumped from the data points of the article to my own opinion that I presented in my conclusion. You don't have to agree with the opinion.

But I do have a question. Are you saying that Android dosn't hvae 65% of the mobile OS market?
    Mar 27 05:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple App Store Vs. Google Play [View article]
    My main point was the comparison between growth of OS market share and app store market share. Apple has a disproportionately high app market share compared to its share of the mobile OS market. The main discussion point in the article is the explanation as to the differences between the two.

Was that not clear?
    Mar 27 04:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple App Store Vs. Google Play [View article]
    Isn't that really the root of the problem? Its hard to predict market reaction to a cutting edge product line like Apple and Google's.

Regardless of the PE, one significant event and the price soars...one misstep and the bottom falls out.

Apple needs to come up with something new and exciting...something they haven't really done well lately.
    Mar 27 01:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple App Store Vs. Google Play [View article]
    I think you'll find my article agreed with all of those points...
    Mar 27 01:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple App Store Vs. Google Play [View article]
    Not really. My conclusions are supported by App Annie and based on my own experiences as both a Google Android and an iOS developer.

App Annie simply helps make clear what is actually going on. Regardless, there are a number of ways to interpret data and a number of sources for that data.

I'm not ignoring seasonality. I comparing a 10 month period where AAPLs growth was insignificant to the same period where GOOGs growth was substantial.

Just in case its not obvious, I love Apple. I started developing on the Mac in the 80s when it was first released and I used a Mac laptop to write this article. I also own an iPhone.

But lets face it. Just like in software development, there is no room for religion in investing. You can ride your favorite stock until you have no money left if you like. Its your choice but try and look at it objectively.

A previous commenter says my article was way too subjective? I don't do religion or subjective when it comes to investing. I love Amazon but right now I wouldn't touch their stock. Its too overpriced. Same thing with Apple. I'm simply trying to understand why. Maybe you should too rather than trying to defend Apple or tear down my conclusions? I'm not attacking them. I simply wouldn't buy the stock.
    Mar 27 12:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple App Store Vs. Google Play [View article]
    Sorry...couldn't help but lol at the "or something useful" comment ;-)
    Mar 26 05:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple App Store Vs. Google Play [View article]
    Agreed on all points except for the fact that i'm way off base about developers. I've been developer for Mac, Windows, Web and Mobile since the 80's.

It is recognized that opinions may vary. The investment to submit an app and get it approved by the App review team at apple is quite a bit higher. Anyone can throw together an APK and go live in an instant.

Making money in the android market is definitely a different story.
    Mar 26 05:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple App Store Vs. Google Play [View article]
    Agreed. There are multiple ways to value both companies and there are many aspects to their respective revenue streams. Mobile is a growth market and in my opinion is demonstrative of the approaches that both companies are taking to their various markets.
    Mar 26 05:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple App Store Vs. Google Play [View article]
    You are referring to traffic and not market share...StatCounter doesn't measure device, OS or app market share.

Second, all StatCounter data i've seen measures traffic in the Asia-Pacific rim. Both Android and iOS are showing growth there. It is the global growth that is flat for Apple in spite of the growth in Asia.
    Mar 26 05:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple App Store Vs. Google Play [View article]
    While in general I don't disagree with your comments and i've always been an Apple fan since the first mac launched in the 80s, i'd like to see some sign of growth in the iPhone and the App Store. Its starting to look like they've tapped out.

Google is taking a fundamentally different approach by allowing the market to self-review and it is the root cause of the quality issue I highlighted in the article. But...their approach is showing substantial growth. Slower than Apple's but the question is which model is more sustainable...Google can continue to grow this way without any operational limits. Apple seems to have hit the wall on the growth for their approach.

I'd like to see some sign that they have found a way to continue without violating any of the value they offer their customer base.
    Mar 26 12:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment