Bryan Waters

View Bryan Waters' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • A Major Factor Limiting Facebook's Growth Potential [View article]
    Increasing the CTR is what FB has not only been working on but rather succeeding at...what leads you to believe that the just announced Q2 results are not evidence of that?
    Aug 12 01:54 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Numbers Cannot Lie About Facebook [View article]
    You missed the point with facebook. They did something different than most other companies. They built and nearly saturated their user base before they even bothered to start monetizing. That was and is the challenge for them; to increase the RPU across their markets.

They could lose their market share to another platform but social networks tend to be sticky. Their user-base is theirs to lose. Social users are fickle but it would take quite a bit to start a diaspora away from FB. I'd suggest that MySpace lost their users through their own actions rather than FB taking them away.

The only number that really matters with FB is RPU. The userbase is already saturated so how they make money is really the point. FB has more engagement than pretty much any other site on the net, and a massive user base.

If you look at the RPU in conjunction with the time spent on the site and then compare it to other services, you'll realize that they are really underleveraging their users.

I think the valuation is pretty fair by this point. They have an easier path for growth than most. They don't have to find the users...the users are currently wandering through the store...they just have to get them to buy something.
    Mar 15 02:51 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook: The Story So Far, One Investor's Perspective [View article]
    Noted. Thank you for the correction and for your quality article! I definitely appreciated the research you put in...
    Aug 26 12:26 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Add Apple To Your Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    And replace him with whom? The only problem with Tim Cook is that he is not Steve Jobs...you won't be able to find a better replacement. Just come to terms with the fact that Apple is a different company now.
    Apr 19 10:53 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon.com Finally Does Something Right [View article]
    I may have just swallowed my tongue...Paulo Santos said something nice about Amazon?

I'm not even going to comment on the substance of the article...I just want to enjoy the moment... :-)
    Sep 22 10:03 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon Flails Wildly [View article]
    But Paul...they are winning. Borders doesn't exist, Barnes and Noble's won't exist soon. Amazon all but invented the practice of show-rooming...while I don't completely agree with the way the intensive use of cash flow to fund capacity, its working.

Forget the net income charts...give me an example where they are not dominating or at least a serious contender in retail/etail.
    Oct 17 11:41 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Major Factor Limiting Facebook's Growth Potential [View article]
    Agreed Chris. They are finally leveraging all the information they have on their user base. I assumed they were finally starting to figure this out when they first announced Open Graph and their Q2 earnings confirm that.

I've advertised on both Adwords and Facebook and have to say I can control my spend and better target my ads on Facebook's new product. Very nice!

They didn't create a derivative ad platform but rather have started realizing a social ad platform that really works!
    Aug 12 08:50 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook: Acquire Users First, Monetize Later [View article]
    While I don't disagree with the price points at some point, thats too agressive for this market...investors are going to make FB earn its current price level first.
    Aug 5 09:04 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Apple: Spring Of Hope, Winter Of Despair [View article]
    I actually do think Jobs was exceptional human being and that Tim Cook is not in his league...no insult to Tim but Apple is currently valued based on Jobs performance and not Tim Cooks.
    May 16 01:18 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon Vs. Google: Battle For The Clouds [View article]
    There are a lot of people that understand neither AMZN's disruptive business model and how its paying off or AMZN's finances...i'm constantly floored by the guys who haven't done the legwork to understand the margins.

It is extremely interesting to me that a company that is for all intents and purposes in a non-technical industry is shaking up tech giants...I love it!
    Apr 25 11:10 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Apple Is Floundering And The Stock Price Is Down [View article]
    I'm guessing you are part of the cult of Apple...and I only meant in terms of being mature companies...Apple is heading for single-digit growth...a place MSFT has been for over a decade...GOOG and FB are both still disruptive companies...and Scott...how dare you dare me! ;-)
    Apr 15 02:32 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft: Steve Ballmer Deserves The Ron Johnson Treatment [View article]
    You are comparing companies at different stages of maturity. Apple is well on its way to the single-digit growth that Microsoft is experiencing. Companies simply cannot sustain the double-digit growth that innovation and creativity generate forever. Microsoft's peak was in the 90s and Apple's is in the 2000s.

Microsoft hit their peak and now the manage themselves much differently than they used to as they must.

Honestly, I like Ballmer. I do think he was half of an amazing teamup with Gates. The two of them did great things together. Gates has moved on and Ballmer is now at the reigns...as time moves on things change.

With the passing of Steve Jobs, Apple has hit that point in a slightly more abrupt and painful way. It will join Microsoft soon and will become second-tier news.

Ballmer hasn't failed at all. I think he's done an amazing job and the ride is over. Microsoft is a different company than it used to be.
    Apr 10 02:53 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple App Store Vs. Google Play [View article]
    The 311% growth was not an extrapolation but rather based on current numbers.
    Mar 26 07:46 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Put Borders Out Of Business, Target Is Next [View article]
    Try buying the used books. When you buy the "like new" used books for a $1 with $4 flat-rate shipping, all of a sudden you can save 50% on a $10 book and quite a bit more on anything that costs more...try it. You won't be unhappy.
    Jan 14 10:36 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Put Borders Out Of Business, Target Is Next [View article]
    If you decide to do the analysis on a cost-structure comparison between online and B&Ms, i'ld love to read it. The point of the article was the paradigm shift in retail and what happens if you don't adapt to the change. Negative example, Borders...positive example (I hope), Barnes and Nobles.

It does still remain to be seen whether Amazon can keep up the growth especially since they are spread so thin.

The part thats interesting about all of this is trying to figure out what retail will look like when we come out of the other side.
    Jan 14 04:05 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment