View as an RSS Feed
View Cabot's Articles BY TICKER:
AAPL, ADY, AMSC, AMX, ANF, APWR, ARO, BABA, BAK, BEN, BITA, BLK, BPI, BREW, BSBR, CAR, CBPO, CDXS, CISG, CLH, CMG, COG, CREE, CROX, CRR, CTCT, CTRP, DGWIY, DIS, EA, ELON, ESRX, F, FCX, FEED, FNF, FNSR, FPX, FUQI, GMCR, HMSY, HQSM, HRBN, ISLN, ITUB, JKS, JOBS, LDK, MA, MCP, MELA, MTW, MXWL, MYGN, NFLX, NTAP, NTY, OC, OLED, OPEN, PGJ, PPO, RBCN, RDY, RENN, RGA, RVBD, SFLY, SINA, SLAB, SODA, SQNS, STAR-OLD, STV, T, TAL, TAOM, TM, UGA, VMW, WFM, WSM, XEC, YOKU, Z
Was That The Final Growth Stock Shakeout?
- Comparing the market’s plunge-and-recovery action of the past few weeks to 1999.
- The September-October dip is looking more like the final shakeout of multi-month bases.
- Months of ups and downs have us keeping an open mind that the September/October meltdown might have been enough to launch a sustained rally for growth stocks.
China News, China Noise
- China’s manufacturing has strengthened slightly.
- PowerShares Golden Dragon Halter USX China ETF (PGJ) has bounced strongly.
- But it may take some time for the market to return to real health.
Alibaba 24/7: Guidelines To The Big IPO
- The Alibaba IPO is a big deal.
- One possible influence on Alibaba’s IPO strategy is Facebook’s (FB) IPO in May 2012.
- If you decide to buy, here are a few rules that will at least control potential damage.
What Effect Might Alibaba Have On Other Chinese Stocks?
- China’s Singles Day bests Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
- Alibaba generates 80% of China’s entire online sales.
- How Alibaba’s IPO could affect other Chinese stocks.
Another Cup Of Joe? Keurig Green Mountain
- In less-dynamic economic environments like we’ve seen for the past 12 years, the country’s top talent decides to stay with their company instead of starting their own higher risk ventures.
- That thinking leads us to prior leading stocks that have gone through the wringer, come back to some extent and are setting up again, like GMCR.
- Today, two new catalysts could re-energize GMCR: Bolt brewer and Keurig Cold.
Unintended Chinese Consequences
Thu, Aug. 7 • 4 Comments
- An unusually energetic anti-corruption campaign is being carried out by China's President Xi Jinping.
- The campaign could have a huge effect on the medium-term future of China.
- Possibilities could help some stocks and hurt others.
The Summer Doldrums? Not Usually
- Why “sell in May and go away” is not backed up by data.
- The data behind seasonality since 1980.
- Conclusion: winter is good but summer’s not bad.
Here Come The IPOs
- Since 2013, there’s been a resurgence in IPOs of true growth companies with exciting stories.
- These five recent IPOs could morph into new leaders down the road: GasLog Partners, GrubHub, JD.com, Rice Energy and Zoes Kitchen.
- Handle IPOs with care: Start with smaller than normal positions and add shares as the stocks move higher.
The Alibaba IPO
- Paul Goodwin, Chief Analyst of Cabot China & Emerging Markets Report, takes a look at Alibaba - the Chinese e-commerce giant that will be making its IPO later this summer.
- Paul uses LinkedIn as an example to show how difficult it can be for individual investors to buy a hot issue at its IPO.
- Despite IPO drawbacks, Alibaba will attract enormous investment because potential is huge: Alibaba owns 80% of China’s total e-commerce and 60% of China’s parcel deliveries come from its sales.
- Stock Market Performance From A Different Angle
- 3 Revolutionary Investment Ideas
- For Energy Stocks, Look North Of The 48th Parallel
- The Silent Killers Of Your Stock Portfolio
- Facebook Hype Aside, IPOs Generally Aren't Good Investments
- Finding Bargains In Value Stocks
- 6 Stocks Breaking Out To New Highs Are Your Best Bet
- The 'Conservative Aggressive' Investor
- A Look Back At 2011's Whipsaw Market Moves
- A Great Healthcare Stock For The Next Big Market Move
- 5 Value Stocks For The Holiday Season
- 2 Solid Companies Offering Compelling Value: Abbott, Fred's
- Stocks For New-Energy Investors
- 2 Plays On Natural Gas
- The Auto Industry, Then (2007) And Now
- Silicon Laboratories Is Back In Favor
- China Mobile, Brazil Foods: Two Emerging BRIC Leaders
- Netflix: Don't Confuse The Company With The Stock
- An ETF Strategy To Profit From A Second U.S. Debt Downgrade
- 2 Stocks Warren Buffett And Benjamin Graham Might Like
- A Tale Of Two Coffee Companies
- 3 Potential Earnings Winners
- There Are Still Reasons For Solar To Rebound Eventually