California Dividend Bull

View California Dividend Bull's Comments BY TICKER:
  • A Revised Approach To Retiring With A Decent Dividend Income [View article]
    Hi efactor. Maybe I wasn't explicit on this one, but IBM will qualify for consideration sometime next year the earliest. The next thing will most likely be Walgreens or maybe I'll add to my Target position first.

Anyway, Accenture is currently #18 on my list so before I'd actually consider this stock, I have a long way to go buying shares in companies like Chevron, Novo Nordisk, Nippon Telegraph, Canadian Railway etc.
    Dec 12, 2013. 02:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Revised Approach To Retiring With A Decent Dividend Income [View article]
    Thanks for your thoughts, Bob. I see where you come from. Currently Medtronic is not showing up on my screening list which means that I have turned off automatic dividend reinvestment (which I do for all holdings currently not considered a buy). Same goes for Aflac, Pepsi and some other stock I bought earlier.

However, looking at the firm's streak of increasing dividends for 36 years in a row and its dividend growth rate of 8-16% throughout the past five years, I don't really care for the current yield. I am not retired, I have at least 20 years to compound payments without touching any of that principal. As long as MDT increases their payouts on an annual basis and nothing big happens to the business model, I'll keep it in my portfolio and use the dividends they send my way to buy other stocks. If they some day show up on my buy list again, I'll consider adding to my position ;-)
    Dec 12, 2013. 02:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Revised Approach To Retiring With A Decent Dividend Income [View article]
    Oh boy, what have I started here. Thanks for all the accolade. Is there nobody out there who would disagree with my way of thinking? We all know that confirmation bias is a rather bad thing in investing and although I'm happy that so many fellow SA readers like what I'm doing, I'd also like to see a different point of view once in a while ;-)

I appreciate your thoughts about AT&T and I did look at some of the quoted sources. However, I have made up some very simple rules for my screening process and I intend to stick to them. Today I make an exception with T and then what's next? Tomorrow I might end up in a complicated filtering process which is counterproductive to what I want to achieve, i.e. a SIMPLE approach to retiring with a decent dividend income.

There's a ton of well managed companies out there which fit perfectly into my framework and which return massive cash loads to their shareholders year after year. I plan on holding a total of at least 30 diversified stocks across all sectors. Why bother if one or another falls through the gutter?
    Dec 12, 2013. 02:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Revised Approach To Retiring With A Decent Dividend Income [View article]
    Thank you for the kind words Robert. I really appreciate it. Guess who is one of the guys responsible for teaching me that kind of thinking;-)
    Dec 11, 2013. 10:21 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Revised Approach To Retiring With A Decent Dividend Income [View article]
    Thanks and don't worry about that ;-)
    Dec 11, 2013. 10:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Debate on Target heats up [View news story]
    is it time to increase positions in TGT yet or do you think there'll be more of a markdown in the coming weeks? I'm currently down 2% in one account and 8% in the other, so increasing my ownership positions in this fine company has a huge potential to bring the cost basis down and increase the quarterly dividend check.
    Dec 5, 2013. 11:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Most popular hedge fund shorts according to Goldman monitor [View news story]
    Historically the stock market advances pretty steadily with an annual average anywhere between 7 and 10 per cent. Since NOBODY can over the long run predict and time the market, it is a good idea to always invest set amounts of dollars e.g. on a monthly or quarterly basis. When prices are higher you buy less shares and when prices are lower you buy more shares, a.k.a. dollar-cost-averaging.

If your investment horizon is long enough this is the only strategy which will give you both financial success and a deep and sound sleep at night. The contradictory market information will always be out there because there are 10 different opinions when you ask 10 different people. Just ignore it, do your own research and stick to the strategy you find working for you.
    Nov 27, 2013. 07:34 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Most popular hedge fund shorts according to Goldman monitor [View news story]
    Oh boy, now I have to panic because my dividend portfolio has several holdings of these companies! My retirement plans are about to collapse immediately and irreversibly! My family and I are going to apply for food stamps...

Seriously, is anyone reading this crap anymore? Some of these companies pay out several billion dollars each year to their shareholders. Why would anyone consider selling or shorting their positions? Makes no sense like 98% of all those market news out there...
    Nov 25, 2013. 04:53 PM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Speed and service a new focus at McDonald's [View news story]
    I love my stock but we're kinda avoiding the restaurants recently. Last week I had to wait a full 10 minutes to get my two McRibs, a current prime product. And the restaurant was half empty around lunch time. Even getting a cup of coffee and a hash brown in the morning can take up to five minutes. This is just insane for someone who claims to have invented the "fast food" industry.

I back AvgJoe's concern about the size of the menu. But to be fair, I have this problem at most of these food joints these days. There's just too much in the offering and most listings above the counter are too small and too fuzzy to find the prices, sizes and the like. That's something they should improve especially with older people in the target patronage...
    Nov 18, 2013. 04:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Finally, Microsoft Makes The Key Shifts Investors Are Looking For [View article]
    So what exactly are the key shifts investors have been waiting for? I entered this article and found nothing about that. Could you help me out please.
    Nov 6, 2013. 11:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • UBS cuts Lockheed Martin to sell [View news story]
    Did you see the current coming in from Citi? They keep up the BUY rating for LMT!
    Aug 19, 2013. 04:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Citi raises price targets on defense stocks [View news story]
    WTH? This morning UBS rated LMT down to sell and Citi KEEPS it on BUY! Better do your own research folks! These rating/research agencies have become so useless these days...
    Aug 19, 2013. 03:59 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • UBS cuts Lockheed Martin to sell [View news story]
    I'm not going to sell one of my best holdings! LMT has gone up 33% since I started buying it in January and I intend to hold for as long as I live (as long as the earnings and business fundamentals don't change that is). I agree though that it's not a strong buy right now since the P/E ratio is 30% over its 5 year average.
    Aug 19, 2013. 01:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Are WisdomTree's Dividend ETFs Doing? [View article]
    The timing of this article is funny. Today I received an email from my broker Chuck Schwab that they have built up SIX new "Fundamental Index ETFs". The headliner says "Unlike traditional cap-weighted ETFs, which are defined by the total value of their shares, our new Schwab Fundamental Index ETFs seek to offer better risk-adjusted returns over time by considering metrics like adjusted sales, cash flow, and dividends plus buybacks. "

Looks like David fish hit the bulls-eye with his assumption that our beloved brokers just try to take advantage of the current DGI hype.
    Aug 15, 2013. 05:35 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lockheed Martin gets the thumbs up from Jim Cramer [View news story]
    I loaded up on LMT for 89 and 93. Would never sell it unless there's a huge deterioration of the business model or a dividend cut.
    Aug 15, 2013. 11:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment